1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New puppu sick. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Riley'sMom, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

Hi. =P~ I am a first time mom to a toy dog: a beautiful matlese named Riley. I just picked him up yesterday at 7weeks. I've carefully watched him periodically throughout the night, he slept mostly until about 6:00 this morning when he realized he was alone and started to whine. I took him to his first check up, and found out he has coccidia :( My heart was broken to find out my little boy is sick already. He hasn't eaten on his own since he's been at his new home, I've hand fed him and forced himt to eat in fear that if he doesnt eat his blood sugar is going to get too low. In years past I have had a 6/7 week old lab to die from coccidia b/c we were unaware before it was too late. Can ANYONE help to releive some of the stress and anxiety about my new baby and him being sick, and things that can help him out to make sure he's going to be okay.

I dont think I would be as worried if I hadnt had a puppy in the past to pass away due to coccidia. If I were to go on the Dr.'s reaction, by what he said he's going to be fine as long as he gets his medicine and he's eating and drinking. I'm just REALLY scared any encouragement or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced,
    a nEwBiE,
    Lindsay
    A.K.A Riley's mom :D

2. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

So sorry

I am sorry the pup is sick and I know this is going to sound cold but you said you only picked up the puppy yesterday. Did you get any kind of health certificate or guarantee when you purchased your puppy? It is obvious that you bought a sick puppy and the person who sold it to you has some responsibility not to sell sick puppies. :cry:

also here is some information from a previous post on the boards

http://www.auspet.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000091.html

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I'm so sorry that your new puppy is sick :cry: :cry:

I agree w/Deb... since you just got your puppy yesterday, you should be covered by a health gaurantee (if you got one).

I've never heard of coccidia.. what exactly is it?

4. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

poo girl

if you click on that link in my post there is some good information on this topic.

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Thanks Deb, I didn't notice the link before :roll:

I'll go check it out :D

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Definatly take it aback and explain the problem. Surely she knew the puppy was sick. I imagine if it was, the rest of the litter was too!
    Just giver her her meds, try and boil some chicken. She may not eat as much with the meds, it might be upsetting her little tummy. But chicken broth and boiled chicken might appeal to her.

7. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

I have a paper from the breeder stating at the top:

"I GUARENTEE THIS PUPPY FOR A PERIOD OF 72 HRS FROM THE DATE WRITTEN ABOVE. (april 6, 2004) IF THE PUP DOES NOT EAT OR DRINK PROPERLY DURING THIS TIME, PLEASE CALL IMMEDIATELY."

But just in the time I've had Riley, I'm already fallin' in love with him, there is no way I could trade him in for another puppy. I guess I will just monitor him today and through the night and if he doesnt start eating on his own I'll take him back to see if she can nurse him and watch him until he gets better, b/c with school and work I cant be there watching him like I'd need to. Any suggestions?

Riley's Mom

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I am not a breeder but does that part about If the puppy doesnt eat or drink regularly contact her immediatley sound right? I wonder if she knew they were sick and added that in there.

Anyway, good luck with your little pup and please keep us updated on him!

9. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi Rileys mom ever dog that i have bought from a breeder had a health guarntee I know you love your little baby and you said in your post that the vet said he would be ok if he eats. If you want to keep him and nurse him back to health that is fine but i would call the person that you got him from and let them know and tell them you want to keep the baby but they should help pay for the vet bills or refund you some money or something

Just my thoughts i hope your baby gets better soon let us know

Rene

10. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I was wondering the same thing! I haven't purchased my puppies yet, so I have never seen what is written in a gaurantee, but regardless that line about not eating gives the impression that she knew the puppy was ill.. Of course I could be wrong too!

I wish your puppy the best, please keep up posted!

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I wouldn't think the clause about the puppy not eating was added in. Most guarantees that I have read, and heard of, are pre-written and used for every "sale." In other words, most guarantees are not custom tailored to each indivdual pup sold (if they were, I would be afraid that the breeder was fully aware of certain conditions in the individual dog, and is not disclosing them).

Just wanted to put in my opinion about that! :wink:

Anyhow Rileysmom, I hope that your little guy is feeling better, and fully recovers soon!!! :D

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

does sound very fishy to me! Thats usually a sign of the illness, and obviously she's had this problem before and added that in to be on the safe side. I would call her anyhow and just let her know whats up.

13. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I tried to post earlier this week but the site was down ....Okay ..
    First coccidia is an internal parasite ,affects puppies mainly .I had never heard of it until a few years ago when one of mine came down with it after I purchsed a poodle from another breeder that had it .
    Hard to get rid of once you are exposed to it though .Clorox does not kill the parasite ,but the old brown lysol really used heavy will .SO I would clean the floors and bedding with it ,not the new types lysol but the type you have to mix .
    Now ...the vet should have given you Albon for the puppy .That will take care of that in the puppy's system .Also the breeder has to be aware of it if she took the puppy to her vet cause he would have told her and she would have had it on Albon ...
    The eating part ....although what she wrote is fishy to me ...stress can cause a puppy not to eat right for a few days after going to a new home ,Some have to coax puppies to eat with various methodds .aAny breeder should tell you that when under stress a new puppy could not eat right and to be prepared with nutri-cal and other products just in case .
    I would call the breeder and the vet and make sure you are doing what your vet says to do .
    Coccidia will not kill if treated ...your vet should have toldyou and prescribe the course to get it out of the system the best .I know there are a few other products besides Albon (a sulfer antibiotic ) that will help fight it .The problem with coccidia is that Albon does not kill t but keeps it from multiplying until the puppy ridsa itself of the parasite .Stress does play a large factor in producing coccida eggs .So when a puppy goes to a new home ,under stress the coccidia will multiply very fast .Take your baby to your vet now !

14. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Malti,
    I have been sitting and waiting for you to post! I knewwwwww you'd know all about this topic! :) you always give great advice :idea:

15. ilovemaltipoos

I couldn't post for 2 days and about worried to death about that baby .A vet should have explanined that coccidia is more common now than about any parasite and even if a fecal does not show an egg ,they could still have it .Because I do rescue ,I treat all my puppies as a precaution ,but every now and then it will pop up after a new rescue puppy or if I purchase a puppy from another breeder .Also adults can carry coccidia and you would never know until it pops up in yours .My vet says that it is more common than fleas ,but ofcourse he was kidden ' but it took off fast ,just like most illinesses do .And also birds carry a form of it and I have birds and then there are wild birds (normal birds that fly in the sky ) ,they all carry coccidia ad other things like campylobactor and can give that also to your dogs by your dogs walking in their leavings ,so don't think for one minute it is only breeders,although a breeder should know and treat and tell you ,but it can come from alot of sources and it is very common .one of my vets say most puppies are born with it now .

16. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

UPDATE on RIley/maltese puppy

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but you know how it is taking care of a new one in the house. :?

Riley's doing great, I gave him his medicine like the vet prescribed, I fed him every 4 hours even through the night to keep his sugar level up, and even gave him Karo syrup a couple times a day to make sure it didnt drop, gave him a lot of love and attention. Now he's holding his own like a normal puppy should; very sweet lovable, and so very special.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support and helping me through this, its so nice to know that there is always someone out there offering a helping hand. Thank you!! As soon as I get my filmed developed I'll be sure to share my little maltese bundle of joy :D

Lindsay's
    AKA Riley's Momma :wink:

17. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: GREAT to hear Riley's mom!!!

Thank you for updating us, and I am glad to hear that he is better and doing well! :D

18. ilovemaltipoos

:eek: Great !!! Glad to hear he is doing good :eek: