1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie w/ poo questions - off topic?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by BellaPoo, Jul 23, 2004.

1. BellaPoo

BellaPoo New Member

Hi Everyone!

I've been looking for a message board & glad I found this! I'm getting a Shihpoo next Thursday & can't wait! :lol: She will be exactly 8 weeks old when I pick her up & solid black.

So here's the deal.... I don't have any experience with small breed dogs although I am a dog owner. I've had a german shep & currently a mom to a walking carpet - a male collie named Kacy.

I love the small breeds and the look they have. I'm curious to know if anyone used hair bows on Shihpoos? I've seen other small breeds use them but not a Shihpoo. Is it possible? I'm wanting to make this female a "girly" dog. :D I live with a house full of men and (hubby & 2 sons) so I want this little gal to be mine.

Can anyone offer bow advice?

2. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

First, welcome to the boards!!! Glad you found us.. you will love it here :D

Second, congrats on your new shih-poo!!!!! I'm sure next Thursday can't come soon enough! It wasn't long ago when I was waiting for our girls! Is it safe to say you've already named her Bella? I love it!

I have two female shih-poos, Molly and Emma. They are littermates and we've had them almost 2 months now. I have not attempted to put any bows in their hair though! My husband is already dreading the potential bandanas that they'll get when we take them to the groomers for the first time next Friday! :lol:

Perhaps others have done this & have thoughts. I can't wait to hear all about your new puppy & see pictures!!

3. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! :)
    And congratulations on your new baby! You must post pictures of her so we can all see what a doll she is......

as far as the bow... I have a boy, but will tell you that he got a Halloween Bow the first time he went to the groomers. It worked fine and if he was a girl, I would have allowed it....his dad said that he looked like a sissy and to "kindly remove it"... (although not necessarily those words, if you know what i mean! LOL)

As you will find out, Shihpoos can grow a long coat or you can have her trimmed to a short puppy cut. Obviously the shorter the hair, the less likely a bow will work.... I think it'll just be preference. :)

4. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

Trixie's hair does get long enough to put up. I only did it once though and she didn't like it too much.. Anywayz we try to keep her fur as short as possible now but it grows so fast. If u click on the link there is her pic. with a little pony tail on her head http://www.dogster.com/?31347

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: WELCOME BellaPoo...glad you found us!!! :eek:

A huge congrats to you on your first shih-poo!!! I have two shih-poos myself, and I just love them to death, they're the best! :y_the_best:

(Is it just me, or are we getting more and more shih-poo owners here?!?! It's great!!! :wink: )

As far as bows go, yes, you shouldn't have a problem getting one on her (given that you keep her hair at a longer length). Whether she will not rip it off and chew it up, is a whole new story! :lol:

We would love to see pics of your shih-poo when she comes home!!! :D

6. BellaPoo

BellaPoo New Member

Thanks - from Bella's Mom

Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I've already picked out her name...Bella. I'll post pictures as soon as she comes home, and I figure out how to post them.

BTW, my name is Chris - guess I should include that. LOL!

Thanks again for the warm welcome - I think I finally found a decent message board home! :eek:

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi Chris~

Aw, what a cute name for your little shih-poo!!! :y_the_best: (If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is another shih-poo named Bella on the board - I think the board member's name is Bellasmommy?!?!)

I know exactly what you mean! Rest assured though, this board is indeed a good one...be careful though, it's very addicting!!! :)

Have a great weekend! :D

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

oh noooooooooo another shihpoo new mommy named Chris!! :)

(hehe...just teasing.... poogirl is a new mommy named Chris/Christine) :)

9. nern

nern New Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new puppy! :D

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

You're soooo right, MyBabyShih! Where did Bellasmommy go!? IF i remember right, I don't think we've seen her since the board switched to the new format!! hmm...... it's been a long time!! We need her and precious's mom to come back!

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Phew, I'm glad I remembered correctly! :)

I COMPLETELY agree!!! :y_the_best:

Hopefully they'll pop in sometime soon! :D

12. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

LOL!!! I was going to post saying "hey, I'm a Chris too!!" but you beat me too it!

We must join forces Chris... hee hee

13. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I was thinking the same thing!! I've never seen so many posts on shih-poos & new shih-poo owners before!

(the word is out... they rock!)

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hello and welcome. Besides the typical puppy antics small dogs are very much alike the larger ones. The can get away with more because owers think what they do is cute instead of bothersome. They then turn into little terrors. So don't bend the rules for the little one. She needs to obey the rules of the house too.

BOWS YES oh yeah. One more thing. With the poodle gene in your dog, the first time you have you pup clipped, expect her to come home a lighter shade of black, possibly gray. I'm serious. The only way she won't change colors is if she takes on the shizu genes in a gig way. Poodles almost always change in color. SOOOOOOOOO expect it ok.

15. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

oh, that's interesting Puttin... I never knew the change in color was from the poodle side! It makes sense tho! And yup.... Bailey's first trip to the groomer brought home a much lighter doggy.....! :)

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Did you know silver poodles are born completely black. After their first feet face , tail trim you see the difference within the first few weeks I'd say.

17. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

No I didn't know that!! What a trip... That's amazing! :)

18. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

WELCOME BELLA AND CHRIS. I don;t know about your dog but i put a bow in BoBo's hair to keep it out of his eyes. He's my Yorkie baby. There is alot of very nice people here.