1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

not hungry puppy lab?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MILO, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MILO

MILO New Member

Good Point.

Do you think to switch him to adult food now is to soon. He weighs around 60 pounds now.

2. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I don't have much experience with larger dogs, but I believe that they still grow for the first 2 years of their life, so i would think you would wait a little longer to switch to adult food. You can always call your vet and ask about that.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Actually, I believe with large breeds you are supposed to switch to adult food sooner. Many breeders switch at 4 months, I believe. A large breed dog should be grown more slowly, to avoid future problems with joints. It is MUCH better for them to be slightly underweight than to be overweight.

About switching foods - it's a good practice to select 2-4 different high-quality foods and then rotate them throughout the year. That way, the dog gets a different mix of proteins and vitamins, etc. Every food is different.

However, I wouldn't hand feed the dog or coddle him when he doesn't eat. That just sets you up for all sorts of weirdness around meal time. If he got into something, his tummy is probably just upset. If it is hot, he may just have less appetite. I would put down what you want him to eat, then pick it up in 20 minutes or so and don't give it back until the next scheduled feeding.

If he continues to not eat enough, he isn't passing stool, or starts vomiting or acting lethargic, give your vet a call!

4. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Aha, I knew it. Sounds gross but you should try to identify that object you found in his stool. Hopefully it was only one of whatever it was that he ate.
    I was at the emergency room with Duke one Sunday, he had inhaled some water after a brief spat with a Golden over a toy both were trying to retrieve from the middle of the pond at the dog park. Anyway, a lady brought in a very large black lab puppy who had distroyed her cell phone. She said she had acounted for most of the pieces except for the BATTERY.
    Last I saw of that pup he was on the way for Xrays.
    Point is, if it can fit in a Labs mouth, they will probably eat it. If it can't fit in a Labs mouth, they will first tear it apart, then eat it. If they can't tear it apart, they will find something else to eat. :lol:

Duke, at four and a half, has finally outgrown "puppyhood" and now only eats sticks and stuff he finds in the yard.

5. MILO

MILO New Member

Best quote I ever heard!