1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Not sure my chihuahua is purebred

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by zarate, Apr 13, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hey all, I'm new to the dog section of auspet, I'm normall in the bird section. Here's my concern....On February 10, 2005 my husband and I picked up our 8 week old chihuahua. I saw a pic of him on the net before we went to get him. The lived in Indiana, and we lived in Wisconsin so we met half-way. On the phone they told me he was about 2Lbs. But when we got there he seemed bigger than what we expected a chi puppy to be. But I still had to have him he was so sweet, and it was my Valentines day present. The people we got him from did not have any water for him for the trip and said they forgot to feed him that morning. And that was a long trip for us, and even longer for the poor puppy. So they said they gave him cheetos! An 8 week old puppy eating people food! Right away I knew I wasn't dealing with genious people. Anyways when I finally got an appointment with our vet he was almost 3 months old, and the vet asked what he was, and I told him he was a chihuahua. He asked "mixed with what?" So...my question is, is it possible for me to have a mixed chi puppy, even tho he's registered? I've got his pedigree in my hands and right on it, it says purebred. When he was in the vet around 11 weeks old he was only able to get 1 shot and we have to get his next 2 shots this week. Anyways when he went to the vet at 11 weeks, he weighed 4.5 pounds. And the vet says he should weigh twice as much as he does when he's 4 months old. I don't know if I got ripped off (even tho I'd never give back my puppy, he's a huge part of the family) or my vet is not so accurate with his judgments? He's a good guy we've gone there for 20 + years. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be sure and get all the details. I've had 2 chi's before, but were 8 years old when I got them, and never been around a chi puppy before. Aren't their ears supposed to be erect? Because the tips of my pups ears fold a bit and are not erect. Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
    -Mandi

2. lil96

lil96 New Member

someone recently posted about something similar, but in that post someone said, it could be possible to forge papers (which btw, who is the dog registered with?) but they said people would give dead parents name on the papers.
    But yes chi puppies ears do fold over for a while. Good luck I am sure you can find useful info around here.

3. zarate

zarate New Member

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the info lil96!
    He does look like a chi, and he hasn't grown much since his last vet visit. I'm curious to see how much he weighs now. His tail does curl like most descriptions say they should. As far as him liking just his owner...he likes EVERYONE! I've socialized him from the day I got him. I've got a big family and take him everywhere with me. At first he didn't like anyone, but now he's completely different. He loves to play with my cat (he's 20LBS!!) They get along great. Also he does get along with other dogs besides chi's. My mom has a beagle pup a few months older than mine and they play...they never stop, I can be there for hours with my dog and they don't leave each others side, they get tired, but they haven't calmed down with each other. They never fight, just play. We rarely hear a growl, only when they have a toy and are playing tug of war, but both their tails are wagging. Even if he does turn out to be a mix, it's not his fault and I've bonded with him too much. Also, a friend of mine has a buddy who has a chi puppy for me, a little girl. She's 5 months old now and said they could give her to me, so I think for small dogs it's better to have 2 especially when my husband and I are at work. The person that has the chi puppy has other dogs, so chances are the other one gets along with dogs too. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I just stick with one? BTW Chavo is my puppy's name. Thanks again!
    -Mandi

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ive seen quite a few larger sized chi's, never got into the breeding issues or anything so I can only go by what others have told me. However just the fact that these breeders did not take care of this puppy while travelling (a puppy, especially a small breed should never go without food for more than about 2 hours....and Cheetos-in my opinion- is not food) would have me suspicious of anything, when they say that the dog is registered, as lil said you should be able to check that out.
    It sounds as though its not an issue though now as youve bonded which is great.
    The ears often dont stand all the way up usually until about 4-6 months, I had a German Shepherd years ago who had floppy ears his whole life although I believe that may have been because my Sheltie mix found them useful as a 'toy' and would drag him around the floor by them....he seemed to enjoy the attention so I never stopped her (shame on me :oops: )
    As for getting another puppy, it sounds as though youve done a great job socializing this puppy and as long as they get along then I dont see why it should be a problem,
    Oh and one more thing....2 puppies=twice as much work :lol: loads of fun though...I cant remember the last time I had only 1 dog :shock:

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Is his size the only reason you think he may be mixed. I too have seen many different sizes. From two lbs to over ten. Can you post a picture of him? The ears don't matter. They may go erect when older, or when he's listening to things then let them flop again. If its that he simply doesn't look like you think he should, could be he was bred with chi's that had different sized mothers grandmother, you know what i mean. Could be pulling froma whatever gene pool. Post a picture.

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I just wanted to add that "papers" don't guarantee a quality dog. It sounds like you have a great dog--so I wouldn't worry about any of that. Unless you want to breed him.

:D Pictures please!!

7. zarate

zarate New Member

more chi puppy q's

Hey everyone, thanks for all your input. I definately should have researched more about the breeder I got my pup from. Papers are not important to me, all we wanted was a lil chi pup to make part of our family. Right now he's not unusually large in my opinion, but I guess the comments from others asking what he's mixed with makes me wonder. I am upset that someone would lie about papers...I'm not sure they did...but I wouldn't put it past them. I think of buying this pup from them as saving the pup, because these people weren't picky about who they sold their puppies to, so he could have easily gone to a bad home.
    I can use my brothers camera to take a pic, but I have no clue how to post it. To me he looks like a chi, and he's got the cutest face! Thanks again everyone.
    -Mandi

8. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

this is my chi and he is a purebreed ... his daddy was a champion...

[​IMG]

9. zarate

zarate New Member

cute chi pic laura

Laura my chi is almost that color. He's kind of a rusty red color with a black tail (which as he gets older he's got very little black) and he's got 4 white paws and behind his front legs, on his body the rust color lightens, and he's got a white chest. So how old is your chi, and how much does he weigh? That's neat your dogs daddy is a champ. I don't believe my pup has any champion in his bloodline. He's sooooooo full of love, it's amazing. The people we got our chi from said the parents were 5 and 6 pounds....I didn't get to see them, but am searching for an e-mail to ask for pics. I do have their phone number tho...so I could call them and have them e-mail it to me. Thanks for sharing your chi pic!!
    -Mandi

10. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

he is a bit fat... lol he weighs anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs... depending on if it is summer or winter... he is a lazy bum LOL he is 6 now I believe... I would have to get out his papers because I can never remember stuff like that LOL it is the old age kickin in I think :shock:

11. zarate

zarate New Member

reply to laura's post

We used to have 2 older chi's...we got them from a lady who had them their whole life and I have NO idea why she got rid of them. They were brother and sister, and so loving. She didn't take good care of them, that was obvious. Chocolate the little girl was just as round as she was long, and Oreo the little boy was just the opposite, he was very thin and he never did gain a whole lot of weight the vet said that's just how he was. But their nails were curled under, the lady claimed they couldn't clip their nails unless they were put under. That's too dangerous to put them under as often as lil chi's need their nails clipped. So the first time we had the vet do it (While they were awake) then after that we did it ourselves. And their teeth were awful. The male had about 10 or so teeth pulled, the rest were cleaned, he barely had any left! The girl had 4 pulled. They would get mad at you if you left them at home when you went somewhere, so they would get even with you and piddle on the floor LOL. It was kinda funny, but not fun to clean up. They loved to go everywhere. They were my inspiration to get another chi, this time a puppy so I could properly house train him :)
    But I'll never forget chocolate and oreo! They never barked, and I mean never. We did hear oreo one day when the doorbell rang, but it was just one bark and he was done. Silly pup!
    -Mandi
    PS, sorry for the long post