1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

on thursday getting new fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by otmmy205, Feb 2, 2005.

1. otmmy205

otmmy205 New Member

on thursday i am getting a arowana

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

nice....what size tank and what kind of arro are you looking for?

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Nice. More info please! :y_the_best:

4. gravity

gravity New Member

WOW! Big bucks! The really nice LFS a few cities over (there's over 1 million residents in my county, so every 3 stoplights is a different city) sells Arowanas for as much as $400. They also won't sell it to you unless you bring in a water sample BEFORE you buy the fish. Very pretty fish, though. If I win the lottery....

5. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Gravity, I'm in DC... where is the "really nice" LFS???

I'm stuck with Petco & Petsmart so far...

6. gravity

gravity New Member

There's 2 of them, actually. They're both on Little River Turnpike, too. One is called Super Pets, it's in a shopping center just off of Little River and Backlick Road in Annandale, VA. I think the actual street it's on is John Marr, but it's facing Little River behind a Popeye's. Here's a link:

http://annandalesuperpets.com/

The other, which I haven't yet gone to, is called Wally's Aquarium and is supposedly very good. It's in Alexandria, again, on Little River Turnpike. Here's another link:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wallysaquarium/

I got this address off their site: 6493 Little River Turnpike, Alexandria, Virginia 22312

Super Pets is the one I was referring to in my previous post. They take VERY good care of their fish, and the pricing is only slightly more than the chain stores. Bigger selection, cleaner and healthier fish are worth the trade off an extra dollar or two. I've heard Wally's is the same or even better than Super Pets, but I haven't yet been there because I'd filled my tanks before I heard anything about them.

There's another, smaller good one in Centreville, VA, but it's not worth the commute from DC if you're only looking for fish, since the other 2 are so close. That one's called the Centreville Aquarium. They do have a large coral display that dominates the front of their store. In fact, if I was going to start a saltwater tank, I'd probably go there to get the live rock and coral.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

gravity-

How big are the arowanas they sell for $400? I always thought the prices we pay in Canada are ridiculous but I've seen arowanas (around 4-5") for as little as $15.00 and larger ones (over 1') for $1,000-$4,000. :?

8. gravity

gravity New Member

They actually had a couple of different colors, but they were different sizes. They had silver, blue, and I believe gold or yellow arowanas. The one that was $400 was blue, about 10 inches long, and was simply stunning to look at. It was also in the store's main freshwater display tank. I imagine a wealthy diplomat or businessman probably bought that one pretty quick. The silver arowanas were about 5 inches and were about $30.

9. otmmy205

otmmy205 New Member

its a silver arowna its about 4-5 inches for $22.62 canadian

10. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

:shock:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Ill never get that kind of fish!!

Oh just curious, is that fish tropical or what?

:shock: [​IMG]

11. M_wm

M_wm New Member

When arrowanas hatch they are 4" so becareful that yours yoke sac is completely gone and it is healthy! It is still propably a youngen

12. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Here what they look like when the are let out of the parents mouth
    [​IMG]

13. Ellie

Ellie New Member

My sibling wants one how are they and what kind if tank do you need?

Im sorry if this isnt the right way to post :oops:

14. Chicksgirl

Chicksgirl New Member

If you get a silver arowana you'll need a tank around 300G. They get around 3'.

15. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea...arrowannas are out of most peoples ability to care for.

16. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yeah they can be a tough fish to care for. If your up to it I think it might be worth it.