1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

One Testicle?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Nik, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Nik

Nik New Member

Hi,
    I took Floob in to be castrated this morning and they phoned me within minutes to say he only had one testicle so the opperation *could* be a big one now as they have to go in to find the other one. They advised I still went ahead with it as leaving the other one inside *could lead to cancer in it later on and other problems.

I was scared enough about him going in but was holding it together. Now I just phoned them at 3 as they said to but he's not well enough to have a going home time yet so I have to phone them back at 4.

I'm beside myself here :(

Has anyone got any experience with this kind of thing? Is it any different to a 'normal' castration? I'm asking here cause I know when I get to the vets I'll just goto peices and forget to ask.

Thanks

2. Hi Nik, Yes my dog chuck (no longer with us :( ) was the same way. His operation was pretty expensive, I remember that much. But I had them go ahead because they told me the same thing about possibly getting cancer. The testicle that is left inside will heat up, or something like that. Make sure you ask your vet to explain everything to you real well. The surgery was pretty invasive, I do recall that. So you're saying they didn't remove it, right? perhaps you can go back at a later date and have it removed.

keep us posted...

Susan

P.s. I'm sorry if I scared you! hang in there :D

3. nern

nern New Member

Like Susan said, its more invasive....its probably closer to a spay in this way. I'm sure Floob will be fine but because its more invasive surgery his recovery time will probably be a little longer.

I found this site that talks about it:
    http://www.mesavet.com/library/cryptorchidism.htm
    "The neutering procedure is a bit more difficult than a normal neuter because the retained testicle is basically lost. The retained testicle can remain within the abdomen or it can be "inguinal" which means under the skin in the groin region. If it is not felt under the skin, an abdominal exploratory needs to be performed in order to find it for removal."

4. Nik

Nik New Member

Hi, thanks guys :)

I told them to go ahead and do whatever they needed to do so they went in and found the little runaway ball :D

It was inguinal, so he just has 2 wounds instead of one and it cost twice as much... but he's twice as drowsy so my life's a little easier hehe.

He seems ok today and has pee'd and ate some breakfast so tomorrow I know he'll be back to normal... or as normal as he ever gets.

He's somehow manging to push the bucket collar up so far that he can nibble at the stitches, even tho I've just bought him a bigger one :x Looks like another night's sleep with one eye open.

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Nik: Glad they were able to locate the "runaway ball". hehe. I am sure he will recover just fine. Good luck in the next couple of days. Those collars didn't work for Harley either. I don't know how she did it, but it was almost off every time.

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

They bounce back fine. My sisters poodle was obliviuous to the fact he had surgury. If the females can have an invasive surgery and handle it fine why not the males.