1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Osacr Varieties Which One Should I Try Out?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Sep 7, 2004.

?

What Oscar Should I Get For The 55 Gallon?

1. Tiger Oscar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red Oscar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Albino Oscar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Long-Finned Oscar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Which Oscar type should I try. The long fin looks awesome, tiger is pretty, and albino seems more personality.

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Today at walmart of all places had the coolest looking tiger oscar I have ever seen, it almost glowed it was so nice.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It all comes down to personal preference and what's actually available in your area. You're the one who has to keep the fish so it doesn't really matter what the rest of us like.

-Chelle

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I was at the LSF and they sold a like 8-10 inch tiger oscar for $25!!!

5. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

All of them are available where I live for like $5.00 each. I am just seeing if one is smarter than the other ones? Or is it just "the oscar" in different colors?

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

go for a tiger oscar, they are cool, get them when they are small cause then u can watch them grow. Personally i dont like albino fish, there isnt much color to brighten up the tank.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Oscars are all the same species. Any differences in personality will be based on the individual fish, not what variety it is.

The only special considerations you have to make for the different varieties are lutinos/albinos tend to have poorer eye sight and the long finned ones need a fairly empty tank so they don't rip their fins.

-Chelle

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I don't think I have seen the long finned type.

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I think that the albinos are nice and unique. I have seen tanks with both oscars and piranhas in them, are they compatible?

10. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

All i see with albino ones is they are pinkish. not much personality in their color.

11. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I would defiantely not put them together but I supposse if the tank is very well fed they wouldnt eat the big ones. I also saw a video of piranhas eating a mouse and i noticed 2 albino oscars in it.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think that given a large enough tank, oscars and piranhas might be able to cohabitate, but it would probably take a couple hundred gallons.

-Chelle

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Thanks, cause the reason why I asked was because I saw pics and vids of piranhas and oscars together.

14. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

what i do is: I stand infront of the "Oscar tank" and just watch them for about 10 - 15 mins.
    i find the oscar that cathes my eye by making me laugh or doing something funny, thats the one i get.

and no........im not strange! :lol:
    lolololol

15. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Lol. thats normal... your not the only I am sure. I will have to try that one out too. :wink:

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Really, that's the best thing to do. First make sure there are no signs of disease then just pick one that catches your eye.

I didn't used to like albino/lutino oscars, but when I got Sherbert, she just really got my attention because she was a solid pale pinkish orange with no dark orange scales at all. I'd never seen one like that before so I got her.

-Chelle