1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar is King of the Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by GodsChld, May 11, 2005.

1. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

Ok so walt, aka mr king of the water has killed almost everything in my tank.....i bought him when he was about 1.5" long and bought three balas (4") and a pictus cat (3.5").....all of this in a 125 figuring the balas get pretty big and the cat would get fairly big.....wrong

the balas are about 5" now and there are also only 2 left (other was eaten) and the pictus cat, who i thought the oscar would leave alone since he is a bottom feeder, was floating at the top of the water when i came home last week due to an oscar attack......he seems to not bother the other two balas at all.....

So that leaves me with a 125 gallon tank, with 3 fish in it

my question is....anything i can put in there that my oscar will not eat (he is about 9" long now)???

2. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

No not really.. maybe a big placo. Make sure is you do get one. have a good hidding place from him to live. and when you put him in the tank, distract the oscar and place the pleco right where the cover is. I have an oscat as well. to see a pic of him go to an old posting "Pics of flash" is the name of it I think. I have a pleco as well and they get along allright. the oscar will have its moments

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

put a divider in and add another oscar wait till the new oscar can hold its own they with create territory's when you remove the divider

4. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

i thought you should have four/five or more oscars for them to be happy.....you think two would be ok???

If so can i get an red or albino instead of a tiger (which i have already??)

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

in my 125 i have a oscar and luntio oscar and 3 silver dollars with pleco's

6. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

Cool cool

what did you use as a divider?

7. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

Oscars are usually solitary fish that will get along with other Oscars that are bigger/as big as the other. I had two Oscars for 17 years and we couldn't put anything in there because they would gang up on it and literly annoy it to death. I went through 3 Pacos and some sharks.
    Good luck on your fish thing though

8. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

so you are thinking i should just leave it as is......or else the balas may be taken out!

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i cut a sheet of acrylic

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

With your oscar as aggressive as it is and with it being in the tank (and claiming it as its territory) all this time, I honestly wouldn't try add anything else.

-Chelle

11. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

and chelle will ruin all my hopes! i knew the voice of reason would come out eventually!

I will post my next question in another thread!

Thanks a lot all!

~BC

12. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

In my tank I have two silver dollars and they seem to be ok.
    My O does try to chase the dollars but they are far, far two quick for him.
    Also, with there being 2 of them, they seem to watch each others back and act as a look out for each other. :D

13. BubbasNannie

BubbasNannie New Member

What I have with My Oscars

I have had my two oscars in a 55 gallon tank for about 3-4 months now. I had them in a 2.5 gallon then moved them to a 10 gallon and finally to their 55 gallon. But from the begining. I had the two oscars and a sucker fish that was bigger than them. They sometimes gang up on the sucker fish. But he swats them w ith his tail and they have learned not to push him around. lol.

14. unplated

unplated New Member

Thats why i named my oscar king

Thats exactly the reason i name my oscar king. But you could put other cichlids in with it as long as they are a fair size at least 5 or 6". jaguar cichlids, convicts and green terrors usually get along welll enough not to kill each other... convicts are small fish maxing out at 6" but they will fight anything if the have to and have been known to kill larger tankmates while breeding