1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar questioN oN how to feeding it

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by soldier4jesus209, Jun 25, 2005.

1. soldier4jesus209

soldier4jesus209 New Member

hey guyz what should i feed my new OSCAR need HelP list everything plz thanKz

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Please try to keep all your questions about the same thing in one thread. It makes things a lot more organized and less confusing..

As far as feeding goes, the best thing to feed an oscar is a good quality pelleted food like Hikari, New Life Spectrum, or HBH.

Feeder fish aren't all that great becaue they provide very little nutrition, are notorious for introducing diseases to your tank, and can actually cause a vitamin deficiency which can lead to HITH disease.

Some much healthier treats for oscars would be frozen/freeze dried shrimp, earthworms, crickets, and meal worms.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

what size tank do you have this oscar in ?

4. BubbasNannie

BubbasNannie New Member

What I feed my oscars.

I would not recomend feeding feeder fish. Alot of people think its cool because they eat live fish. But, they don't get what they need and you can't feed them for awhile after they eat the fish. My sister had two oscars that she fed feeder fish that got ick. And eventually the bigger one descaled the smaller one. I feed my oscars, Pellets, blood worms, krill, and occassionally ham. But I don't recommend the ham that often. And I dont' recomend putting it in the tank when I give them ham I hand feed them they take a bite or two and go to the bottom. their favorite is frozen blood worms.

5. unplated

unplated New Member

no feeder fish... ?

honestly i have one oscar in a tank with a venustus cichlid, both are big and both appear very healthy... i've had them both for about 2 years, and all i've ever fed them is feeder fish, table scraps, and the occasional fly or spider... never had a health issue.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Both of those fish can live around 15 years. With the diet you're feeding them, although they may not appear sick right now, I can almost guarantee, they're not going to make it anywhere near that long.

-Chelle

7. oscar_breeder

oscar_breeder New Member

use small goldfish,pellets,insects...basicly anything that wont make them sick

-OSCAR_BREEDER

8. lil shant

lil shant New Member

i have heard that some insects r bad for fish

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd avoid anything that might be poisonous like spiders. Also, if you get insects from around your house there's a good chance they could have pesticides on them. But in general, things like crickets, earth worms, meal worms & such that you get at the LFS should be fine.

Goldfish (or any feeder fish) are a bad idea. Unless you breed them and properly raise them yourself, it is highly likely that they'll introduce diseases. And even if you raise them yourself they are not good as the staple part of the diet. Feeding them too often can actually cause a vitamin deficiency.

-Chelle

10. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

if you wanted to feed them goldfish just because you wanted to every once in awhile say at most every 2 weeks could you just quarntine (spelling?) the goldfish?

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would quarantine them for at least 4 weeks. But really insects are cheaper, easier, and a lot healthier.

-Chelle

12. Alasse

Alasse New Member

I used to feed mine a good colour enhancing pellet food supplimented with skinks, mealworms, garden worms i dug up, bloodworms and live feeder fish.

The feeder fish, (bought approx 100 at a time) were kept in a 4 ft tank and quarrantined for around 3 weeks before feeding

Never had any problem with disease or nasties and the oscars were gorgeous and growing like weeds *L*

[​IMG]