1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

oscar tankmates

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishdude, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

I seem to be having a similar problem. I am looking for a fish/fishes to live with my oscar but everybody seems to have slightly different opinions. :roll:
    I think part of the problem is that Oscars can be such tempermental fish. You will hear from some people that their Oscar gets on with anything, whereas others will tell you that their O has attacked anything that was put in the tank with them.
    Also I think that tank size plays an enormous part in an Oscar's attitude. Kept in a tank with little space seems to increase their terratorial nature. Whereas in large aquariuas O's seem to be more tolerent of their fellow fish. (Which seems to be a helpful rule, but not a golden one!)
    I tend to believe that every O has a unique personnality and behave differently, hence no-one gives the same advice :x

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

One of the most pupular rules of thumb for oscar tank size is 50 (or a 55 since it's more common) for the first oscar and 25 for each additional oscar. However, that only works if the oscars get along REALLY well. And the more oscars you have the less likely they are to get along. So that being said, I think a better rule would be 50 - 75 gallons for one oscar (75 gives them an extra 6" of room to turn around), 75 - 100 for 2 oscars (75 only if they get along really well). And if you're going to have more than 2 oscars, allot at least 50 gallons each. It's also not advisable to keep 3 oscars because chances are 2 will pair off and beat up the 3rd.

And if you're going to mix an oscar with another large cichlid (like a GT, JD, etc) It's best to allot at least 50 gallons each.

fishdude, O-fish really is the best site for oscars that I've come across. And for a 75 gallon, I would only keep the 2 oscars and a bottom feeder like a pleco or pictus catfish. Or maybe one oscar, a bottom feeder, and a large gourami (I've heard of people being able to keep them together, but I don't how common it is).

-Chelle

3. fishdude

fishdude New Member

could you tell me the scientific name of them? arent they pims? but are kissing goramies and headstanders compatable? I agree that O-fish is the best of the best. arent you a adminastrater on ther t_celle16?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The scientific name for giant gouramis is Osphronemus gorami but I just realized that they get 24" so I wouldn't recommend one.

The scientific name for kissing gouramis is Helostoma temmincki.

I have never heard of headstanders before but I finally found some info on them. The scientific name for the marbled headstander is Leporinus fasciatus and it can get 12" long.

If you're going to try it, I would pick either the headstander or the kissing gourami, but not both. And I've never tried keeping either with an oscar so I can't guarantee they'll get along.

And no, I'm not an administrator on O-fish, but I am on the advice team. Which basically means the staff thought I give out good advice so I get a pretty little title. :)

-Chelle

5. fishdude

fishdude New Member

no, i ment the scientific names of the pictus catfish. sorry. are salmon-tail cats freshwater? my friend has a 2 foot tank with a bala shark, 1 salmon-tail catfish, 2 barbs of some sort and an albino cory. he used to have 2 oscars but they died "mystery" deaths. but i told him so. he barly cleans his tank and never turns the light on. so i might be geting the salmon-tail and the bala shark. also if pims arent pictus cat fish, they grow to 12 inches. could i keep one of these with oscars?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never heard of a salmon tailed catfish. It doesn't look like this does it?
    [​IMG]

And the scientific name for pictus catfish is Pimelodella picta

-Chelle

7. jam500

jam500 New Member

well.........

I have a large HAPPY pair in a 55, the same kinds of demensions you were hoping to get, in other words, go for it, just treat them like kings and queens and they won't mind. :)

8. jam500

jam500 New Member

reminder

:) oscar.....pair of oscars

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: well.........

What are your water parameters (exact numbers, not "they're fine")? What filtration do you have? How often and how large are your water changes? How large are the oscars and how old are they?

Although a few people have managed to keep 2 oscars in a 55 gallon tank, it is very rare, takes a lot of work, and the potential for MAJOR (possibly fatal) problems to occur is huge and IMO it is irresponsible to recommend/encourage it.

-Chelle

10. fishdude

fishdude New Member

no they are not 4 foot monsters, i think. well they're not red tails at least. i think they are actualy shark catfishes but everyone calls them salmon-tails. here we call pictus cats pims. could i keep one of them then?who's red tail?could i keep the bala(silver) shark with oscars? also the scientific name for the pim i'd like to get is pimelodella claria, though im not sure.

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Is it a red tailed black shark?

Yes, you should be able to keep a pictus with an oscar. Here's some more info on that particular species:
    http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/pimelo ... /687_f.php

I'm not sure whose red tail that is. I just found it with google's image search.

Yes, balas can be kept with oscars, HOWEVER, not in a 55 gallon tank. Bala sharks get just as big as oscars, are very active, and prefer to be in groups so I wouldn't recommend keeping them in anything smaller than 120 gallons.

-Chelle

12. fishdude

fishdude New Member

no its a red-tailed catfish, a four foot monster! the scientific name is phractocephalus hemioliopterus. is this a joke?

great site! but with the bala shark its in a 2 footer and it would be a bit better in the 4 foot wouldn't it?
    if so this is the list i have now. 1 pictus cat, 1 bala, 2 oscars and 1 black banded headstander. also if i can i would like to get that salmontail/shark cat.

could you recomend any cichlids to keep with oscars?

fishdude

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, red tailed cat really do get over 4' long.
    [​IMG]

The bala would be a little better off in a 75 but it still won't be happy. Your best bet would be to take it to an LFS and let someone who has a bigger tank (& room for more balas) buy it.

As it is, all the fish you listed are going to be WAY too much for a 75 gallon tank. Of the fish you listed, I'd say your choices would be the pictus cat and either 2 oscars or 1 oscar and the headstander. If that salmon tailed cat really is a red tailed cat, then don't get it unless you can provide it with about 1000 gallons. If you get it then you'll sbe stuck with a big fish in a small tank and poor water conditions which will probably kill all your fish. I know you think it would be better off in the 75 than it's current tank, but you can't save all fish and sometimes it's better to not get involved.

-Chelle

14. fishdude

fishdude New Member

I already told you, they look nothing like redtail cats! any way i just found out that 55g are cheaper. a lot cheaper. if i had filteration that turns the water 24 to 30 times an hour could i then keep 2 oscars in the 55g? by the way i made a mistake when i said
    . i ment to say it is not a red tailed catfish. sorry. no i found that salmontails are shark catfish.

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No because nitrAtes would build up very quickly and you'd have to do water changes at least twice a week to keep them at safe levels. Plus, it's very likely they'll get territorial and fight.

-Chelle

16. fishdude

fishdude New Member

okay. could i keep other fish with one oscar in the 55g?

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Maybe a bottom feeder like a pictus catfish or a pleco. But keep in mind that plecos are also messy fish so you'd have to really keep an eye on your nitrAtes and do the appropriate water changes.

-Chelle

18. fishdude

fishdude New Member

okay, so i'll get one oscar and one pic or maby a plec instead. what about a blue claw cray? or synodontis eupterus

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The syno would probably work. Personally, I wouldn't keep lobsters/crayfish or crabs with fish. I'd be too afraid of the crayfish reaching out & tearing up the fish.

-Chelle

20. fishdude

fishdude New Member

final decision. 3 synodontis and one oscar in a 55g tank. 3 filters and a 200w heater