1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

OSO'S NOT FEELING WELL

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by oso, Jun 30, 2004.

1. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

I would call the vet and see if they can give you a couple more cans just until you can get him on something else. Then try to find another canned food at the store that he likes. Try for puppy food or science diet. Good luc. I'm not the best person to give advice but I saw no1 else responded

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would think it's okay to start walking him again. You can ask the vet to be sure. Try to teach him to walk on a loose leash NOW before he gets into a bad habit of pulling.

As for food - he's decided the canned food is tastier than dry. What do YOU want him to eat? Choose a food. There are drawbacks and benefits to both. I don't think I would feed a canned food because it is even worse for the teeth than dry foods are, and dogs drink enough (unlike cats) to stay hydrated. Of course, my preference is raw feeding but not everyone agrees.

So, choose what you want him to eat. Find a GOOD food. Usually you have to find a specialty shop to get a good food. The only food I would consider feeding from Petco is Natural Balance and the only food I would feed from PetsMart is Blue Buffalo. At a specialty shop you can find things like Innova or Canidae, which are higher quality.

Once you choose the food, just put it down for 20 minutes or so for a feeding. If he doesn't eat it, pick it back up again. Don't offer it again until the next meal, and don't fuss over him. He should choose to eat it fairly quickly. If he does not, and since he is a pup and recently ill, consult with your vet. In fact, consult with your vet before you do this. Perhaps a little more time on the canned prescription diet is in order.

I'm glad to hear Oso is feeling better!

Jamiya

3. oso

oso New Member

thanks for the advice, since then OSO is eating well. and has gained his weight back.Im stll feeding dry nutromax, as a matter of fact I was at petsmart today and the lady showed me nutro puppy for large breed, last time I bough food she gave me the nutromax puppy. should I change food again? Would it be a big deal even though its the same brand?

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It shouldn't be a big deal - just mix the two at first and gradually put less of the old food and more of the new food in his bowl. I don't recall what kind of dog Oso is, but if he is a large breed then probably the large breed food is best. Many large breed owners switch to adult food at 4-6 months old.

Jamiya