1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Overweight dog

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bellack1, Jun 28, 2004.

1. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has tips for an over weight dog. She is some kind of terrier mix and is about 10-12 yrs old. She may have arthritis and I don't want her weight to hurt her. When taking her for a walk around the block, she just stops in her tracks and won't go any further until she rests a bit.
    Also she has really really long nails. How do I cut them down- I'm woried about clipping her skin underneath and her bleeding.
    Thanks

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

For the weight issue, just decrease her food intake some and make sure she gets regular exercise.

For the nails, depending on how long they are, you may need to take her to the vet. If they aren't curling under, then you should be able to clip them yourself. They sell dog nail clippers at pet stores. Depending on the color of your dog's nails, you might be able to see the vein. If not, then just cut a tiny bit and see what happens. If they are really long though you may need to make them bleed to be able to get them down to a normal length. There is stuff called Quik Stop powder (it also has other names but I can't think of them at the moment) to put on the nail if it is bleeding to stop the bleeding.

3. karma

karma New Member

If you're not comfortable clipping the nails yourself, you might consider taking her to a groomer. Most will do it while you wait for between $5 - $20. Having it done by a vet's office may be costlier; I just spoke with someone who took their dog to a vet's office for nail clipping only to be charged $20 for the clipping plus a $20 office visit fee.

And kudos to you for trying to get your dog's weight down. I see so many obese dogs and it's tragic. Especially when they get older and arthritis sets in. Obesity is an early death sentence for many pets; yet it's something that can be easily avoided simply by feeding correct amounts.

4. nern

nern New Member

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

My poodle would do the same thing. Though with her she would always stop in the shade. At first I thought maybe she was hot. Then started realizing she may be getting arthritis., Cut you dogs kibble ration in half and give him veggies with it to help him feel full. Also start giving him a glucosamin-chondroitant With MSM included. It is very clucial that you start that. It is very helpful.. I'm goign thru all this right now. Eventually your dog may need duramaxx and or azium. But start with what I mentioned.

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Nern,
    Thanks for that link!! I have always taken Bailey to the groomers every 3-4 weeks, and she's been the lucky one to cut his nails... but since getting him cut shorter last month (hence no groomer visit this month), you can guess at who has been "fighting" on cutting his nails this weekend!!

We've gotten through most of his nails over the last couple of days, but I had to leave the two dark ones cuz i didn't have a CLUE on how to determine where the quick was....needless to say, that site was verrrrrry helpful on that aspect!!! thank you!!

7. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

wow
    Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to look up groomers in my town and get estimates.
    Thanks again!! :lol:

8. nern

nern New Member

Your welcome MonsterBailey. I found that site very helpful in cutting Natalie's nails which are all black. Good luck with Bailey. :wink:

9. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

Wow guys I found this poem and had to share it :eek:

Just My Dog
    "He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
    my other ears that hear above the winds.
    He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.
    He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being;
    by the way he rests against my leg;
    by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;
    by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)
    When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me
    smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it.
    When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful.
    He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
    He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
    His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
    He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him.
    And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog."
    - Gene Hill

10. Maisey

Maisey New Member

Here is a link I found a while back, it's topic is concerning osteoarthritis but the information on weight management applies to all dogs, if you click on the line that reads, Determine Your Dogs Weight Condition
    Body Condition Score (BCS), you can see pictures showing examples of the different weights and whats appropriate. Getting your dog back to a normal weight is really important but you will also need to get her conditioned which should be done slowly and gently. Doing so will extend her life and make her feel like a new dog. You got great info on doing her nails, keep in mind that those long nails can also be making it painful to walk and may be apart of the reason she stops.

11. Maisey

Maisey New Member