1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Passed away...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by abbeys-mom, May 29, 2004.

1. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello All,

I need some advice...
    Yesterday morning my moms baby passed away peacefully at home. Fluffy had been suffering from an enlarged heart for some time. She was on diaretic pills, but due to her kidneys/liver, etc she was dehydrated and it was a no win situation... She did pass away at home, in her favourite chair with my mom right there with her. Although she was 13 and had lived a good life, this of course still devastated my mom. We are planning a small get to gether this weekend.

The advice I need is this, right now my mom feels that getting another pet is not a good idea, as she never wants to go through something liek thsi again, but whenI remind her of all the great times, she starts to reconsider...
    I happened to of ran in to a friends last weekend, and her mom has a 6 month old shih tzu that is looking for a new home. This pup is adorable! I would have taken her home if my hubby would have let me. So of course, I am thinking that my mom might love to have this little pup named Charlie girl, come home with her.

How do I introduce this idea???

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

DOnt give it to her as a gift!
    Explain to your friend the situation. Ask her if you could just let her visit with you and your mom. And see if it works out.

Take her with you, and when your mom asks abou her (don't say HEy mom look at this! that could be bad, instead let her come to you) Tell your mom. Well, She's looking for a new home. Would you happen to know of anyone? DO it subtly.

Maybe after they spend the day around each other, your mom might like to visit her again, and go from there.

DOn't push her into to it. OR offer it. Let her do the work. You, well your just setting up the options.

Teh bet thing for your mother to do is grieve. Its a natural process. DOn't dump another dog on her right away. Just introduce the idea.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you mom doesn't need a pet thrown at her even though your intentions are kind...you have to wait until she's ready to give her heart and home over to another pet. It could take awhile.

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I agree with Sam. Your mom could get upset with you if you try to "replace" her dog so soon, as this is how she may take it.

Let her grive, introduce the dog to her, and see how she feels, if its not the right time, just let her know that when she is ready, you will help her find the right companion again.

5. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I think it is much too soon to even tempt your mom with a new dog. she needs some time to work through her grief. She is really in a state of shock and depression right now and there is a great big empty hole in her heart right now that cannot be filled by another dog. I think it is a great idea to have some friends over to help her mourn her loss.
    I do believe that she will, in a few weeks, be ready to accept another dog into her life but don't force her into that situation just a few days after her loss.
    I am sure we have all gone through this loss and we realizewhat a huge part of each and every day was devoted to caring for for that special friend and companion.
    I am sure other opinions will follow and I cannot even pretend to know your mom but do try to realize what a huge period of grief she is now going through.
    My prayers are with all of you.

6. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Thanks all,
    I do agree that it is tooooo soon.
    I think the idea of an introduction, not for the plan of my mom keeping the dog, but just to see how it goes is a great idea.
    I will set up a dog sitting of the new pup in a few weeks, and bring her to my moms for a visit, and take it from there.

The reason I am pushing for this new pup, is becaue the owner told me that the dog has never been out side, only to the vet for shots, and that the lady just doesn't have any time for her. I felt really bad for the pup, cause she is so adorable, and she deserves so much more. So I know that in time, my mom if she wants to, could be the BEST for this little pup. And if not I will work on my hubby and maybe I can take her, cause Abbey does need a play mate, :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your advice.
    I will let you all know how the visit goes in the next few weeks.

7. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Hopping for the best for you and your mom. The pup wouldnt take her dogs spot but, would make her a good company

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

First of all my condoliences (sp?) to your mom. And second I hope you are able to help this little pup. Maybe your hubby would give with a few visits from the little guy.

9. Hi AbbeysMom, I'm so sorry to hear about your Moms dog :( I agree with the rest of them, it's probably too soon. As you know! greiving has many stages. Your Mom might think having a new pup is a good idea then realize that she can't really take the place of her dog. The only reason I say this is: I did that, and I wasn't ready. In time she might change her mind, but until then, I wouldn't push the idea.

I do hope you are able to take in the pup yourself. I have a Shi tzu and he's wonderful!

Again so sorry your Mom is having such a tough time right now.
    It's wonderful that you and others will be there for her.

Sincerley, Susan

10. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello All,

thanks for all your kind words.
    My mom is feeling better now....

I spoke to the women who was wanting to find a new home for her pup, and she has decided to keep her. She has quit her part time job, allowing her to have more time with her pup.
    I think that everything happens for a reason! 8)

I have contacted a local rescue, and when they have any small dogs in, they will contact me, and I will tell my mom about it, and take it from there.

Thanks Again,

11. lil96

lil96 New Member

You shouldn'T start bringing dogs to your mother when she wants one she will get one.

12. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

LIL96,
    I would not force a dog on anyone. I know that my mother wants to get another dog in time...
    I would not push anything on her, I can simply introduce the idea.

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

when she wants anothe she will get it, no need to simply introduce the idea. Who can say no to a cute dog? no one can, but later she reaally might not want this dog but feel obligated to take it, oh no the puppy will be put to sleep oh this poor thing has to sleep in a cage with all those big scrary dogs around it. I never said you were forcing it on her, I just don'T think it is a good idea. if you want to rescue the other dogs you do it.

14. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hey Everyone!!!

Update, my mom got a new puppy!
    I can't believe it, and I hope it was not an impulse move, but she was up north and saw a beautiful puppy that was for sale, and she bought him. Apparently he is adorable, I am going to see him this afternoon.

I will post pics when I can....

Abbey has a new play mate!!!

15. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Thats great! As long as she's happy!

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

That's how it so often happens - not in the market for another dog when a puppy suddenly steals your heart out of nowhere. Some people think their previous dog has come back in a new body, or that it was "meant to be."

So glad to hear your Mom is feeling better!

Jamiya

17. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

and she did it in a good manner of time when she was ready. What kind of pup is it.

18. Jody

Jody New Member

Thats excellent news! Have you got pics for us yet? :eek:

19. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hi All,

His name is K.C. (Karl Coulson) he is 8 weeks old, and he is a Maltese. He is so sweet.
    I will post pics tonight.

20. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Can't wait to see the little guy. :eek: