1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

pepe, pepe, pepe. argh!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Sep 26, 2005.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

on thursday my partner came home from work and pepe ran up to him squawking his head off. he was limping too. we tried to have a look at his leg but he wouldnt let us. we suspect he might of fallen off the roof or a very slim chance the neighbours might have hurt him somehow. so off to the vet we go. we thought he probably just sprained himself. the vet had a look at him and thought it would probably be a dislocation at first. the kept him overnight and did x rays. well, turned out that he had actually broken his leg! he had snapped the ball off of his thighbone. they told us the operation would cost $1200. basically they remove the ball that has fractured and just leave it. the muscle ends up taking over and you cant even tell if part of their bone is missing unless they end up with a small limp. they said there was a very high chance he would have the same quality of life before and that he would be able to be let outside again. so we agreed to go ahead with the operation. pepe is home now and is walking about, although confined to a room. he is a bit upset that pheobe is rejecting him after his vet visit but she will get over it. i cant believe i have spent that much money on a cat i dont like :lol: i couldnt bear to put him down for no good reason though. but yes, that was my/pepe's weekend! he better not do anything silly again. he needs to realise hes not as agile and graceful as he thinks he is, hes just a big goof.

2. vene

vene New Member

Oh Kyles, *HUGS*. Poor Pepe. I hope he learns his lesson and becomes more mellow in the process. It's hard for me to believe that cats can do fine without their hip joint. Don't they do hip replacements for kitties? Will you reintroduce Pepe to Phoebe again or just let them be?

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Awww. Poor Pepe! I'm glad he's back at home and doing okay now. Must have been very stressful! Pheobe must be enjoying having the whole place to herself though!

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sorry to hear about Pepe. What you describing is called an FHO, its quicker and easier (I believe on the cat also...less recovery time) to do this rather than a total hip replacement, they do it on small dogs also. Its a lot less expensive, the last total hip I assisted on a few years back cost over $3,000.

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Poor kitty. I'm glad everything seem to turn our okay, though.

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

it's stuff like this to why I no longer let my cats outside - what if it were a person that caused the injury. You are willing to possibly subject him to that again!!! Especially after spending that kind of money on him.
    My sister had a cat get hit by a car. She spent better than 2k on him over the course of a year (his hip kept popping back out of place). She let him back out and within weeks she found him dead on the side of the road.
    What's the point.....
    don't mean to be arguement but I just got home from the shelter and got to visit with a cat who was hit by a car and had to also have hip surgery - his owners didn't want him since he was going to cost $$ to fix up. Makes me slightly angry.
    I know you made sure your cat got the right medical treatment he needed...but I don't understand how you could let him back outside after such a severe injury.

7. nern

nern New Member

I'm glad that Pepe is okay. Hope he is feeling better soon. :wink:

8. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

mary, we are unable to keep pepe inside 24/7. im sure you have been reading about his behaviour problems all this time. id prefer to have him put down that keep him locked up. i found your post to be really rude and insensitive. if you have some magical plan on how to calm a dominant aggressive cat whos only 'outlet' is the outdoors [not just a small segment of the backyard either], by all means say them. otherwise...

9. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I'm glad Pepe is okay. I'm sure it was a scary experience for all of you. I hope he has a quick recovery and is back to normal soon.

It is crazy how much we spend on our pets. Then again, they are family members. I think it's worth it. I'm sure Pepe thanks you!

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Kyles, I'm glad Pepe "poohead" is okay. You have been through so much with him! Do you have really bad Karma or something? Just kidding. :wink: I hope he continues to get better. You know how much I have always liked him, even if it's from a distance.