1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pet sitter or Kennel?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by dbuzzw, May 6, 2004.

1. dbuzzw

dbuzzw New Member

Hi everyone. I'd like to get your opinion on pet-sitters vs. kennels.

My husband and I are going out of town this weekend and, as usual, I'm freaking out about leaving my babies (we have to). Even though they're over a year old, they're not TOTALLY house-trained (especially the little one and her pooping), so we keep them in the kitchen during the day with pooch pads. It is a rather large kitchen/breakfast area and they do fine there - never trying to escape, as long as they're together. At night, they sleep in our bedroom in their crates, which they like. When we leave town and can't find anyone to stay at our home, we put the crates in the kitchen (with the doors removed) and have a petsitter come by several times each day to let them out, feed them, play with them a little and change out any pads that might've been used. I've always thought this was a better option than sending them to a kennel where they'd be in a cage all day & night. However, now I'm starting to wonder....

Is it more stressful for them to be in the home environment, but without us? i.e. different people coming in? They like the petsitter, but don't see her often. And they are very protective of their "territory".

For this weekend, we are leaving in the morning and the petsitter is coming by tomorrow afternoon and evening, then again on Saturday morning and afternoon. Then, my sister is coming over with my niece and her chihuahua on Saturday night - staying until Sunday afternoon when we return. I'm a little concerned about B & G's interaction with Chico in their own home - they've met him before but it was many months ago when they were younger. This is different, it's their house.

Gosh, I hate leaving them! My step-son is graduating college this weekend. In 3 weeks, we're doing this again to attend my stepdaughter's high school graduation. I hate that such wonderful occasions are being tempered by my anxiety about leaving my dogs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane in Houston

P.S. Even though they do fine in the kitchen for short periods, they tend to get into stuff when we've been gone all weekend and they had to "live" in there. Also, Graysie is able (barely) to squeeze under the baby gate to get into the front of the house. She has only done this if she was without Baxter and alone in the kitchen.

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I think it best they have the sitter .being in their own place will help .
    Also ,your sister knows and is aware they could not get along ,just remind her to supervise and all will be fine .I think they will get by okay .They have their routine and someone they know will be coming in and out . :)

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I ditto what Malti said! :y_the_best:

4. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I prefer leaving my dogs at home and having someone come let them out, play with them ect. I am a very overprotective of my babies and even though I was not with them they were still in their own home.

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

We have some older folks (still coherant) that love to sit with the animals! I would check around and see if there is anyone in you area that does that. We take the animals over there the weeek before and let them visit for a few hours each day before just leaving.

They do a great job, and have company as well. Most of them have a home health that really takes care of the animals, or checks to make sure everything is done properly.

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I definitely agree with others! Leaving them at home seems to be much less stressful. :) I understand you're worrying, I'd be the same way.... :) they'll be fine, I'm sure