1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

piranias

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by needlefish, Mar 31, 2004.

1. needlefish

needlefish New Member

how big of a tank would a 1 inch pirania need? the tank i want to put it in is a 10 gallon. it would not live there forever but until it gets bigger.

Thanks for your help!

2. kiwi_kat

kiwi_kat New Member

ive heard that you need 20 gal per adult piranah

an inch long piranah should be fine for a while
    think about getting him some buddys to school with (unless he's a black piranah )

i have 6 cariba piranah - 5 inch long - they seem happier in a group

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You really have to be careful with pirhana, as they are very nervous fish. I think that one in a ten gallon would just go crazy. It wouldn't be enjoyable for you to see the little guy smashing into the aquarium walls everytime somebody got near.
    Pirhanas are better off in schools and in big tanks. They also like long flowing plants to swim through. If you are sure that a larger tank is on the way, then why not wait and do it right?
    :idea: good luck!

4. needlefish

needlefish New Member

i think im going to get 1-2 red bellied pirhana and get it as a baby, then in 2 months move them into a 29 gallon. does this sound like a good idea?

5. Spyder

Spyder New Member

i was wondering if 5 1-2 inch piranhas will go in a 55 gal for about 6 months till i can get them into a 125 or a 150 gallon?

6. kevinRB

kevinRB New Member

yeah when i first got my piranha they were in a 1gal tank then when they got a little bigger and their in a 30 gal but one killed the other so i only have one,you also migt want to get some fake decor plants so the piranha can hide......i find that the piranha gets nervous when i look at it

7. Spyder

Spyder New Member

thanks for the info

8. needlefish

needlefish New Member

i think im going to get 2 red bellies. put them into my 10 gallon, hten in 2-3 months move thme into a 29 gallon.

9. confused

confused New Member

2 will kill each other. if you cant get at least 45 gallons 4 3. only get 1

10. jar0524

jar0524 New Member

i think all that one rbp to 20 gallons is over rated, me and my friend both had a 29 gallon tank with 5 rbp's in it, i upgraded to a 75 gallon tank, but thanks to my transit trip from home to college, i only have three left....but i would suggest a nice 29 gallon tank, which you can get from walmart for about a benjamin, and then upgrade to a larger tank.........but one thing i would also suggest is making a cave of rocks in your aquarium, my pirana's love it, prolly cause they hate the light, but anyways good luck homie, peace out

11. scarface8678

scarface8678 New Member

looking for a pirhana...

I'm looking to get a pirhana but the stores in my area(upstate ny), dont seem to sell them....anybody know where i can buy one...i am looking for a red belly in particular...if anybody can help, i would reallly appreciate it...