1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help!!! Cat sick. Won't eat.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by mazyku, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mazyku

mazyku New Member

PICTURE OF MISSY!

:eek: This is one of my many pics of Missy and her one sister Charlotte in the back ground. Thanks for the help in posting it. Now you know why we love her so much.
    [​IMG] This is a picture of her other sister Schmidt.
    [​IMG]

2. Joan

Joan New Member

Aw Mazyku your Missy is just precious. I am new and have been following your story that has brought tears to my eyes. I just lost my cat of 13 years to cancer. I know the pains you are feeling. I pray that your Missy heals and returns quickly to the strong, healthy kitty she was before her sickness.
    Joan

3. mazyku

mazyku New Member

Thanks, Joan.
    It hurts because she is so young. We find out today if it is cancer or not. Will keep you posted. [-o<

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Mazyku, she is beautiful! They all are. :eek: Yes, please let us know what you find out.

5. nern

nern New Member

All of your cats are beautiful. :D

6. mazyku

mazyku New Member

MISSY UPDATE - Not good news.

:cry: Heard from the new vet tonight, unfortunately, he did not have good news for us. The biopsy came back with a few cancerous cells. He said something about it being liposarcoma. Apparently, it is rarely found in that area of the chest. We can give her prednisone shots to help shrink the tumor so that she would be able to eat and go through surgery to remove it. I am going to reseach it more. If any one knows of this type of cancer or knows of if this treatment works please let me know. My husband and I are having a very difficult time accepting the end result. If you can at least share with us a way of accepting what we might have to do. I am not ready to let her go. Please help!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

7. nern

nern New Member

I'm so sorry Mazyku. :cry: I don't know anything about it but hopefully another poster will have some info. for you.

8. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I am really sorry about this news. If it was my cat I would go ahead and have the vet remove the liposarcoma. However, I would only want a vet that has experience in removal of these sarcomas. If you find a good vet that can remove it in it's entirety (meaning none left behind) the prognosis is very good for your kitty (meaning long term remission or cure). Sometimes radiation therapy may also be needed (especially if not all of it was removed). The success of the surgery has a lot to do with the size, location and grade of the liposarcoma. These are things that you will have to discuss with your vet. Ask him or her if they think that they will be able to remove all of it based on it's size/grade and location and so on. If the vet thinks there is a good chance for success I would go for it. I wish your kitty all the best.

9. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

mazyku my heart is bleeding for you right now :cry:. I will be thinking about you. [-o< I hope you can find someone who can take care of Missy. This is so sad.

I HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN GIVE YOU SOME GOOD ADVICE!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP HER AND MISSY!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED. I WILL AWAIT THE GOOD NEWS THAT EVERYTHING IF FINE AND MISSY IS DOING GREAT!! (GOD BLESS!)

10. mazyku

mazyku New Member

SAD NEWS.

I just wanted everyone to know that we had to put our Missy to sleep early this morning. She took a very quick turn for the worst and could hardly even walk. My husband held her during the process and I kept telling her how much we loved her. Thank you all for your concerns. We are hurting very much and ask for your prayers. This is an excellent forum and you all have helped me with your suggestions. Thanks again.

11. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! My thoughts are with you during this horrible time. Just live with the knowledge that you did all you could and she is out of pain now. Take care of yourself.

12. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Oh no! That is so sad. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

13. Joan

Joan New Member

mazyku...I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care.
    Joan

14. mysammycat

mysammycat New Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. My cat, Sammy had the same problem back in November of last year. He'd stopped eating completely and had no energy at all. We took him to a vet and did some xrays and found a huge mass, the size of an orange blocking his intestines. This first vet basically wrote Sammy off and told us that there was no other choice. We didn't want to give up on Sammy and took him to a second vet, highly recommended by a family friend and more test were done and She told us that there was indeed a huge mass and that we had a few options. She told us that we could have an operation and have the mass removed and hopefully it's not cancerous and that she could remove all of the mass. Well to make this story short, Sammy had his surgery on Nov. 25th 2003 and the vet did remove most of the mass and part of the pancreas which the biopsy detemined that it was cancerous. The only problem the vet had was that she couldn't remove all of the mass as some of it was wrapped closely to some major blood vessels and she thought it would be too risky to try to remove it. She told us that we can only hope for the best and she couldn't tell us how long Sammy will survive and that if the cancer will come back. First she told us Sammy might have a couple of weeks.. maybe couple of months. I'm happy to say it's now near the end of April and Sammy is near 5 months post-op and is doing great. He is eating and pooping well and is back to is playful self. I'm so glad that we did what we did for Sammy as he is family to us (Sammy is 14), we had him since he was a few weeks old and we were not about to give up on him. Sure it cost us some money but in the long run it was well worth it. Any additional time we have with Sammy is well worth it. We had a very happy Christmas with Sammy with lots of gifts but the best gift of all was Sammy being heathy.

I do worry about him a lot, everytime if I notice a change in behaviour or eating patterns I think of the worst. I guess in the back of my mind I know it will come back it's just a matter of time.

I just noticed a couple of days ago that he had some sort of bump in his lower abdomen, I never noticed it before but it's now very noticeable. It's seems very hard and about an inch in length. Does anyone know what it is? My brother said his cat has that too but was not completely sure if it's the same thing.

15. mysammycat

mysammycat New Member

Here's a picture of Sammy when he was a baby

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of Sammy this past Christmas, a month after his operation to remove a cancerous mass blocking his intestines.

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of Sammy a couple of weeks ago

[​IMG]

16. mazyku

mazyku New Member

:eek: Sammy is beautiful and I am so happy for Sammy to be with you. I wish we had had more time with Missy. She was truly a great companion and how I wish she was back home with us. It is so hard to walk in the house from work and not have her to greet me. I keep looking for her to jump up on the computer monitor just to keep me company while I am doing my work. At time I swear she was human. She listened better than my kids did at times. :wink: I know she is in a better place and that her suffering has stopped. I thought of all the little children out there who are suffering from cancer and their parents have to endure the pain of watching them go through it. We are fortunate to be able to say enough is enough for our feline companions. Time will help our pain but it will never go away. Cherish every moment you have with Sammy. I gave Missy so many kisses all the time and not only when she was sick. I have no regrets of should have, would have's. My husband and children are animal wacko's and we are proud of it. Give Sammy a big hug from me and keep a watchful eye on him. Take care and good luck.

17. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

mazyku:
    :( :cry: I AM SOOOOO SORRY. I KNOW THIS HAD TO BE A HARD THING TO DO. SHE IS ALL BETTER NOW. YOU SHOULD FELL BETTER KNOWING SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO SUFFER.

God bless you all as you remember Missy when she was heathy.

Good luck.

mysammycat: good luck with sammy (i had a sammy before I miss him so). please let us know how he is doing.

18. mazyku

mazyku New Member

FINAL POSTING ON MISSY.

Just wanted to let you know that my husband and I picked up Missy's ashes today. I now have my Missy back home with me and we can find a much loving place for her to rest. Thank you all for your help and comfort it is and was greatly appreciated. :cry: :cry: :cry:

DADDY AND I LOVE YOU AND WILL MISS YOU VERY MUCH, MISSY.
    BE AT PEACE.

[​IMG]

19. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Mazyku, I am sorry you're so sad right now. I understand how you're feeling. A lot of us here do. Thank you for posting her pic. She was a beautiful girl who was very loved and well cared for. Hang in there. :(

20. Joan

Joan New Member

mazyku-thanks for your update. As I said earlier, your Missy is just precious. She was very lucky to have you as a catmom I can tell. Keep her happy memories in your heart and she will be with you forever. I just lost my angelboy cat in February and I really understand your feelings. Take care.

Joan =^..^=