1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

PLEASE HELP!! Dog is scared

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by nanc76, Sep 28, 2005.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you all. :)

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

When you do try to call her to you, try facing AWAY from her, so your feet are pointing the the direction you want her to go. You can call her over your shoulder. Running away from her sometimes helps as well because she may think chasing you is a good game.

Or if attention to Jaz makes Abby somewhat jealous, ignore Abby and walk outside and call Jaz over and play with her. When Abby comes to see what is going on, gently grab her collar (from underneath her chin - don't reach over her head) and tell her what a good girl she is and give her very yummy treats.

I'm glad you found something to block the fence with!

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I deal with shy and timid dogs and truely wild (feral) dogs all the time.
    Jamiya gives soem awsome advise. I'd just like to add a bit to it. I'm sure she thought of it, jsut forgot to meantion it.

Bowing down and cowering to a shy or timid dog shows that there is something to fear out there , but also makes the dog think that your cowering to him/her, and hince dominace. The dog may often times feel superior to you, and not want to listen to you.

Another thing to try is, and you meantioned that you don't like kenneling her in her run, but it may be a have to do... Precious was timid around me when I brought her home from Sara's. She stayed kenneled outside and in her Crate inside. When she was let out, it was ALWAYS on leash. She quickly learned that when I approached her, I had a good tasting treat (and it was hard to find a treat that she liked, I found that nasty bologna and hot dogs are the onely thing she likes) and I would put her lead on and we'd go out to play.
    If she decided she wasn't coming to me. I'd leave. Stay out of he sight for a moment, then try again.

She quickly associated me with goodies, and fun time outside of confinement.
    Now she's still a bit on the shy side, and doesn't just come bounding up to people, but she will approach me and do as I say.

After I gained her trust, we worked on training.