1. Grow your baby fish like a PRO

    Microworms, great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. They are easy to culture and will considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Microworms! [ Click here to order ]

Please help me, help my puppy! Parvo diagnosis

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by pleasehelpmypup, May 18, 2004.

  1. ilovemaltipoos

    ilovemaltipoos New Member

    Bleach won't kill it in the yard .The reason is because parvo gets deep into the ground .many have tried and been unsuccessful with that .It is always worth a try ,but I would say no it won't .Lots of sunshine and don't let other dogs in your yard .If you live in a wet area ,it can actually stay longer than 6 months .If you go through your yard ,have a solution of clorox and water to dip your shoes in before you go to a vet office,groomer .For about 6 months it would be best to just stay away from any place otehr animals could be .your dog will not get it again ,but others will be highly suseptable to it .Clean your areas with bleach and all bedding ,funiture and even wash your pwn clothes and shoes and hans in a bleach solution .
    Hope all turns out well for youerrs .More than apt you caught it in time .
     
  2. pleasehelpmypup

    pleasehelpmypup New Member

    I just heard the same thing about bleach not killing it in the yard. I will just have to clean everything in sight and out of sight. I do not want another dog to go through this.
     
  3. Lil Loomis

    Lil Loomis New Member

    I just got a little lab pup on Wed May 12. Thursday night he was not acting at all like an 8 week old pup. He was eating a little and drinking a little but not a lot. By Sunday he was not eating or drinking anything. Took him to the vet and he too had Parvo. I just got the little Fella home yesterday. I to have read that a 1/4 cup Bleach to 1 gallon water should kill the virus but this is no garuntee. My wife and I bleached everything in the house and out side.

    I know that it is imparitive to keep him hydrated but is there any trick to get him to drink. The vet kept me posted on everything (down to the time and amount of any uritation and defecation, was very impressed with the detail of this place) and said that he was drinking well and that once he started to eat and hold food down he could come home. He is eating well but I don't think he is drinking well. Is this because of the 4 days of IV's that the vet gave him or should he be drinking more?

    Thanks
     
  4. Samsintentions

    Samsintentions New Member

    SInce my kennels don't have grass in them anyways, I use a solution of 1/3 bleach to 2/3 water. I use a whole gallon of bleach and two gallons of watter in a pump up sprayer. Seems to work reallly well for me. On my Grass however I use 1/4 bleach to 3/4 water. ( 1gal of bleach to 3 gal of water. It doesn't kll the grass at all and I believe it does good. My grass is always mowed short so you don't have to worry about it fully reaching the dirt, because it does. Longer grass could hender the effect however. So mow your lawn before bleaching it.

    As far as sidewalks and stepping stones, ect.... I use straight bleach. One its concrete, so whats it going tohurt, and two thats where the animals love to lay at the most. I guess its cool to them..... I do the same with their dog houses and food and water bowls and ALL the toys, I use straight bleach and rinse heavily as well. Don't forget your tree trunks, and the sides of your houses up to about 3 ft.


    Back to the lawn thing, I believe keeping a good source of fertilizer on it at all times as well helps keep the virus down. How? I'm not really sure, but my vet told me that one time. SOmething about the chemicals in the fertilizer kill it......
     
  5. Jamiya

    Jamiya New Member

    Is the fertilizer safe for the dogs, Sams? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time before letting them out on it?

    Also, can you (or someone) assist Lil Loomis in hydrating his/her puppy? (How much should he be drinking and how to get it in him...) I don't know enough about that.


    Jamiya
     
  6. pleasehelpmypup

    pleasehelpmypup New Member

    Lil Loomis- Since we kept our puppy home and did the I.V. etc., ourselves, we had to get him to drink and eat. I took a medicine syringe (no needle) and filled it up with Pedialyte and gave that to him about every 2 hours and same with chicken broth. I also acted like a lunitic going crazy over him when I got him to sniff at his water bowl, and either he was worried for my mental health or just wanted to shut me up, but he finally took a sip or two and that got him going. Do not give up though. Our vet kept telling us how he had never really seen puppies who were cared for at home make it. Persistence and alot of love and enthusiasm goes a long way with these little guys. They are so scared and worn out that they really need even more attention then usual. I also made the Parvo tea recipe for Sarge. Let me know if you need anything at all. I will say a prayer for you guys!
     
  7. Lil Loomis

    Lil Loomis New Member

    Thanks,

    Maybe it is me being overly paranoid. All his water was gone when we checked in on him earlier today and he drank more when it was replenished. Hopefully it was me and not him.

    You mentioned earlier that you noticed your little one perk up. This is very encouraging. Even my Vet said that this is a very good sign that they are turning the corner. They told me this is a sign that they are regaining their strenght and is a very good sign. Good luck I am sure he/she will pull through.
     
  8. Samsintentions

    Samsintentions New Member

    I wouldn't allow my dogs on the lawn for a full 2 weeks after fertilizing. (they usually don't go to that part of the yard anyhow, I don't want them messing with my bushes or plants!!!)

    As far as hydrating, a good rule of thumb.....(I have a million of these!!!)

    Animals (including humans) should drink at the least 30% of their body weight in water.

    Thats why they say 8 Full *oz of water for the average human being!
    its approximately 30% of body wieght....

    Any how. Use a needless syrenge. Fill it with the water or pedialyte and inserinto the back of the mouth. Slowly squeeze. Make sure your holding his head at a 45degree angle (so its not running out, but not choking him either) Only allow a few drops at a time, Rub his through to encourgae swallowing. You DO NOT WANT WATTER TO ENTER THE LUNGS!!!

    He probably doesn't feel thirsty because of the IV's. Its ok as long as hes' on the IV not to drink as much as he should....he's staing hydrated. As for eating... I don't know the size of your puppy....the back of your dog food bag should tell you the serving sizes. SOme eat more, some eat less. It all depends on the dog. But if he's loosing alot of weight, then you need to intervene with some boiled chicken...rice ect....
     
  9. Lil Loomis

    Lil Loomis New Member

    Thanks,

    I thought that with him just coming off the IV that is was pretty natural that he might not drink that much. It was very encouraging to hear that he drank well when my wife went to let him out today.

    As far as the food we are feeding him two table spoons of low residue food 6 times a day. This is what our vet recommended. It is nice to see him go for the food rather than turning his nose up at it.
     
  10. pleasehelpmypup

    pleasehelpmypup New Member

    I know exactly what you mean! We also have Sarge on the low residue dog formula our vet put him on. He isn't very enthusiastic about it. Not like the bug he ate the other night1 (Bleech! :0024: )
     

Share This Page