1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help !! Night Tremors

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by suncitysue, Apr 24, 2004.

1. suncitysue

suncitysue New Member

:cry: Hi, our 8 yr. old Doberman has been having some problems this past week including vomitting and not wanting to eat his dog food (Science Diet Sensitive Stomach). He wouldn't eat for 2 days and was starting to wane. I didn't have any hamburger meat to boil for him (which I had been told was the thing to do when a dog has an upset stomach). Anyway, so I gave him a can of vegetable beef soup. He kept it down except for the potatoes in it.

The next night, I had bought some hamburger meat on my way home from work and boiled it for him. In the middle of the night he vomitted that up, so the next morning, I opened another can of vegetable beef soup for him and pureed it in a blender. He kept it down. :D

I'm so tired, I'm sorry if this isn't flowing well, I haven't slept in 2 nights.

Anyway, so tonight, as I was laying with him on the couch, he started getting these violent tremors! I sat next to him, covered him with blankets and pet him to no avail. These tremors are not constant, they have only happened at night in the past, when he's laying down and they are not all the time. I have been searching the web for any information about night tremors in dogs but can't find anything.

It's 4 a.m. and I can't find a vet. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm gonna go back on the couch with him.
    Sue

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Sounds like your doggie is very sick. I would take him to a Vet as soon as possible. If you don't have Emergency Animal Care in your area and you have to wait till Monday, keep giving him beef/chicken broth and most inportant fluids if possible. That's the bad part, dehydration. The tremors at night might be from fever. Good Luck!!

3. I agree with the above post, lotts of liquids! and as soon as possible see a vet. It sounds like your dog is very sick :( I wish you the best! and please keep us posted.

Susan

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Sue: Has your dog improved any?!? Was thinking about him this morning.

5. suncitysue

suncitysue New Member

Hi, thank you so much for your prompt replies. Buster is hanging in there. He has not vomitted anymore and seems to be doing better with the pureed soup and drinking water. At least the vomitting has stopped and we both took a long nap yesterday - no tremors.

My husband was doing a tremendous amount of research and we decided to give Buster an enema to try and clean out any toxins which may be causing his problem. After the enema, Buster defecated a small amount and I examined it and found remnants of a paper towel.

Our problem is that several years ago, Buster had major surgery where they literally slit him down the middle and layed his intestines on the table and they "squeezed" the blockage out of him. The blockage was sand.

We live in the desert and our evening practise was to play 'catch the ball' with Buster. Well, when the ball would land in the sand, Buster would retrieve it and get saliva on it. Constant repetition of this lead to him inadvertently ingesting the sand which his system could not pass.

So, at this point, we are very lucky that he survived that surgery which had a high mortality rate. But, our fear is that if he has another blockage, he would not be able to survive such an invasive procedure; that is why we are trying holistic, alternatives.

I will keep you posted, hoping that this is something that will "pass" and not something more serious like cancer.

Gratefully,
    Sue

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I noticed that you're SunCitySue. Are you from Sun City, AZ. by any chance? If so, I know of several good vet clinics. Your dog may have a blockage or obstruction. Hopefully your home remedy took care of the problem. I don't think he has cancer, more than likely a blockage. Dogs that chew are always at risk. I was a vet tech, and some dogs came in who chewed everything from kitchen towels to panty hose. It got lodged in the G.I. tract and had to be removed. Sometimes a bowel strangulation will cause severe infection. Survival is 50-50. If your dog passed something in his stool, that's very good. Keep giving him the chicken/beef broth and water. After he keeps this down, soup, tofu, yogurt, cottage cheese. Go to your Vet for ant-biotics for the infection. Then make sure there's nothing within his reach to chew on in the future. Hope everything works out for you and your dog!