1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Prncess, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Prncess

Prncess New Member

I just got a new puppy, she was all healthy and everything for the first week. My fault as a new owner, I didn't know a puppy shouldn't go anywhere with other dogs. In any case, i took her to this dog park where there were tons of dogs, to make it short, she is continuosly coughing and i think it is KC, but the doc just said upper respiratory problems, then he gave her some antibiotics which didn't work, then i took her to another doctor and she got some stronger ones, now it's the third week and she's still the same. what should i do??? I'm sooo worried but i don't have all the money in the world to keep taking her to the vet. I thought that if i took her before she got worse then it would go away and thus preventative, but now it's still the same.... =(((((*****

Please help, any advice, any home remedies? these docs aren't helping =( and now she just pooped yellow stuff and then mucus in her poop =(
    She's gone through two doctors and two types of antibiotics and none of the docs said it was KC, but every forum i read, i believe it is! =( why can't they just treat her?? =( please help anyone??? I just want her to get better =(

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Is it a dry cough or does it sound like there's any mucus? Have they done any blood work or x-rays on her yet?

If it is kennel cough and they haven't treated her for KC yet it might have developed into pneumonia (sp?).

I would definately take her back and have them run some tests.

Hope your puppy gets better!

3. Prncess

Prncess New Member

It's a dry hacking cough, and then sneezing. She does this when she first wakes up and then when she's running after a toy (when i play with her) she stops and starts coughing away.

The mucus just started today, she started pooping mucus and yellow stuff. =(

There are just so many things wrong with her i'm so worried.
    They haven't done any blood test or xrays, they just look at her, they (both doctors) say she doesn't need the xrays or the blood test...not severe enough...=( i don't get it, shouldn't they want to prevent it from getting worse =(.
    i asked both docs to run tests, but they won't, do i just have bad docs?

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't get it either. Usually my vet will do blood work just to make me stop worrying. I mean you are paying them to look after you pet.

I would try atleast one more vet. Get the names of the antibiotics you were presribed, take her to another vet and explain whats' happening and that the antibiotics aren't working. Also take a stool sample to rule out parasites.

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

To ME, and I am not an expert, it does sound like KC! A dry hacking cough as you mentioned your dog exhibiting, is the number one symptom of KC.

Kennel cough must be treated as to prevent it from worsening, for if not treated, it usually becomes quite severe. Therefore, such a problem should not be taken lightly (I know your not taking it lightly, I am speaking of your vets). I would find another vet if you can, take your pup in, explain your pup's symptoms and what meds have been prescribed thus far, and INSIST that tests be run if the vet chooses not to take action!!!

I am not saying it can't be anything else, for it most definitely could be, I am just making an assumption on what it might be!

Also, antibiotics usually take a couple of days to really kick in and make a difference, so that also may be something to consider!

Hope you little one gets better! :D

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

She is not living with another dog is she. It is very cantagious and could possibly be swapped. It does sound like KC. My poodle had it when I first got her, thus she gave it to my other dog. She caught it about a year ago too. It was the worst at night she would wake up hacking every few hours. It can get to the point where they are hacking up foamy white stuff. It could be that your pup is just pooping out the mucus that is swallowed. I have heard of people giving human cough syrup, but I can't say which as I don't remember. Do a search on home rememdies for KC. I would also go to another vet asap. Some dogs just react the same to certain drugs. She may need something else. I remember when I first got her sasha had to take two separate types of anti-biotics, one for KC and one for an ear infection. Be persistant. But go to another vets office.

7. moose

moose New Member

i would definitely see another vet about this. you can give your dog some tylenol cough to help ease the coughing in the meantime -- it doesn't actually have any sort of pain reliever or anything that would be toxic to the dog; it's just a cough syrup, but one we have found to work very well around the shelter.

also, as far as the mucus in the poop -- she could just be having a reaction to the meds your vet prescribed for her. changes in their bowel movements are very common whenever you start on meds. do you know what antibiotic he gave you?

anyway, get her to another vet to discuss your concerns. the vet that prescribed the 2nd dose of meds should at least be informed that they don't appear to be working. good luck

8. Prncess

Prncess New Member

Thank you for all your help, care and concern! I called the second vet again and he told me to finish the antibiotics and then told me to tell him what happens after i finish the dosage. So he told me something about that the antibiotics will only help bacteria infection not viral infection, so i am supposing that she has a viral because she is still coughing today. I am so worried still. He says if it's a viral infection it will go away in time, but i thought kennel cough could be deadly? Doesn't that mean that if she still coughing then it is really bad?

I wish I can post a picture of her for everyone to see she is just adorable. She's a pomeranian, that's 3 months old now, still haven't had her shots yet. =( Is it okay that she still hasn't gotten her shots yet?

She started not eating today, am i too worried? She still active.....though?
    Thank you for everyone's help!

Sincerely,

worried new mother =(

9. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

best thing is to get her to another vet first .While you are waiting though ,call your vet and ask about robutussin to give her .has to be childrens dose and according to her weight .
    Sounds like KC to me and turning into something worse .You need a very strong anitbiotic ,something to lessen her cough ,try some honey and peppermint mixed even with a tiny drop of lemon in it .until you see the vet if nothing else .
    not too much though ,ca make her bowels loose .Also ,get some lemon/lime gatorade and mix her water with it .It will keep her body retaining the nutrients she needs .Don't let her play hard ,hold her ,talk to her ,keep her calm and away from other pets or dogs .
    Worms can also make her do that .has she been dewormed ?
    Dog parks can be dangerous for catching just about anything .So can vet offices and any place another dog has been .
    Good luck and let us know what is happening ...God Bless

10. ilovemaltipoos

She has had no shots whatsoever ?? Or has had how many ?
    Lord girl ,get her to a vet and stay away from dog parks,any place there is another puppy or dog ,you can carry things to other pets as well .I would have a vet give her a complete tests and physical ,it could be more than just KC .She needs to be checked thoroughly and as fast as possible .And no it is not ok that she is not up to date on shots etc. Most likely that is why she is sick .If she ad had what she needed ,more than apt she would not 'catch " other stuff .

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

With kennel cough even after the anitbiotic rounds, the cough can still last up to a few weeks. But not as bad as at first. I hope she is doing better. Whats going on now. Remember if using cough syrup always the childrens.

12. ilovemaltipoos

Thankyou June ,I fogot to say only chidrens syrup .And KC lingers even after the anitbiotics ,you have that nailed .

13. Prncess

Prncess New Member

my poor baby....i'm so sad, it's been 1 month and some now, i wasn't able to get her her shots because she was coughing 2 days after i got her, and the first day after i took her to the vet and it was only check up and he said she didn't need shots yet until another 2 weeks but by that time he said she couldn't get shots because her immune system is too weak.

As of today, she is still coughing, i finished the antibiotics, and then took her to the doctor and he said that she is probably not coughing but a hacking sneeze thing similar to a hacking cough????? i'm so confused, because he saw her cough but he didn't tell me the difference before. In any case, he says that when dogs are in deep sleep they tend to have this "excitement" thing and their noses inside rub together and causes them to have this "coughing" noise or when your dog gets real excited when they see someone and they are real happy? is this normal? Does anyone else have a dog that just coughs at night, in the morning, and when they are excited and running and playing around? but then he noticed that my baby started getting red tonsils? so why is that?

Is there any actual doctor of any kind that visits these forums? I am still so confused? And why hasn't she gotten better? =( sniff.....

14. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

My two poms do the hacking thing when they get excited. Not when they wake up though. I am taking them to the vet though to make sure this is normal. They get me a little worried sometime!

15. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

O it sounds like kennel cough to me my puppy got it when we first got her. We tried two doctors prescriptions and one worked it was "clavamox drops" I recommend that it really helped

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

You know dogs also get tonsilitous. (sp) I know of two people that their dogs had it. Have him do maybe a throat culture if he will. There is also this reverse sneeze that people always seem to mention and trachea problems. I am not certain what a reverse sneeze sounds like but my poodle does make a noise that could be it. Not sure.
    Being that your pup has a red throat, ask them to check for tonsilitous. It is very contagious also to other dogs too. besides the KC.

17. ilovemaltipoos

reverse sneexing sounds almost like a cough inhaled ,more common in flat faced dogs and Maltese I believe .I had one maltipoo to do it ,scared the life outta the owners and me till we knew what it was ,mostly it is when they are excited or sometimes can even happen while they are sleeping ,sorta choking noises ...hard to expalin the sound ,but the best thing is to gently massage the throat is what I am told .Although I did order a book to read on it and some other books ,taking the longest to get here !!!! I think they have my husband working for the book publishers and they mailed them to themselves ,he is good at it ! :D

18. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I am just going to put my 2 cents in here~

The only thing that leads me to believe that it is not reverse sneezing, technically termed "Paroxysmal respiration," is the fact that Prncess said it is a hacking type cough. I have heard a good number of dogs do this reverse sneezing, and when it is happening it sounds like the dog is snorting, quite loudly, (sometimes it may sound like a horn) rapidly several times in a row. While it is happening, most dogs will stand there with their necks extended out, legs bowed out usually, and appear as if their are having great difficulty breathing during the episode. Most of the time, the episode usually lasts only for about 10-20 sec., although for some dogs it can last for a few minutes. For people who have never heard or seen it happen, it is VERY scary, but nothing to worry about!

Treatment for when it happens:
    If you don't do anything your dog will be just fine, so don't worry about if it happens when you are not there. But, if you are there when it happens, there are a few things you can do to to help stop it (it doesn't always work though, and that is when you just have to let nature take its course)

-like Malti mentioned, gently massage the throat (in my experience with other dogs, this usually works best)

-lightly blow in the dog's nose

-or gently close off his/her nostrils for a second or two

**And be sure to stay calm during the episode, you don't want your dog to start panicking because he sees you flipping out. Just talk to him in a very calm voice as if there was nothing wrong.

If this happens to your dog randomly a few times here and there, not too frequently, then there is nothing to worry about. In other words, medical treatment is not needed. When it becomes very frequent, and severe, is when your dog should be checked for any other problems besides just reverse sneezing!

I am not a professional, but this is what I have been taught. For the safety of the dog, I would definitely have him/her vet checked even if one suspects it is reverse sneezing. It's always better to be safe than sorry!!! :y_the_best:

Alright, I am done preaching now! :D

19. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Prncess~

Out of curiosity, has your vet checked your pup for a collapsing trachea? The symptoms you mentioned sound like some of those found in dogs with collapsing trachea problems. (Such symptoms sound like many problems found in dogs, as is usually the case with various symptoms and problems, I am just curious if she was checked for this particular problem.)

I hope you soon find out what the problem is! :D

20. ilovemaltipoos

No ,you are right and I don't think reverse sneezing either ,I was just trying to explain the sneezing better .Though I have only experienced it one time ,so for me it was a hard explain ,to me it sounded like a snort inhaled ,scared me witless .I massaged the throat cause I actually thought the dog was choked .My vet said right thing to do .
    Now .I truly believe that her dog has KC or either a very bad case of dog flu ,very similar and may as well be the same things ,very contagious and needs some heavy duty treatment .
    And as Puttin said ,check that throat .But then most dogs that are hacking have a sore throat .