1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please!I really need some help!And FAST!!!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by KittyTales, Sep 12, 2004.

1. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

My mom wants to declaw my kitten in December! :cry: She is going to be 6 months old when she gets declawed! :cry: But the thing is she does not scratch up furniture.But my mom says that everyone who wants to have a cat needs to get it declawed. :( But I really love my kitten and I just cant have her declawed.I really need some help and fast. :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

Please have your mom read the information on this website pronto!!
    Declawing not only removes the nail but the first portion of the cats toes..it also can lead to behavioural problems not to mention severe infections...get a scratching post...and a squirt bottle..no animal should have to ever go thru that for material objects!!!

And by the way your mom is wrong..declawing should not be done to all cats..those of us that love our pets would not brutalize our pets in that way.

http://www.declawing.com/

3. adrian1181

adrian1181 New Member

Unfortunatly, if you live with your mother, it's going to boil down to "HER HOUSE, HER RULES"... if you don't live with her, than it's not her decision to make regarding declawing.

If you do live with her at least make sure she reads all the information that you can find on the subject.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/

you could also explain to your mother that she your kitten could also develop behavior issues due to being declawed. The site above is also good....tell your mother she MUST sit down and look through the websites given to you so she can learn what declawing is all about - if she's going to insist it be done she should be informed first.

5. nern

nern New Member

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do since it is your mothers house and you are a minor but I agree with the others on trying to get your mother to at least look at some of the information available about declawing before she has it done. Maybe she will change her mind. Best of luck.

6. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

That's too bad - if she's informed and insists on doing it anyway I guess you don't have a choice - but in the big scheme of things I would rather see a cat go through a declaw than be chucked outside or put in a shelter. You might want to tell her about the Soft Paws, too. I know our shelter won't allow a declaw and sells the Soft Paws quite cheap as an alternative.

7. vene

vene New Member

8. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Has your mother seen all the links that everyone has provided?

9. Ashimmerystar

Ashimmerystar New Member

I am sorry that your mom wants to declaw your kitty. I think that it is pretty horrible and definately not for all cats, or in my opinion any cats.

When a cat is declawed they don't have their most imprtant defenses and I have heard that it hurts them to dig through kitty litter. The cat can still scratch and fight with thier back claws whitch in my experience hurts a lot more because of the force of the legs compared to the arms :lol:

Try to get your mom to not do it, even though I remember when I lived with my parents that it was "do as I say and not as I do."

Let us know, good luck. ](*,)

10. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

why dont you just accidently chop the tips of your mothers fingers off? then you could ask if she still wants the cat declawed :D :D :D

by the way, why does she think all cats need to be declawed? are claws an extended growth of the devil or something?

11. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

oh dear... :m39: lmao....oh dear....i KNOW this is a serious topic...but kyles...oh God...lmao. :shock:

12. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

lol! i didnt mean to make anyone laugh [i think this is a serious subject too] but, it IS a good way to make her mum realise what its like to be a declawed cat. but girls and boys, remember the word accident. you accidently dropped the meat cleaver on your mums hand, OK! and the devil thing? why else would every cat need to be declawed regardless of whether it scratches or not? claws must be a product of the devil!!! only reason i can think of :?

*i claim no responsiblity if anyone carries out the above idea.

13. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

My mom wont listen to me. She says we r going to declaw her and thats final. :cry: But why get her declawed if she doesnot scratch up furniture?
    And I forgot to ask Did anyone notice that I wrote my mom wants to declaw her at 6MONTHS OF AGE? :cry: :cry: :cry:

14. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry that your mom won't change her mind and as much as I am against declawing I do think its better to have it done while they are young if it must be done at all.

15. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this sweet kitten had a drastic change in personality after this surgery. :(

16. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

You all may hate me for this, but my Puck was declawed when he was neutered. :oops: I did it when I was younger (7 or 8 years ago) and didn't realize the implications of it. I wouldn't do it now, of course, because I'm more aware of the process. I do feel guilt about it but think he has forgiven me by now.
    He really didn't have any change in his behaviour. He still gives little Simon a slap when he gets out of hand, and when he gets in a scrap with Tigger he doesn't end up getting the crap kicked out of him, Tigger usually does. I've seen him climb trees, hunt and...erm..kill mice and birds (and bluejays and squirrels) and he hasn't developed a habit of biting when he would normally scratch. The main difference is that he hasn't ever ruined anything (not that I care anymore if they do, it's THEIR stuff!!) and I don't have to put him through the claw clipping every two weeks. I'm definitely not an advocate of this but if there is no alternative (and we all know how parents can be), then there isn't one. Just please make a deal with your mom that she pays for the extra pain killers that the vet should offer and buys the appropriate litter materials until your baby's feet heal up. Hopefully all will go well with it.

17. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but......

Has your mother read all the link information provided in this post?

I just hope she has and is informed on every level.....

18. nern

nern New Member

Never. :wink:
    I think there are many people who have had their cats declawed in the past without really understanding what was really involved. Some vets have (some still do) even pushed delcawing. I'm glad to hear that your cat does'nt have any problems.

19. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

Thanks, Nern. I half-expected to get flamed - although I haven't seen that yet in this group, which is why I like it so much.

20. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

Thanks, Nern. I half-expected to get flamed - although I haven't seen that yet in this group, which is why I like it so much.

Sorry, I hit send twice. lol