1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ponies with Gypsy Blood! - Please help

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by RainbowFarmer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. RainbowFarmer

RainbowFarmer New Member

Hi Everyone,
    We have 2 Shetlands, who we have had for about 2 months with no particular problems. I fortnight ago the older one, a gelding - decided the grass was greener on the other side of the fence and went to visit our very nice neighbour. The younger mare then became really agitated and ran herself ragged, calling and carrying on, before following him over the fence. In the last 2 weeks this pair of nomadic gypsies have continued to jump EVERY fence we have and have visited each neigbour on each perimeter. We have 5 string barb wire fences (4ft) that our donkeys do not attempt to get out of, and we have tried putting them with the donks in case they were after company - nope off they went. We have 8 acres comprising 4 yards, and the ponies are just going straight over whatever perimeter fence they are put in! It's beginning to drive me nuts, as I have to keep cutting the fences and restraining to bring them back in!

Any suggestions....please, please, please - any help with these naughty little buggers would be appreciated.

P.S - the Paddocks are in great condition at the moment, and they get grain/lucerne morning and night and water troughs are kept full. Feed is definately not what they are after, I shouldn't think....

2. Patty

Patty New Member

ponies will be ponies

I have 4 strands of electric fence. When it is hot the horses don't go anywhere near it. Once they got shocked for the first time that was all it took. It even keeps my miniature in who loves to escape. Barb wire can really be dangerous especially with those who ignore it. If they get hung up on it they could really tear themselves apart. Good luck.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

I'm with Patty and I'd go with Electric wire. If you've not firsthand seen the damage Barbed Wire can do to horses who ignore it, it's pretty bad... I'd get electric right away to keep these ponies in and SAFE from possible harm on that barbed wire...

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ihave a one strand electric fence. They don't dare go near it. In Sassy & S.A's area. Its not even turned on.....They see the flags and wire and they won't come with in 2 feet of it.

You can get the tape kind or the rope kind if you prefer that over the galvanized wire. But for the first time I would just string one wire, flagged every 10-12 feet with orange or hot pink tape, and place it a foot away from your barbed wire fence. For Shetlands I would put it about 3 feet from the ground. Get the constant current not the pulsating one....

5. RainbowFarmer

RainbowFarmer New Member

Ok Folks, Am heading over to town today and will check out the how's why's and what to's of electric fencing. We looked at it when we first bought our goats, and decided against it thinking it may actually agitate the animals. Our crew are all very placid and people friendly and the thought of a zap was a bit off putting - but you have made it very clear barb can be very dangerous too, if not more dangerous. Electric is commonly used here (in Central Queensland,) for goats, I think... I have only seen it used once for a horse, and that was a huge stallion that was temporarily housed on a neighbours block. It did seem effective.

Is it that some horses/ponies are just more inclined to jump? There is another shetland on one perimeter that calls out often, but she has never tried to come over here, despite the fact ours went there... And like I said, our donkeys have never tried it. I have noticed some neighbouring properties who have horses and run the same height fences, but some only have 3 or 4 strands of wire... just strikes me as odd - but I am not all that familiar with horses or ponies - so will take your advice, as I imagine you all have much more experience, than I do. Dogs, poultry and goats are probably more up my alley..

The bloke at the back suggested the ponies are still establishing their yard. They began doing this after we began the yard rotations, and were fine until we moved them from the house yards and orchard into the bigger paddocks. He suggested they will do this until they are familiar with their block, and said I should continue to return them quickly alongside verbal reprimands and bring them away from the fenceline and stall them for a short spell whenever I notice them pacing the fences or showing signs of exit. Which I began doing yesterday... that's all good and well, if it happens near the house, but obviously not much chop if its on the other side of one of the paddocks...

They have both come from a petting farm, where they obviously got a lot of attention... and I wonder if they are just off in search of humans. They seem much more willing to be with humans than the other animals. Just an observation...

Anyway, thanks for your help. Will go get ready for town and check out the electric fencing. All the best,
    Nic

6. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

I think the electric fencing is a good idea. We personally don't use electric or barb wire fencing on our rescue ranch. We do have a Shetland Pony mare named Skittles. She came to us from a riding school where she was no longer needed. Like you said since the came from a petting zoo or what ever they were probley most likely spoiled by the constant attention and especially with Shetlands when they are spoiled they develop behavorial problems. Skittles wasent a jumper but a biter constantly begging for the extra attention she yearned for. But she calmed down when my oldest niece started riding her and then she mellowed out and has turned into one of our best rescues on the farm. Im not sure why they have the urge to jump since Shetlands airn't really known fo their urge to jump. I would say your idea that they are searching for more human attention is probley right.