1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

poohead plus

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, May 8, 2004.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

im starting to think there is something more to pepe behaviour than just being a kitten. he is starting to become pretty agressive. most of the time he is playing, VERY rough, but some of the time he is showing true aggression. ive got scratches all down me from picking him up today. he also bit me on the head the other day for no reason. hes anoying my other cat more and more. shes only 4 kgs and i feel so sorry for her when this 6 kg out of control monster jumps on her and starts biting and scratching her out of the blue. i cant even put my hands near him now without him trying to play with them, or grabbing them and biting and scratching with all hes got! i have a sneaking suspicion the breeder knows there is something wrong with him. when i asked her about his allergies she claimed to have known nothing about it. she denied it in the way someone does when they are lying. it was a quick 'no i dont know anything about that' and walked away. didnt ask us questions or look at pepe. she also doesnt give us any information on calming peps down when we say to her 'he is WILD and is getting pretty full on'. maybe she wanted to keep his brother instead of pepe because he was disturbing the peace in their house? who knows. anyway, im going to get the feliway diffuser, see what happens. if he doesnt get better i will ask the vet for more advice. maybe hes just super nervous and needs meds. if he gets too out of control i will be contacting the breeder again and will consider giving him back if he gets unbearable. i really dont want to do that, i want to give him a chance [plenty of chances lol] but if we all start getting injured on a daily basis then it might be the best thing. :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Kyles. :D Okay, if pepe was my kitty this is what I would do:

1) Since he does have allergies, he can't be a happy boy. They can make both cats and humans really grumpy. Since you're having a difficult time finding quality food where you live, talk to your vet about making Pepe's food yourself. Perhaps they have specific information on how to do this so that he is getting all the proper nutrients he needs.

2) I would take Pepe to the vet and have major blood, urine tests on him as well as x-rays. Just to rule out anymore health issues. The breeder may know something, but is not willing to tell you. However, perhaps the vet can find a problem (if any) that relates to his aggression, other than his allergies.

3) Also try the Feliway with Comfortzone and/or the Rescue Remedy (you can put it in his drinking water).

I wish you and Pepe all the best. I hope you continue to work with Pepe, until the mystery of his grumpy self is solved. Hang in there.

3. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry to hear this Kyles. How old is Pepe now? Maybe he is just the really active type and needs more stimulation through play to keep him out of trouble? My cat Chieve used to get pretty wild and at those times he would bite and claw at my feet/hands when I was near him and he would also get a little rough with some of the other cats at times...sneaking up on them and then pouncing and biting. He even bit my roomates head one time. The best way I've been able to control this is by breaking out his toys and stimulating his prey/play aggression until he gets tired out. He has calmed down alot now that he is a little older so this behavior happens less often now. Maybe Pepe will calm down as he gets older too. If nothing seems to help I'm sure your vet will have some suggestions for you or can maybe even recommend a feline behaviorist for you to work with. Medications can be given as a last resort.
    Best of luck. Keep us posted.

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

we went to the vets and they recommended we didnt get the feliway as they have not had much success with it. there is a product on petalia.com.au called calm cat which has essences in it, might give that a try. the vets gave us some dog training cards, which is a bit bizarre but they said they might have some answers. we are also contacting a lady about eagle pack in the hopes we can get it sent north of the river. all the distributors are south of the river because the majority of breeders are there. if his allergies get worse i will take him to the vets and talk to them about it all and see what else i can try. playing doesnt seem to calm him down where human contact is concerned. he gets tired, falls asleep, but if you pat him he will give you a warning bite or walk away and hide. not really right for a cat. he tries to avoid all human contact *sigh*

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

ok, ive gone against the advice of the vets and ive ordered a feliway diffuser and ive also ordered the calm cat. my partners going to kill me hahaha :lol: ill keep you all updated!

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

LOL Kyles. You're doing a great job with Pepe in trying to get to the root of the problem. I understand it's not easy. I still think he's got to be one unhappy boy due to his allergies and also possibly from another medical problem. I sure hope you get it all resolved Kyles. Poor Pepe. It's not his fault he's a poohead. Also, let us know how the Zoom Groom works once it arrives. Take care Kyles and good luck.