1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Post pics of your aquarium!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Heather&Nicole, Jul 28, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

My rams do just fine at the regular tank temps. But right now it is very hot so the tank has been hovering at around 84-86 degrees anyway. I keep my tanks set to 78-80 degrees in the winter and my rams did just fine. Nothing seems to phase these guys.

I know they are recommended for discus tanks because they can withstand the higher temperatures but I don't believe they necessarily need them.

2. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Lights on! :eek:

[​IMG]

I shouldnt need any more lighting then this right?

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

:eek: No, that should be just fine. Is there water in it yet by chance?

4. Heather&Nicole

Nope nope, not yet. Water wont go in until i have all the gravel and all the rest of that extra stuff for it, as well as the stand :)

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ive been thinkin about gettin a 55 and making a mbuna tank how much was yours? did it include filters, heater?

EDIT: i didnt mean 5g i ment 55g :oops:

6. Heather&Nicole

Yes it included Filters, lights, Heater, Starter Chemicals, Start fish food, fish net, instructions, fish care booklet..i forget what else.

$158+tax at walmart

7. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Wow good deal ive been lookin in the buy sell and havent found one cheaper then 200$ Canadian

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Thanks tina! What other fish do you have with yours?

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

Unknown, I keep them with lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, cories and otos. I used to keep them with killifish and they got along great too. One thing I am learning about these guys is that they really need small schooling tetras to act as dither fish for them. Cardinals are supposed to work out perfectly for this. When I had them in with the killies, I never even saw them. Now that I have the schooling lemons in there they come out all the time :)

I also have a regular German Blue ram in my 20 gallon with guppies, a pictus cat, more guppies, CAEs, clown loaches, and pristella tetras. They all get along great :)

Main thing about rams is keeping your nitrates as low as possible, under 20 is ideal, but mine are rarely under 35 or 40 (got them in the tap water) and they still do just great. They prefer live plants and lots of places to hide. They also need places to create their own little territories like most cichlids.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

My 55 mbuna tank is a Walmart tank too, but I ended up replacing the heater & filter. The new heater (Visitherm) cost about $30 from the LFS, but they recently broke it so this fall I'm going to have to buy a new one. :x My new filter is a Cascade 700 canister which cost somewhere around $80.

-Chelle

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Do you think that clown loaches would be okay with them?

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

Yes, clowns would do fine. I have clowns in with my female blue ram.

14. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Do you have any idea how big clown loaches get?

15. tina1

tina1 New Member

Between 10 and 12 inches long and quite fat if memory serves. But it takes them a while to get there.

16. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I cannot post my aquarium.. No camera :cry: but.. anyway, impressive tanks you guys got out there!!!