1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Princess cichlid

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, Apr 19, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

Anyone ever heard of a princess cichild? I can find a little info about them but I was wondering if anybody's had any personal experiences with them or has some knowledge about this fish. I've been looking into getting a 55 gallon and I'm thinking I'd like to make it an african cichlid tank. I'd love some yellow labs, johannis, peacocks, and princess cichlids. I think the scientific name of the cichlid is something brichardi. Does that ring any bells? Would this kind of cichid combo be ok?

I'm also thinking about just setting it up as a tetra only tank. I'd try to get some diamond tetras, congos, emporer tetras, blue tetras, rummy nose, columbian tetras, and lemons. But that's only if I can get the lfs to do some special ordering for me.

Or, my third option. Move my balloon rams into the 55 and get about 4 angels and a mango pleco (if he goes down in price, right now its $69.99!)

What do you guys think?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wow, thanks Chelle. Might be a stupid question but why not mix lakes? Do the fish have different requirements? I know most of the Malawi's are more aggressive than the brichardi so I wouldn't put those together but is there a more general reason?

Thanks.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I believe the main reasons are they require different environments, have different aggresion levels, and require different foods.

-Chelle

5. Hooben

Hooben New Member

The brichardi are a lot less aggressive than the malawis. I would venture to say that the tanganyikas are a lot more enjoyable because they tend to fight less with each other.
    I have kept fishes from both lakes at the same parameters and they have done fine. Just don't keep them together!

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

Thanks Hooben. I'm now thinking about doing the 55 as a T lake (don't wanna spell it) tank. I'd put down some sand and get lots of rocks from a local nursery that has pond supplies. I'd also get some hardy java ferns and vallisneria for plant life. Then get about 4 of the brichardi and four or five of another blue green T lake cichlid I saw and I'd also like some shell dwellers. I think it would make for an interesting tank and I think I'd like it more because the aggression level would be lower. I hate to see fish fighting. Do you think this would make for a good setup? At the end there would be about 15 or so fish.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!