1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

puppy vaccinations after parvo

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yes, they all did. But only Ashley was hit really hard with it. Most of them were only sick for a day or so, with some relapsing later for another day or so.

One person who has two of them says she isn't sure her pups had parvo. They had some of the symptoms but not all and they weren't very bad off. She had them vaccinated last Sunday and they are being spayed today.

Another foster has two of them and they both had parvo. One had it much later than the other. Neither one was too bad off. She is tentatively vaccinating tomorrow and spaying/neutering next Friday.

One pup was with a different foster but she is currently on vacation. The pup had parvo, got better, and then relapsed several days later. I haven't heard much detail about that one. The pup is being watched by one of the other fosters until her person gets back home, so I don't know what her schedule is.

UPDATE: I just found out the ones being spayed today had to postpone a week. They have snotty noses. Hmmmm. Vaccinated too early? Mine also had runny noses but they are over them now.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ha! there ya go! Get the vaccs, then just hold on to em.... If they ask, you can show them your reciept and the pkgs.

HOld out on Ashley, as long as you can. Has her appetite increased any?

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Ashley ate all 3 meals yesterday, and I also squirted some nutrical into her a couple times. I am feeding her the amount I did when I first got them. I have since increased Mary Kate's ration, due to her age and weight.

The bag says 1 1/3 - 2 1/2 cups (per day) for 10 pound puppies between ages 6-11 weeks. They are calling them 10 weeks old now. Mary Kate is eating 2 cups a day and would like to eat more. I have Ashley eating 1 1/2 cups and will start increasing. She's still skin and bones.

Sams, do you think if I got Mary Kate spayed without giving her more vaccs first, would she be in danger of picking something up while at the vet's office?

4. Samsintentions

I don't know. IMO I wouldn't risk it until she's vaccinted. Distemper and kennel caugh is what I'd fear. I don't like the fact that their spaying them so young. I've never spayed and or neutered a dog until it was at LEAST 4 months old. Sorry, but thats just me.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

All the shelters around here spay/neuter before sending the animal home. They'll do them at 8 weeks, as long as they are at least 5 pounds. It's horrible that shelters have to resort to that because stupid people won't bring them back in to be fixed, even with a free certificate.

6. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Jam - where are you from? What state?

In my area - vets and shelters don't alter dogs until 6 months!

Please think about the type of shelter you are working for.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am in Kansas. ALL the shelters here spay/neuter before releasing an animal. Every single one.

There is much data that says early spay/neuter is easier on the animal. The surgery is shorter, they bleed less, and recover more quickly. One of my dogs was spayed at 14 weeks and she was absolutely fine the day after when we picked her up. I have a friend whose kitten was neutered at 8 weeks and never had a problem.

They used to use spay/neuter contracts, but the people wouldn't bring the animals back in. So now, they are forced to do the surgeries before they will release the animal. It's either that or keep contributing to pet overpopulation.

There is no choice here. There are a billion shelters and rescues and they all require spay/neuter before releasing the animal. We are in puppy mill country here.

I do the best I can within the system for these animals. The animal can't control what shelter it is in or what the policies are. I just do the best I can.

8. Samsintentions

That does suck. I jsut worry about development problems when you start altering the animals like that at such an early age. You'd think the lack of hormone growth would stunt them. I don't know though.

Most shelters around here have a spay and neuter contract as well. Thats why I don't deal with them unless I have to. they'd rather spay and neuter a pup before letting it go to a home. They give out certificates as well..

Stupid that things have to resort to that kind of thing. All because of irresponcible people. LSER and H4H, won't let you become the owner or adopt one of their animals for a year! You have them for a year, and if all is upkept, and UTD and they comply with the rules, then they get the adoption papers. They get 3 visits during the course of the first year. with horses that have been abused, LSER and H4H won't take that risk that another irresponcible owner gets ahold of one of the animals.

Most fosters end up adopting or keeping the animals. Just for the plain fact that people can't be trusted, and to be completely honest. If you want to adopt an animal. Then there shouldn't be a doubt in your mind or you shouldn't have a problem with that policy. I know I wouldn't. LSER does not make it hard to adopt, you fill out the papers, get approved, take your animal. LSER will call and ask how things are going, and call the vet that you use to make sure the animal is UTD on treatments and vaccinations, ect.. Then ask to come see them a few times during the first year at the new adopters convienance.