1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

question about African Cichlid tempraments

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nano, May 27, 2006.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

I recently acquired a frontosa and a blue pseudotropheus(?) The frontosa is starting to get the hump on the head, and is black and white striped, almost a bluish tone to it, really a beautiful fish. What are the tempraments of these fish, and about how big will they get? And what other fish are suitable to put along with these? It's been awhile since I have kept African Cichlids. What is the best way to decorate, or set up a tank for African Cichlids? Thanks.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I believe fronts are moderately aggressive and get anywhere from 10" - 16" and do best in large colonies (which means you're going to have to have a very large tank). It's also not very compatible with the pseudropheus. Fronts need a meatier diet whereas the pseudotropheus is an herbivore (too much protein can cause some serious health problems and death). The pseudotropheus also won't get nearly as large as the front (most max out between 4" - 6") and it should also be kept with other similar africans.

So really, the best thing would be to set up 2 tanks. One with a front colony (I'd think a 180+ would be a good size) and one with some mbuna (like the pseudotropheus - 40+ gallons would be good).

-Chelle