1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question about common goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by betta lover, Aug 30, 2005.

1. betta lover

betta lover New Member

I just bought two regular common goldfish yesterday, but when I brought them home I realised that one goldfish has a darker orange then my others. Could it be that it could be a male and my others could be female?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Probably not. Sex can't be determined by color in goldfish.

Pretty much the only way to sex goldfish is to look for breeding tubercles. They are little white bumps that will appear on the gill and edges of fins of males but only when they're ready to breed. You can also look at the vent area. Females will have a small bump there. But it's really difficult to see so unless you have a lot of experience sexing goldfish, you're probably not going to be able to do it accurately.

Also, I hope you know that common goldfish can get over a foot long and will need at least 50 gallons each (which is why they're really not suitable for aquariums).

-Chelle