1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question about fish compatibility

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by gravity, Dec 1, 2004.

1. gravity

gravity New Member

I have a 29g with four 2 inch clown loaches in it. I was wondering if I could put a betta in that tank with them. I want the tank to really center around the clowns, named Homey, Bozo, Krusty, and Ronald McDonald, but I'd like to add something with bright colors that won't interfere with the clowns and kinda stick to the upper reaches of the water.

DEFINITELY no mollies. I'm still traumatized from the ich episode. I guess I could go with guppies, but I'd rather have a betta. Would it work, or would the clowns harass the betta too much?

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

its a hard call ive had excpireinces with both of them. it kinda of depends on the betta you get because each betta has a unique personality ie. some are friendly and tolenrant of other fish and some just flat out arent. clown loaches tend to stay near the bottom so if you got a top dweller ie hathets that might work out for you as well.. let me know what your going to do. -tl

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A betta might work, it will just depend on the individual presonality of the fish.

If it where me, I'd go with some small tetras like neons or glowlights. Glowlights have an orange stripe which IMO would go really well with the clown loaches.

And whatever you get, quarantine them first.

-Chelle

4. gravity

gravity New Member

Okey dokey, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go ahead with the betta idea since I already have a 2 gallon that I could throw him in if a problem develops. I'm also going to probably go with Sunset and Sunrise platies (4 of each). They're pretty active and would provide a stark, bright contrast to the loaches.

Thanks for the quarantine idea. I've been reading about clown loaches' susceptibility to ich, so I'm keeping a close eye. I got all 4 of them for $16, which is a steal, so I don't want to risk anything.

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

they say Betta's are siceptible to Ich more than others, although iv never experienced, but i have found with mine that the betta doesnt like a filtered tank, as they come from water thatt is distilled and prefere unfiltered water, but, if there are plently of hidding places it should do fine, my betta and clown get along fine!

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Bettas are fine with filtered water. What they may have trouble with is the current from the filter. But there are ways to break up the current such as putting a plant in front of the outlet.

-Chelle

7. 3_second_memory

and watch the plant whitther away from the filter flow. lol, thats what happens to my plants!
    great info t-chelle,

8. tski22

tski22 New Member

ever hear of a plastic plant?? you dont have to be so rude, and that actually does work because i do it in my 35 to break up the noise and current. -tl

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Maybe it wasnt intended to be rude. She said lol after it usually thats meaning the sentance is a joking form.

10. 3_second_memory

thank you OnesWolfDream. you understand my humour, i was joking. I never intend to hurt anyone, and yes i have heard of plastic plants, i work in a fish shop. Please dont use sarcasm, its not nice.

I know the idea works, but i was once silly enough to hide a filter with plants and wondered why then the next morning my plants were half their hight! lol. Call me stupid if you will, but everyone has to learn, wdnt u agree.

So please dont take offense just see it as it was, a joke.

OneWolfsDream! Hv i Pmed U, or is it Ur turn?