1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question about my African cichlid tank and number of fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by gravity, Oct 16, 2004.

1. gravity

gravity New Member

I have a 55g tank with African cichlids and a pleco. There are 6 young cichlids, including a Jewel (the largest at just under 3"), a Cobalt Blue, and a Chipokae (sp). I was under the impression, due to the inch of fish per gallon of water rule, that this was the most fish I can have in the tank. If I was at home, I'd post some pics. Can I add more fish without adding extra filtration/water changes? I currently do 30% every 3 weeks, is that enough? If so, how many more cichlids can I add without the number being detrimental to the bioload?

BTW, I'm thinking of trading my Cobalt back to the LFS because he's super aggressive. He pushes around all the others except the Jewel, who smacked him when he tried to nip at his tail. My other choice would be to add fish that are larger than the Cobalt so he's no longer one of the dominant members of my microcosmic aquarium.

Any suggestions would be accepted gratefully.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would find a new home for the Jewel. Although they are technically african cichlids, they aren't african rift lake cichlids so they're really not compatible with your other fish.

For stocking, if you're only willing to do 30% water changes every 3 weeks, I wouldn't suggest having any more than 5 or 6 africans in there which would mean only 2 species max (it's recommended to have 2 - 3 females/male). If you do 30% weekly water changes (which is really best), then you could do 10 - 12 fish and have 3 - 4 species.

Also, if you're going to be trading the cobalt in, I would stick with mbunas (since that's what your chipokae is). Mbuna and haps/peacocks have completely opposite dietary needs and it's difficult to cater to both in a single tank w/o running into some health problems.

-Chelle

3. gravity

gravity New Member

Well, in an interesting twist, my Chipokae is now missing. Completely gone. He's not in the tank, and he's not anywhere outside of the tank. And I don't have any other pets, so unless my roommate ate him.... He was one of the smaller fish, so I'm thinking the Cobalt assassinated him and he was gotten to by the other fish and my 7 inch pleco. As sad as that is, I guess it makes my situation easier as far as removing the Jewel and the Cobalt because the Cobalt is my only remaining Mbuna.

Guess it's time to hit up the LFS. Thanks for the help t_chelle.

4. gravity

gravity New Member

Ok, I'm very confused. The Chipokae is back from wherever he went. The thing is, when I looked for him, I pulled out all the decorations in the tank. He wasn't there, and I hadn't seen him in 2 days. I come back from the LFS, thankfully without trading fish yet, and there he is. He's either the smartest fish ever, or I'm blind as a bat. For self-esteem reasons, I'm going with smartest fish ever. He is "the doctor" (his official name is Dr. James P. Milton, III) after all.

Anyhoo, I'm going to wait a few days before making any final decisions on what to do. I haven't had any problems with the Jewel being aggressive at all, which might be a result of him being the only one in the tank. If anything, he keeps the Cobalt in line.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I know someone who found a clown loach in his canister filter 5 months after it disappeared. It was really pale & thin but still alive. :shock:

-Chelle

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I wanted to try that with a feeder.. I didnt tho

7. gravity

gravity New Member

well, thanks to both of you for keeping my self esteem high. =) For awhile there, I thought I was losing my mind.