1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION ABOUT NUTERING

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mdman126, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi everyone, i have a 7 months old large pom puppy and i have been contemplating if i should nuter him or not? i have met people who told me it is inhumane to nuter a dog , they say: would you nuter your son? the dog is just like humans noone has a right to just cut their balls.
    on the other hand some people have advised me to nuter him for sure.
    could you guys please tell me what i should do? i am really confused.
    thanks

2. karma

karma New Member

Neutering will insure that there are less unwanted puppies in the world. Unless you plan on being a breeder, which takes lots of education and commitment, your dog should be neutered.

It's totally unfair to compare neutering a dog with neutering a human being. We hope that human beings will grow up to make intelligent, discriminating choices regarding their reproduction. A dog will not be able to do the same. A male dog will mate anytime, anywhere, with any available female. (Well, the same could be said for some humans.......)

Please have your dog neutered.

3. nern

nern New Member

Neuter, neuter, neuter! :y_the_best:

I disagree with this. Dogs are not just like humans. Unaltered dogs have an instinct to mate.....they will impregnate several females with no regard as to what will happen to their offspring. Dogs do not have morals like humans do.
    Neutering decreases undesirable behaviors (such as roaming or escaping to mate, dog to dog aggression, marking and humping) as well as reduces the risks of certain cancers. Neutering is not only beneficial to the owner but also to the dog.

For more info on neutering, please check out this site:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_neuter.html

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I agree neutering is not inhumane an intact male has the risk of cancers the same as unaltered females.

an intact male will do anything to get to a female in heat and will even get into fights over a female they will escape every chance they get and they will go where ever an in heat female is.

A male dog can smell a female in heat upto 10miles away so there is another risk of him roaming and either causing an accident or being hurt or even killed.

So the best thing to do is have him nuetered.
    If he is neutered now it reduces the hormones in his body which will then make him less likely to try and mate with everything in sight.
    He is still a baby so its best to get it done young as his hormones have not kicked in properly yet.

A neutered dog is a happy dog and healthy dog.

Mike

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

OMG.... neuter, neuter, neuter is right!
    I don't know who gave you those comments, but I'd be interested in hearing what the veterinarians would say to that! sheeeeesh...... Undoubtedly, the majority of vets would recommend neutering. And they certainly wouldn't do it if it was cruel and unusual punishment. You may want to call a local vet clinic just to get some clinical advice -- pros and cons....

I had my dog neutered at 6 months and he came out of it with flying colors... I don't even think he realized anything happened! I took the whole thing harder than he did, I'm sure :qm3:

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

The people that are telling you not to neuter don't know about what goes on in the dog world. It is very necessary to neuter. If you have taken a look at any of the shelters lately, All these dogs are unwanted. Do you want to add to this problem. Are these people men that are telling you not to neuter. Most men think of it as a manly thing and that it takes away from the personallity of a male. That is soooo very untrue. The only way it could be inhumane is if they neutered them without pain killers, that would be inhumane. But the dog is fully asleep, under pain killers, then given anti-biotics. It's the best thing.

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I COMPLETELY agree with what everyone has said thus far! :y_the_best:

Whoever is telling you that neutering a dog is inhumane is feeding you a crock of bull! If done professionally, by a licensed vet, who treats the situation with utmost care, the procedure is completely humane. When neutering (or spaying) you are not only doing your dog a favor, but you are doing a favor for yourself (behavioral benefits) along with helping to reduce the rise in unwanted and unplanned puppies. It's simply absurd to compare humans and dogs in a situation such as this!

I would encourage those who are stating that neutering is inhumane to spend a day at a shelter (NOT a no-kill shelter). Have them walk up and down the aisles of cages where dogs anxiously await for a kind soul to take them to a place where they can call home. Then, have them get the list of dogs to be PTS that day, and have him/her find each dog on the list and bring them one-by-one into "the room" where they will be given a lethal injection to have them PTS - or maybe into the gas chamber, depending on the method used by the shelter. Next, have him/her carry the now dead dog(s) into the freezer where he/she will stack the dog(s) neatly on top of the other dead dogs. Then, maybe, just maybe, after seeing such horror, they will realize the need to spay and neuter your pet(s).

(Not all dogs at shelters are due to unwanted and unplanned litters, but A LOT of them are...that's the number one reason I hear!)

WE SIMPLY DON'T NEED ANYMORE UNWANTED AND UNPLANNED LITTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Please do realize that I am not upset at you, but rather at the sheer ignorance of those who state, with no truth, that neutering (or even spaying) is inhumane!

Please, for the sake of your dog, and others, have him spayed! :D

8. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

more questions

i highly appreciate all the replies and thanks to all for your advice. now what i also wanted to know is that is there an age limit or a dead line for nutering a dog and if yes what is the oldest age a dog can be nutered and my second question is the after care of nutering, is it hard? would the dog start biting the site? is it okay for him to run and play and jump?
    my puppy is very very hyper. please let me know and thanks in advance.

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I can only speak from experience with Bailey on this.... Bailey tried a couple of times to "check out the area" and see what happened. We really had to be "on" him for the first day to make sure he didn't irritate and eventually infect the area. If they bother it too much, the vet will probably recommend the ole "CONE HEAD" routine :) They are also not suppose to do any jumping on to high areas, stay away from stairs, etc. for the first day or so (can't remember how long).... We tried to keep him off the stairs (to no avail) and he was fine. We closed the bedroom doors so that he wouldn't jump on the bed (the highest jump) and slept on the floor in the living room the first nite. Sooo... in a nutshell, we really only had to watch him really close for the first 24 hours or so. As far as the age limit, I don't know that (i'm sure mybabyshih or puttin will know more) but I do know people who have neutered adult age dogs. I hear it's possible, but not preferred. <<< my two cents>>>

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Nope! It's just preferred by most vets that it be done at about 6 months before the onset of puberty, which brings about many unwanted behaviors.

My response is pretty much the same as Monster's! It's a good idea to try and keep your dog from doing a lot of physical activity (namely jumping and running) for a couple of days after the surgery. (Mickey & Tigger didn't have free run of the house during the first few days since I didn't want them running up the stairs and/or jumping on beds, couches, and chairs.) Also, keep an eye out for excessive licking at the site, especially biting. If there is, then you have to get one of those dreaded Elizabethan collars. :m39:

Mickey & Tigger were always licking at the site ( :x ), so during the day I had to keep a real close eye on them and stop them when they kept licking. However, I wasn't going to be able to watch them at night when sleeping, and I didn't want to put an E-collar collar on them. So, I went out and bought doggie diapers, lined them with soft material (since the inside is plastic), and put the diapers on them at night. Worked WONDERFULLY!!! :y_the_best:

Hope that helps! :D

11. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

nutering

so babyshihpoo are you saying that i can not nuter my puppy because he is 8 months old now? what should i do? thanks

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Oh goodness, no!!! You can most definitely have him neutered now even though he is 8 months old...nothing wrong with that at all! :y_the_best: I just stated the whole 6 months old thing because some people wonder why most vets recommend neutering at around 6 months.

A dog can be neutered at any age, but around 6 months old is considered "ideal" by most vets' standards. The reason they say 6 months is because by then the pup is then physically mature enough for neutering (and spaying), and in most cases, the undesired behaviors associated with an intact dog have not started yet - they want to alter the dog before the problems begin so to prevent them from occurring. Is that to say a dog older than 6 months shouldn't, or can't, be neutered (or spayed)? Absolutely not...they definitely can!!! As a matter of fact, a lot of people who didn't have their dog(s) neutered during the "ideal" time, and are experiencing the common problems with intact dogs, often bring their dogs in to have them spayed or neutered for that very reason.

(Most vets I know won't neuter or spay a dog any earlier than 6 months!)

To sum it up, YES, despite your dog being 8 months (which is still very young), he would be just fine being neutered, no doubt about it!!! He's still at a perfect age to be neutered, being so young (which is a good thing), he will bounce back from the surgery in no time at all!

I'm sorry if I was unclear in what I stated, I hope that helped to clear things up...if not, please do let me know, I don't want you to be confused!!! :D

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi the puppy i kept from my last litter will be 6months old in september and i am having him netured since he is not being used for a stud dog.

Some vets will spay/neuter from 8weeks old some prefer no earlier than 6months old my gran had her male dog neutered at the age of 5years old with no problems other than he still thinks he is an intact male at times.

8 months old is not to young and not too old to have your pup neutered the recovery is alot quicker in younger dogs than in the older ones.
    I would say go for it get him neutered he will not lose his personality and will still be the same bouncy little guy he is now.

I totally agree with everyone especially MyBabyShihPoo if these people that say its inhumane to nueter a dog did what Shigpoo Suggested they should soon realise that is the kindest thing to do it also helps stop young females from getting pregnant and something going wrong and killing both her and the litter so please go ahead and have him neutered.

Mike

14. lil96

lil96 New Member

I always wonder what is inhumane about getting animals desexed? I never understood that.
    But anyway, when Luther was fixed he didn't have any problems. He had the sttches that disolve. Everything went fine.

15. harleyandhemi

harleyandhemi New Member

i need to know something

my boyfrinds brother girlfriend got ther beagle neuter and says that he must keep the cone on his head all the time and can only go for a 5 min walk... but he runs around the house like crazy and she lets him run up and down stair. help some one please tell me you dis agree with her