1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question re: fishless cycle

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

With a fishless cycle, do you have to buy a prduct like "cycle" or others that claim to add bacteri to the water or by just adding ammonia will the bacteri develop? With my current tank beaing so small and only holding one fish I assume (I took a crash course) that the bacteri developed on its on over time becuase the ammonia stays very low, but no one seems to know how the bacteri get their to begin with,

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I just relised that I can use the filter + the filter media to get it started so nevermind.

3. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

how do you get started with the filter?

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

It was running in my old tank so I'm hopping that after laying some of my olg gravel, and taking the filter to the new tank it will help. I had actually poured something called "cycle" on my filter and by god it worked wonders. Most people dont seem to trust it but its worked very well for a very small tank.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: Quick Question

The only "bacteria in a bottle" product I know of that actually works is called BioSpira. It should be kept refrigerated until you add it to your tank or the bacteria will most likely die. All it does is seed the tank and speeds up the cycling process. It claims to cycle the tank in 24 hours, but the average I've heard of is about 5 - 7 days. If you want, you can take the gravel and filter media from your old tank (assuming you no longer want to keep fish in it) and transfer it to the new tank. That will help speed things up a little.

When I set up my 10 gallon, I just took some filter media from my established tanks and put it in the 10 gallon filter. I added the fish the same day and never saw any ammonia. But since you're going from a 2 gallon to a 5 gallon, it probably will go through some cycling.

-Chelle

-Chelle