1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Razor Edge Bloodline

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by DoTheTwo, Jul 14, 2004.

1. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Before you take my word for it on anything, I'd feel much better if someone more experienced in showing/breeding would chime in. Also, your dog is a beautiful dog - faults or not - besides, every dog has at least some tiny fault. As for the pics - I realize he was a few weeks younger in the 1st pic - What I meant by 'it looks like a different dog' is that his feet themselves look like they litterally are not from the same dog. And as far as I know, splayed feet and low pasterns aren't something a pup grows out of. That's also why I find it so hard to really judge a dog's true conformation from a pic. In one pic a dog could appear to have horrible conformation, but it's just because the way it's standing, the angle of the photo, ect. Probably the best thing for you is to really study the conformation page I posted, and judge your pup yourself. Or, if his breeder shows dogs, and actually wins at shows, (s)he should be able to tell you your pup's faults. In my opinion, they shouldn't be breeding unless that is the case anyway (but I'm guilty of breeding when I had no place doing so - so I can't say too much I guess). I am glad that you were looking for an evaluation of your dog's conformation. After I re-read your post that asks for opinions, I was afraid I was really going to step on your toes if you didn't mean his conformation. I'm glad you found the info/link helpful. I know I will be referencing back to that page a lot over the coming years. :wink:

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I would give an honest conformation opinion but the pics aren't showing. It says thanks for stealing my bandwith.

3. DoTheTwo

DoTheTwo New Member

Pictures back up... for some weird reason - it keeps going away and coming back.

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

The best way to know of your dogs conformation is to talk to the breeder first about which quality you will be buying, for the price you paid I'd hope it would be show quality as the price was for show quality dog, but with this line of dogs that doesn't seem to be true. So you would need to talk to the breeder about which dogs were for what purpose and have your dog evaluated by a couple different judges.
    Like spencerpits said its very hard to judge from pics, they can exaturate a fault or hide a fault. To judge proper conformation as best as possible you need a level pic from the side, one from the front and one from the rear. The dog appears to have lost its splated feet, which can sometimes happen with age, but it is a fault I've seen on a lot of adult RE dogs. The ears seem slightly big and flat, this is just a minor fault but roseprick is the prefered. I also believe he is lacking depth to his median furrow, it should have some depth to it. His snout is a tad long in proportion to his head, but not bad. I don't think its enough to be considered snipey and may change as he gets older. Its hard to tell from these photos but it doesn't appear that his elbows/stifles are square. I can't tell anything about anglulation from these photos. Or head/chest ratio, or much else from the front view. I also can't see the teeth/bite of course. The tail is too long, it shouldn't be past the hock but should end there. He should have a "pump handle" tail, which is the way he's carries it.

5. DoTheTwo

DoTheTwo New Member

Much thanks to True_pits and Spencerpits.

6. DoTheTwo

DoTheTwo New Member

I went and done a little more research on Bully's Pedigree. It seems as though Razor Edge bloodline isn't as bad as some people had made it out to be. I now think Razor Edge is actually a pretty good bloodline.

In my dog's Predigree - the sire's mom Inna Rage of Razor Edge Kennel was a Champ and the sire's grandpa Throwing Knuckles of Razor Edges Kennel was a Grand Champ. The dam's father Rizzo of Makaveli Kennel is also a Champ. I think this is the reason why my dog was alittle more on the expensive side.

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I wasn't trying to make it out to be "bad". Just tell the honest truth, a lot of health problems have been running through this line. I don't think Chickee was lying about her pup having health problems and there have been many, many others in the same position.
    As far as CHs I think I said their have been SOME CHs but a lot of people just breed them just to breed them and sell them for a lot to make money. The reason your dog was so expensive isn't because of the few CH or GR CHs in its ped, its simply because the people want to peddle and the sell the pups at a high price and they can. I have dogs with CHs parents who Grand parents are also titled and from good bloodlines but I didn't have to overpay to get them. Reading your post it would mean the pedigree shows you have 2 CH in the 2nd gen, 1 GR CH in the 3rd gen, thats hardly anything, not to be rude or make your dog sound bad, but many dogs have that sort of thing in their peds but they aren't made out to be high quality or sold for 4 digit price tags. Those are also the same few dogs that are usually in most peds especially knuckles stuff has been peddled.
    So thats not really the reason its on the expensive side. You see, you can take a Razor Edge dog with a couple CHs in the pedigree and breed it to some other blue dog and sell the pups for $2000 without either of the parents being CHs or anything.
    I recommended what I thought was a good line and kennel Gaff and they have MANY CHs out there, however it was also mentioned by another poster that their dogs are also showing up with health problems. So you just never know. A pedigree can't tell you how good of a line it is, just because it has a few titled dogs. Doesn't mean they have good health and that ALL dogs from the bloodline have good conformation. I know a few people with Razor Edge/Rowdytown stuff and their dogs are not quality this includes the dog GR CH Throwin Knuckles in the pedigree. Always did like that dog Throwin Knuckles though.

Anyway I'm not trying to make your dog or its line out to be bad. I was just trying to inform of some of what I've seen from the RE line. I'm also just trying to help you out to learn out to read pedigrees and stuff like that. I understand that their are a lot in your position, "consumers" who may not know whats what when it comes to buying a pup.

EDIT:
    I also would like to add that I'm no "cheapskate" and don't expect to get a dog for free or some $200. I'm not some one who doesn't expect to pay for quality or think pay more then $300 is ridiculous like some people do. I know dogs are usually not cheap from reputable breeders. I was about to pay $1000 for a pup myself, but then decided not to because of the bottom side. The sire is a CH and also a nice producer and his parents, grand parents, great grand parents, ect are all titled, the full 4 gens on top and then some back. The bottom side was also a good bloodline a nice dam, double bred off a GR CH and titled dogs on back. I'd say with the reputation of the dogs, the good bloodline and excellent pedigree the dog is worth $1000. But I didn't want the bloodline of the dam although its considered a good one, so I decided not to get the pup and I'll probably still be looking into getting something out of the sire bred to a different female one thats from a line I want. Maybe next summer sometime. Something that goes with what I have. I usually don't want to spend more then $600-800 when looking for a pup and there are many good ones in that price range, but I'll spend more for a dog that is very well bred.

8. DoTheTwo

DoTheTwo New Member

How come there are so many GR Champs? Is it just from the area's they compete in?

9. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

GR CHs are champions of champions, if that makes any sense. Once your dog is titled in say conformation, it competes in champion classes among other champions. Then, after so many wins/points against other champions, it is titled GR CH. True_pits, if I've got it wrong, please correct me, as I'm not in the show circuit yet.

10. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I think you've got it right on! Ch compete against eachother once they get enough points they get the GR CH ttiled and can still continue on to gain more GR CH I, GR CH II, ect. I'm not sure how all that works in UKC, I'm sure its fairly similar, you compete CH against CH and they work to GR CH. There are a lot of CHs and I'm not saying there are sooo many GR CHs, you do see less of those because some people retired their dogs as CHs so they dont make it to GR CH or they work on CH for another dog instead of working on GR CH for the dog who's already a CH.