1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

red belly pacus

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by oger06, May 12, 2004.

1. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I'm afraid that the LFS might just let the fish die... it is a good idea to just leave them there, but it's not right, they'll probably just sit in the back in whatever you brought them. You really need to get rid of some fish AND buy a really big tank. Call all of the fish stores in the phone book and ask if they have large display tanks or would be willing to take some of your fih in. I did this once and one of the stores that I had no idea even had fish turned out to have a very large display tank and I was going to give my Pacus to them. Put some adds around schools, your work, newspaper, and see if anyone wants them (make sure they have a large enough tank though!) if you do want to keep some of your fish- which I'm sure you do- buy a very bug tank (a few hundred gallons.) I'm not very familier with the fish that you listed, except for the pacus and oscars, so I dont know how many fish you could keep in whatever size tank you can afford. T-Chelle will be able to help you would with that though, I'm sure! :wink: So get your fish to a good home and buy a big tank, and find out which fish you can keep in your 60 gallon. And please, next time your decide to buy a fish, do as much research as you can. All you need to do is type in 'Pacus' on Google and they'll be tons of sites that tell ou straight away that they get to be enormous.

2. christianwalker

christianwalker New Member

ok well I will try to get a bigger tank also and keep as many of the fish I can but try to find a home for the ones that get to big that I cant house

3. christianwalker

how do I get rid of the green water in my pool that has my 2 pacus and 6 oscars 1 clown knife 1 texas cichlid 1 jack dympsey I lost my tinfoil barb today it died in the pool and I need to find out asap what to do about the green water how I get it to clear up and etc. PLEASE HELP

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Out of curiosity, what are the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte readings for the pool?

The green water is algae bloom. Algae feeds off of uneaten food and needs light to thrive. So I suggest cutting back on the food a little and try covering maybe 1/2 of the pool with a tarp.

-Chelle

5. christianwalker

I took a sample of the pool water to the LFS and he said it was ok so I got like some liquid to put into the pool to get rid of the algae and he told me something that I can also use pond block they are little blocks that I put into the pool. but I did not get any of the pond block I only got a bottle of pond care algae fix have a clown loach fish and anyone know how big they get I have it in my 60 gallon tank

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I finally got a chance to sit down with your list of fish and come up with a possible game plan. First, here's a list of the fish I remember you listing and their potential sizes (in inches). It's important that you let me know if I missed any fish.

1 pictus catfish - 6
    1 raphael catfish - 6
    1 red tail catfish - 60
    2 african dwarf frogs - 2
    1 kissing gourmi - 10
    2 corry cats - 3
    1 indian sun catfish - 18
    1 kribensis - 4
    1 rainbow shark - 6
    1 striped botia - 4
    1 iridescent shark - 48
    1 bala shark - 14
    1 paradise gourami - 4
    2 pacus - 24
    6 oscars - 14
    1 clown knife - 40
    1 texas cichlid - 12
    1 jack dympsey - 10
    1 clown loach - 10

These are the fish that, IMO, you should get rid of ASAP. Bag them and leave them on the LFS counter if need be.

red tailed catfish
    iridescent shark
    clown knife

These are the fish that you should strongly consider getting rid of. Mainly because of their large size and the fact that they prefer to be in groups which you don't have room for.

clown loach
    bala shark
    kissing gourami (mainly because he's going to be a bit too big for the 60 and can't go in the pool)

Fish for the pool. (Again, I'd like to stress that I have never personally tried keeping a pond of tropical fish so I really can't say if it will actually work. But considering the alternatives, I think it's worth a shot). As far as bioload goes, this stocking should be fine. The major concerns would be temperature in the winter and aggression among the cichlids.

pacus
    oscars
    texas cichlid
    jack dempsey
    sun catfish

And these are the fish you could put in the 60 gallon.

paradise gourami
    striped botia (maybe get 1 or 2 more)
    rainbow shark
    kribensis
    raphael catfish
    pictus catfish

And if you could manage to get at least a 10 gallon, that would be great for these fish.

african dwarf frogs
    cory cats

-Chelle

7. christianwalker

ENTIRE LIST OF FISH WE HAVE ______________________________________
    10' X 30" POOL
    6 OSCARS, 2 PACUS, 1 CLOWN KNIFE, 1 JACK DYMPSEY, 1 TEXAS CICHLID
    10 GALLON FISH TANK # 2
    2 RED EARED SLIDER TURTLES
    10 GALLON FISH TANK # 4
    1 ELECTRIC YELLOW CICHLID, 2 PLECOSTMUS
    LG POND
    FEEDER FISH, 1 LG PLECOSTMUS
    60 GALLON FISH TANK
    1 PICTUS CAT, 1 RAPHAEL CAT, 1 RED TAIL CAT, 2 AFRICAN DWARF WATER FROGS, 1 PINK KISSING GOURMI, 2 CORRY CATS, 1 INDIAN SUN CAT, 1 KRIBENSIS, 1 RAINBOW SHARK, 1 STRIPED BOTIA, 1 BALA SHARK, 1 IRIDESCENT SHARK, 1 PARADISE GOURMI, 1 LG PLECOSTMUS, 1 CLOWN LOACH
    1 GALLON FISH TANK # 1
    EMPTY

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Alright. In addition to what I said before, you're obviously going to need to find homes for all those convicts. None of your tanks are large enough to house adult convicts (except the 60, but you'd have to get rid of all the other fish in it). If you absolutely must keep one, you could probably put it in the pond, but ONLY ONE. If you keep 2 and they end up being a pair and breed, they will try to kill all the other fish.

Your electric yellow and 2 plecos won't be able to live in a 10 gallon and your electric yellow isn't really compatible with any of your other fish so I recommend getting rid of it. The plecos, you could probably put in the pond or get rid of.

I recommend separating your male & female bettas since a lot of times males & females will end up killing eachother. Maybe put a divider in the 5 gallon and let them share it. Or give them each a 1 gallon. 2 - 3 gallons each would be better, but they can survive in 1 gallons given that you keep up with the water changes.

And I have no idea about the space requirements for the turtles so I can't give any advice on that.

-Chelle

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

t_chelle16's advice is right on the money. If you care about your fish you will follow it.

With regards to your clown loach question I saw in another thread: They max out at 1 foot long and prefer to be in groups of six or more. They also need many caves to hide in.

How in the world did you buy this many fish without researching their potential size first? I'm sorry but this is just mind boggling to me and after all the advice you've been given you still seem reluctant to part with your fish. Why? You might try advertising them in the paper and at least you could sell them to someone else. Or there is always www.aquabid.com .

10. christianwalker

well I bought them all before even knowing about this site and now I have a friend that has a 2,500 gallon fish aquarium with heat and filter and gravel and etc. in his garage should I give them to him

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Do you know the dimensions of the tank?

I would do one of two things.

You can give him the fish in the pool (that way you wouldn't have to worry abou them having problems surviving the winter). And maybe even the iridescent shark & clown knife.

Or you can give him the fish that I said you should get rid of (except the electric yellow, he'd probably get eaten and the red tailed catfish, he'd eat all the other fish).

-Chelle

12. christianwalker

in the pool I am down to 2 pacus 1 texas cichlid 1 jack dempsey I lost 5 oscars and my clown knife and my tinfoil barb do you think the pacus are picking on them or birds maybe because my 1 oscar was bleeding near where the breathing gills are on the front left side now if I keep the 2 pacus will they survive the winter in the pool yes or no let me know

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

I bet it was birds. When I was a kid we used to have crawdads in a kiddie pool on our back deck and often we would loose them all to the birds and other critters. Maybe you can look into some kind of pool covering that's mesh like so it doesn't trap all the heat but will protect your fish.

I'm not sure where apple valley is, I though it was up in the foothills and if I'm right then your fish really haven't got a chance in the winter :(

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It could have been birds. Have there been any twigs or leaves that have gotten into the pool? I lost a goldfish a few weeks ago because my dad was cutting up a log with a chainsaw and got wood chips in the pond. The fish ate it thinking it was food and ended up tearing up his gills. Either way, a cover would be a good idea.

-Chelle

15. christianwalker

I live in the desert and I had no wood in the pool or anything but my oscars died all my fish died except for my 1 oscar and my 2 pacus are still living and the texas cichlid and jack dempsey are still living. but I brought my 1 oscar in the house that survived and left the othe fish in the pool

16. pacumanzxc

pacumanzxc New Member

17. christianwalker

can Dog Poop kill my fish

My dumb stupid crack head neighbours that are trouble makers have been throwing dog poop into my swimming pool that has my 2 pacus in it what can I do about this they complaining because the water is green and they say it is making them sick and they say the water stinks and it dont stink only the poop they throw over the fence but the owner is not doing anything about it they are trouble makers and the owner of the property believes them because he gets his drugs from them. can this kill my fish PLEASE HELP and let me know what to do in this situation.

18. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

call the cops would be my next move

19. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i agree with fish addict. they have no right to throw (poop) into your property. its againced the law and they are probable for arrest. so call them and see what they can do about it.

edited by kc5gvn. Nice try but, still too close in form.

20. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Another vote for calling the police.

-Chelle