1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

safe soft foods for mommy?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by ilovemycockatiels, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

okay I guess they weren't sent. I got a thing back saying it failed to send. I retyped your E-mail 4 times is there supposed to be a space and is there only 1? I can't get it right

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

i will email you then you can just reply and attach the pics to the return email..

3. ilovemycockatiels

ok thanks that works

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi very cute birds the eggs look like they could be fertile but i could be wrong as they were pretty close but i am almost sure they are as you can see what looks like a red tint in the egg

Mike

5. ilovemycockatiels

Thanks I think my male is the prettiest cockatiel I've seen, I thought my female was kind of ugly when I got her but she's grown on me. I love them both. I'm not sure about the eggs either but I hope they're fertile. Thanks for looking at them for me.

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

7. ilovemycockatiels

Those pictures did help me and it's kind of depressing. All the eggs that would have something by now look very infertile. I will candle them tonight if my female will come out of the box. I'm hoping maybe at least one of the last 3 or 4 laid will be fertile because like you said you had 8 was it? and only the last 3 laid were fertile. Hopefully I'll get lucky like that. Thanks for the links. I have a question can Parakeets have millet spray? It seems like they could but I want to be safe about it and make sure. Thanks again.

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i hope atleast one of the is fertile for you if not there is always next time.
    Mine has 5 eggs and they do not look fertile either but this is a new pair so will have to wait and see.

Yeah millet pray is safe for parakeets they seem to love it.

Mike

9. ilovemycockatiels

so how long has it been since incubation started for the 5 you have? It seems like it's been forever for mine but I don't see anything.

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

last egg was laid yesterday but there was a 3day gap between the 4th and 5th they do not look fertile plus they are not incubating correctly they both come out of the nest and the eggs go cold since they out for about 2hours before going back in so they will have caught a chill if they were fertile and have died i going to give them to another few days and recheck see whats going on.

But like i say i think they not fertile will have to wait and see as she has just started allowing the male to go into the nest box with her and sit on the eggs..

Mike

11. ilovemycockatiels

So How long can the female be out of the box before the eggs will die? I've never seen my female out for more than 10 mins. Can that be bad?

12. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

It takes about 30minutes before the eggs go cold if the are left any longer than that they get a chill usually resulting in the embryo if fertile dying.

10mins is fine as they usually come out of the nest for about 10-15mins a day to eat drink and poop

Mike

13. ilovemycockatiels

ok. Then if mine are even fertile they should be fine.

14. mchat

mchat New Member

Hi,
    I just thought that I would let everyone know that I have 3 healthy babies from 5 eggs. I had one attempt to hatch early and one that died in the egg due to an increase in heat when it should be cooling down. The babies are growing faster than they have before and I think this is due to the egg and biscuit mix and the fact that the parents are eating more of the fruit and veggies than seed. It looks like I'm going to get some different colours this time (I have a cinamon cock and a pied native hen and so far out of 5 babies there have been 4 pied native and one female cinamon).

Mel.

15. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi cnngratulations on the new arrivals.
    I find it strange don't know about you but birds that either do not eat vegtables or only eat small amounts eavt lots when they have chicks in the nest.

Good luck with the little ones and we want pictures :)
    Mike

16. ilovemycockatiels

Hey I took the eggs and nesting box away from my cockatiels because I still had no babies. When I broke them there was no sign of being fertile. Now my male is back to humping his food dish :) I don't know why he stopped for the time being but he is back to doing it. I probably won't be back on here with questions for a while but I might be if something goes wrong or I decide to breed my parakeets which I will probably do. But yeah it's kind of depressing but no babies. :( I guess maybe next time.

17. ilovemycockatiels

ok I guess I lied I do have more questions. :) I took the nesting box and eggs away day-before-yesterday and I guess my female already had an egg ready to be laid because not even 24 hours later (yesterday morning) there was an egg on the bars of the bottom of the cage. I put it in a bowl with corn cob hoping she won't lay another tomorrow because I just barely took her other clutch away. I don't know what to do. I am afraid if I take it away she would lay another to replace it and if I let her keep it she'll lay a whole new clutch which I know isn't healthy for her. Shoule I give her the nesting box back or what? I'm kind of worried about her. Let me know asap please. Thanks

18. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi her cycle is not finished so you can either just let her have them on the cage floor or give her the nestbox back and hope these ones are fertile chances are they could be.

Your not alone my eggs were not fertile either which was depressing.
    They can lay 2 clutches of eggs aslong as they have a break after the 2nd clutch so that she can replace her calcium and mineral levels.

Feed plenty of soft foods to as this will help also the egg food stuff i mentioned for handfeeding and weaning of chicks is also a good idea like i say this has everything in it that the birds need.
    If you do not want her to lay anymore eggs move her toys around stop all soft foods, reduce the amount of light they get a day they need 14hours of light to start breeding so if you reduce this to about 8-9 hours per day and cover there cage for the remaining this will usually stop them from breeding as they think its too cold and dark to raise chicks.

Mike

19. mchat

mchat New Member

Hi,
    Bummer about the eggs. I found that moving stuff around and removing soft foods didn't work when my female had a egg stuck and went under anestetic to remove it and she still laid another 2 eggs untill another breeder suggested covering the cage. I reduced the birds to about 6hrs of light a dayfor 4 days and that fixed it all. I don't understand why your male is humping the food dish as my pair are at it all the time but only lay eggs about 2 wks after the breeding box is put in.

Mel.

20. ilovemycockatiels

it's not that I don't want eggs but I was worried about her calcium. So I will just let her have her cycle, hopefully I will have fertile eggs this time. Iput the nesting box back in as soon as I got your reply and she did lay another egg today.