1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey everyone, I got a clownfish for my saltwater tank a few days ago and just wanted to share! Saltwater rocks but i dont see much about it on here.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, most everything here is about freshwater and i dont know why...my salt water collection includes a blenny of some kind, 2 damsles and a yellow tang....i am going to restock the tank soon though, b/c that is barely enoguh for a 50 gallon :p

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

Just exactly how many tanks do you have running now Obelix?

I remember your first post about wanting to get your five gallon running ok so that your parents would let you get a larger tank. I guess they must've caved for salt water huh :lol: How large is it???

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Alas, memories past. Actually right now I have as follow. Quite an upgrade from my very first 2 gallon with neons, which you tina actually posted in.

20 Gallon (Saltwater): 1 Clownfish
    10 Gallon: 6 White Clouds
    10 Gallon: 2 powerheads keeping premixed salt water on-hand
    5 Gallon: (not mine but i keep it going for my brother) 1 comet.

I know the 5 is overstocked but were in the midst of swapping out the goldfish for some guppies. grnlemonade, I think the term saltwater scares most people but i really love mine espically my clownfish.

EDIT: Also intresting I rember posting a saying thats come quite true: Fish keeping isn't a hobby, its an addiction.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Aw, I remember that too!

Please keep us posted on how things go with the 20, as I want to eventually turn mine into a saltwater too. I'm too scared though really, yikes those things are so expensive and delicate too!

What kind of equipment do you have? Lighting, protein skimmers, filters etc.? I was told on a saltwater forum that if I did my ten as a saltwater I wouldn't need a filter or anything, just live rock and live sand with powerheads. Is that kind of what you're doing? Do you have Fish only, Fish with live rock, or are you going for a nano reef setup?

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions but this is something I really want to try some day!

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Lol no problem, actually I use sand as a substrat but "live" sand is a very loose term and so far I havent fiddled with it since its supposed to be really tempermental. If you got enough live rock then with maby one fish you could get away with no filter but water changes would have to be heavier and more often. Mines fish-only except for a small ennmie (sp?) my clownfish likes it thats for sure. right now im still figureing everything out with saltwater but the big differnce is that the fish are alot less forgiving. Its debated but if you have an extra power head near the top then you dont need a protein skimmer depnding out your filter and how often you rince the media. Its a little more expensive but its easier to cycle and my clown fish survived really well through teh cycling. Im going to get some live rock soon since it removes nitrItes.

Also my equiptment is as follows:

Penguine 330 GPH H.O.B Filter
    Flosent lighting (2-3 watts per gallon is good for fish only)
    Heater (78 degrees)
    D.I.Y Protient Skimmer.
    Fake driftwood and decor.
    Hydrometer (measures salinity)

EDIT: Oh and stocking is a lot lighter, 1 inch to 5-8 gallons of water depending on density. LOL my brother was away when I bought the clownfish so when he got back he just looked at the tank and said "you got a nemo but you didnt get a dori" and was mad, id get a dory but blue tangs need more space then oscars so it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

7. M_wm

M_wm New Member

You should get a dog face puffer i saw one at petcetra! coolest salt water fish ever. Salt has some cool fish i have to say but im sticking with fresh water

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i remeber that to i don't think i posted but i remeber it

9. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Lol this one guy in the book im readin about saltwater said, "Saltwater fish seem to have more beauty then freshwater becuase man hasn't had enough time to screw with them yet" Either way I love mine, and I think the fish you mentioned gets a little big for a 20 gallon espically since you have to stock even more lightly with saltwater.

10. caj1968

caj1968 New Member

This is great reading. I have been thinking of going saltwater in time. I like when you guys discuss saltwater issues. I've read something about a Plenum? The way the book descripes it, I'm not sure if I can make one. Is there something else that you can purchase to get that "dead space" between the bottom of the tank and the substrate?
    caj1968

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

live rock

12. Obelix

Obelix New Member

If anyone needs any help with setting up a saltwater or anything like that feel free email me at: Novelist@Gmail.com Also I will be posting a guide on "Fish Addict"'s websites fourm so check that out, it should be up soon.

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

14. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

lol, saltwater has the most wonderful fish i have seen, the fish you see in your common lfs is nothing compaired to what other special places have! i saw this one i have never seen in my life before i cant find a pic of it but it looks like a platy stretched out with nicer longer fins, it was a cream purple. When all my freshwater fish are done im starting my saltwater tank.

15. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Is it really hard to maintain a saltwater tank, cause I met this guy at my lfs and he told me its quiet expensive start a good saltwater tank and you have to do routine weekly or biweekly water changes. Is maintaining a saltwater tank really hard? And can I see a pic of your tank?

16. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

congrats on the clownfish.

u can turn your 10gs in to saltwater. u can also get a couple more fish for your 20g. maybe 5 at the max. i know because i wanted to get a 20g and turn it into a SW tank but i couldnt get the money. i did a load of research on SW so if u have any problems let me know i can help.

17. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Yeah, they can be quite expencive at times, i still say that at the end of the day its all worth it.

18. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Do you have or had a saltwater tank?

19. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Okey to answer some questions, I converted my 20 Gallon freshwater to saltwater so setting all the expenses of a set-up freshwater I only spent about 50 more dollars to convert it to salt, NOT INCULDING live rock which is one of your primary filtertation systems and runs about 5 to 8 dollars a pound, for a 20 gallon you need about 8 pound so that does get expenive but you only add a pound or so a week until you get the disered amount. If you have any questions you should feel free to contact me via PM on the site or on yahoo and email.

Yahoo ID: sibsybcys
    AOL IM: littleman1622
    Email: Novelist@Gmail.com

20. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

well i have decided to convert my 25 brackish to marine and put some clown fish in it think it will be ok if i get a Anemone for it i am also going to have live rock in it