1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Shih-Tzu + Attempt to Potty Training = Failure....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by lostbunny, Nov 18, 2006.

1. lostbunny

lostbunny New Member

My 4 month hold female shih-tzu just can't seem to grasp the concept of potty training....I watch out for her to go to the bathroom but I can't seem to accomplish it.

And another thing...did shih-tzu ears smell bad naturally?

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

In reference to the ears, they shouldnt smell bad, if they do then you need to have your pup checked out by a vet.

As for the potty training, depending on where you got your pup could make a difference, pet shop pups or puppy mill/farm pups or pups confined to a small area all the time while they are younger can take a longer time to potty train....when they are confined to where they have to sleep, eat and potty in the same place then they treat this as normal behavior.

If this is not the case have you thought about crate training? You would need a size appropriate crate, most dogs wont urinate/defecate where they sleep (unless in cases of the above mentioned). A 4 month old pup wont be able to hold its bladder any longer than about 4 or 5 hours so if your sleeping or gone longer than that it isnt the pups fault, theyre just not physically capable of holding it any longer.

Make sure that you continue to watch for signs that your pup needs to go, usually its circling or pacing, suddenly being distracted from playing, waking up, shortly after eating/drinking a lot, take your pup outside on leash, use a command word(s) like "go potty" and wait until your pup has urinated/defecated just as the pup is finishing give tons of praise "good potty", give a very small food treat as well (I use chicken or roast beef usually).
    If you do catch your pup in the act then a stern NO, take the pup straight outside and give the command again.
    If your pup has already done it then dont scold the pup, they wont relate you being angry at having an accident inside so you are more likely to cause your pup to be nervous and even not trust you as much.

You have to be patient over this, dont get frustrated, pups arent born knowing this stuff, its up to us to teach them.

2 things to keep in mind:
    If you are not monitoring your pups every move then you could go on like this for a long time, you have to monitor the pup.
    Also if you do catch your pup in the act and take them outside by the time you get there your pup has probably forgotton what they came out for and it can take a little while for them to go again.....just be patient.

On a final note, if your pup does have an ear infection this could be hindering the house training.

Good luck

3. gypsy

gypsy New Member

What she sez. And, i might add........your pup is only 4 months old, and a little dog. Have patience. We have seen over and over with the poms that it takes 6 months before they are leakproof. If you are short on time, crate training will be a blessing for you. Otherwise.........take that pup out EVERY hour during the day, and definitely as soon as she wakes from a nap! Take her out before you go to bed, again during the night again about 6 am. Little dogs have little systems that don't hold much. Don't stress over this......she will live a looooooooooong time, but puppyhood is very short..........enjoy it whilst it lasts!
    Run, do not walk and get the ears fixed. You really don't want an infection/yeast or otherwise to get out of hand.

4. gypsy

gypsy New Member

What she sez. And, i might add........your pup is only 4 months old, and a little dog. Have patience. We have seen over and over with the poms that it takes 6 months before they are leakproof. If you are short on time, crate training will be a blessing for you. Otherwise.........take that pup out EVERY hour during the day, and definitely as soon as she wakes from a nap! Take her out before you go to bed, again during the night again about 6 am. Little dogs have little systems that don't hold much. Don't stress over this......she will live a looooooooooong time, but puppyhood is very short..........enjoy it whilst it lasts!
    Run, do not walk and get the ears fixed. You really don't want an infection/yeast or otherwise to get out of hand.

5. kristen41583

kristen41583 New Member

I have a shih tzu/yorkie Shorkie

My dog takes after a shih tzu more then the yorkie and he was a little hard to potty train too. SO thats when i decided to crate train. It worked really well. He has yet to have an accident in his crate. Every morning I take him outside around 8 to use the restroom. During the day when im not home I leave a little mat for him to relieve him self on and he does. When Im home he stands at the door when he needs to use the restroom.