1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping list for finches

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Okay, so I just bought a HUGE cage for my future finches. Please help me compile a shopping list for everything I need when I am ready to get my birds.

Food - what kind?
    Treats?
    Toys?
    What kind of water dishes and food dishes are best?
    Cuttle bone?
    Do I use newspaper for the tray under the bottom grill?
    Vitamins or supplements?
    Nests? (I don't want to breed)
    Cage cover?

Can I put canaries with finches?

What else do I need?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi jamiya.

Food - what kind? A good quality finch mix.

Treats? Finch's dont usually eat treats but they do love apple.

Toys? A mirror or bell as they do not really play with toys since they can not climb around them because they are known as soft bills.

What kind of water dishes and food dishes are best? I use normal seed dishes that hook over the bars of the cages for food and a water drinker bottle for water, But wherever you get your birds see what they are using as this is what the birds will be used to.

Cuttle bone? They do not really need it but it can be placed in the cage along with grit or oystershell.

Do I use newspaper for the tray under the bottom grill? Newspaper is fine aslong as its black and white and has not colour in it as the coloured ink is toxic to birds.

Vitamins or supplements? If fed a good quality diet they do not need supplements.

Nests? (I don't want to breed) You can either give them a nest or not but the introduction of a nest usually results in egg laying within 72hours.

Cage cover? You can use one if the room they are kept in gets cold during the night otherwise finch's are quite hardy birds they can tolerate the cold but if caught in a draught they can die suddenly.

Can I put canaries with finches? I would not my friend was told its safe to put canries and finch's together and one of her finch's and a canary fought each other and both died they can be very territorial.

Hope this has helped you.

Mike

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Thanks, Mike! If I don't get them a nest, do they sleep on perches? Does it matter if the food and water dishes are plastic, ceramic, or stainless steel? Do finches like to take baths?

I am letting the dogs and cats get used to the presence of the new cage and satisfy their curiosity about it before there are scared little birds inside. Then I think I am going to start with a pair of zebras and see how it goes. If all goes well, I will add more finches. If the dogs and cats can't adjust and I feel the birds are not safe, I will get a smaller cage and move the pair to a bedroom and I'll just have to wait a few more years to get birds.

I really considered cockatiels, but in all honesty I didn't think they would get enough out of cage time in our current situation.

I am thinking of looking into parakeets and any other similar-sized bird just to make sure finches are the right choice.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HIya no it does not matter what type of dishes you use aslong as there is food in it they will use it lol.

If they do not have a nest they will sleep on there perches but some finch's like mine sleep in there food dish..

Finch's are so quit you will find your cats and dogs will not really notice them.
    Parrakeetts are a little more noisy and the cats would love them lol

Mike

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I went to stare at the birds in PetsMart today while I was there replacing the toys Nala has destroyed. They had this lovely Rose-Breasted Cockatoo that was trying to sleep. His enclosure was up high so the dogs didn't notice him at first. Then he moved and Nala's head snapped up and looked straight at him. He looked back at her and didn't seem to like her - he raised his crest up high and made a discontented sound at her, which made Bonnie notice him. Bonnie's ears flew straight up in the air. It was pretty funny. I took the dogs away at that point so the poor bird could get some sleep.

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Cockatoo's are such beautiful birds but can be the most aggressive of the parrot family since they do not crave human attention they prefer to be on there own and only like being handled when they want attention otherwise a nasty bites comes from an upset cockatoo.

I would love one but with having step daughter and my baby brother comes to visit they are not the ideal bird.

Hopefully the cats and dogs will get on really well with the finch's especially since they usually go very quiet and still if they feel threatened.

Mike

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I just hope they don't get too stressed out. I want to get the birds from a breeder but a possible benefit to the pet store birds is they are used to a lot of chaos and animals in their environment. Which way do you think is better to go?

I am getting the birds in two weeks when I will be working from home for a week during spring break. That way I can supervise everyone and make sure the birds are okay before I leave everyone alone all day.

I am also working on making sure the bird cage is inaccessible to the cats when we are not home (the dogs are easier). Maybe I should surround them with a hot wire fence like they use for horses. (kidding!!)

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

From a breeder the only choas they will be used to is the breeder going in and out.

If you decide to purchase from a petstore the things to look for in healthy birds.

There eyes are bright and clear with no signs of any discharge.
    There feathers are in good conition no damaged feathers.
    The poop in the cage is not watery or funny looking it should be a gren and white colour sometimes it can lookl ike little worms and cream coloured this is due to there diet but they do not have worms.
    They should not be sat fluffed up either on the cage floor or perch.
    The pet store should also have the males and females caged seperately as chance of you getting home and her laying a fertile egg on the cage floor is high.

They should be chirpy hopping from perch to perch and generally look like they enjoying themselves.

Also observe there cage a clean cage, clean food and water bowls indicates a clean store and healthy birds.

When i go into a petstore i usually check all animal cages from mice to parrots any sign of neglect in any of the cages or animals i bring it to the shop owners attention and will not purchase from them.

You may find not all shop owners know the first thing about the animals they sell but they usually know of breeders in the are that can help if you have any questions.

Good luck and hopefully things will go smoothly.

Mike.

P.S The hotwire idea sounds good lol

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Gah! I went into a pet store today that I usually don't go in because they sell puppies. I have also seen mice that were very unhealthy there. But they have a huge variety of finches and I just wanted to see some of the different kinds in person, so in I went. I didn't say anything to anyone because I didn't want them to try to "hide the evidence" and get rid of animals, but their birds did NOT look healthy at all! Many had feathers missing or sticking out at odd angles. Many cages had birds fluffed up on their perches. The cages were way too small. There was a strawberry finch that I think was all alone in its cage, and it looked like a pin cushion with feathers sticking up all over the place. There was one zebra with NO feathers AT ALL on his neck. The bigger birds seemed to be in better shape, although the cockatiels seemed to have dirty tail feathers IMO.

Who do I call to get this place inspected??

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

That sounds awful there is no need for them to have to live in such horrid conditions.

You can call your normal animal control and they will take it from there.
    Over here in the uk petshops can lose there trading licence if any animals are seen to be either suffering or in poor living conditions.

I would love to make people that are cruel to animals had the same treatment see if they liked it ooog they make me so mad.

Mike