1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

some quick questions

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jacksmommy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

oh oh oh! I just thought of another title! "Fear & Loathing in LabVegas"!

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Sargesmom: you should team up with Dukesdad. :lol:

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Viva Lab Vegas! :eek:

4. Maisey

Maisey New Member

LMAO you guys!
    Sarges mom, If and when I ever learn how to get my dogs to clean up their own shredded delights and put away their toys....I will be charging for advice at that point.

As for Stay...you said he knows lay down and stay, so whatever you are doing to get him to stay while laying down, build on. I use an open hand in front of my dogs faces while saying "stay". In the beginning I would ask for a down or sit and leave my hand over the top of their shoulders, if they started to break the stay I would let my hand rest on the shoulder reminding them "stay". I taught my dogs a release word, I use "OK", once I give a command...lets say sit, they should hold that until they hear me say OK. I can now show my stay command from across the yard or arena and they will stay. (Witt still breaks it on occasion) I think timing is everything, the "good boy" has to be delivered at the exact moment he has done well so he understands what thing it was that you wanted and that he did it. In addition it's important to start small, don't ask for a two minute down stay right off the bat. Release him BEFORE he breaks it. If you watch him, you can tell when he is going to. Set him up for success and reward reward reward. If you are not embarrassed to verbally reward your dog in front of other people....you are not being exhuberant enough! I don't think you said how old Sarge is, but some breeds mature slower than others and depending on his age and level...you will have to adjust what you ask and expect from him. Above all else..practice daily and know that every moment you spend with or around your dog ...IS training. Consistency, patience and practice.

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Maisey- Thanks alot! Actually Sarge has learned lay down, but NOT the stay part! When I tell him to come here, he comes over to me and immediately sits at my feet. He is approx. 16 weeks (He is German Shepherd Lab mix with not a single distinguishing Lab feature!)

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Stand right next to him and tell him stay. Look up at the ceiling, whistle a tune, something... Then tell hime "Okay!" or whatever you want your release word to be and treat him. He will have no idea what he did, but he will figure it out!

When he is staying with you standing right next to him (keep increasing the time - start with a few seconds and work up to a minute or so), then try moving around him - like circle him. If he can't do it, take it one step at a time. Take a step, then step back, release, reward. Repeat. When you can get all the way around him without him moving, then take a step away from him. Gradually increase the distance. When you increase distance, you decrease time and gradually build time back up.

Finally, add distractions. When you add distractions, decrease both distance and time - like, stand right next to him and tell him to stay, and throw a ball or have your husband walk or run by, etc. Start with little distractions and work up. Then add distance and time back in.

It's a giant, long process. I still have not done it adequately with Nala. *sigh*

Jamiya

7. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Thanks Jamiya- I will start it tonight. Just hope I don't get too dizzy and pass out. Sarge would have field day with licking my feet while I was unconscience!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I started last night with Bonnie. She's harder than Nala was, because she has to stand on my feet at all times. I think I finally got her to understand what I wanted, at least a little bit. I could take about 2 steps to the side of her and come back. Once I did manage to get all the way around, but I think it was a fluke. She gets very nervous and twitchy trying to stay still when I am moving away from her, so I was told to NOT move away, but circle around her. I also tried stepping on a leash with one foot and stepping away with the other, but that wasn't working out well.

Jamiya

9. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

:eek: :eek:
    OMG I took Max to petsmart training (was ok) but my dog was the only dog that was not a lab there were three black labs and one yellow, the one black lab was so excited all the time he would urinate all the time, he was not good in class but the yellow lab duke was so good w/everyone and he was huge my dog was 8lbs and they were all 50-75 it was cute though. They trainer had said that usually labs are very high strung puppies. In my class the labs did well so did Max though but if that is the training you are going to I will guarantee that you will not have the only lab..... :0023:

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

There was a lab in our puppy class as well. Giant, goofy thing. I remember him wrapping the instructor up in a long line when she was trying to teach come. He got so excited he just kept running around and around her legs, LMAO!!

Jamiya

11. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Jamiya you nailed it. Labs are indeed goofy. Not so though the well trained field dogs. They are all business and concentration. I sort of feel sorry for them though because they don't seem to enjoy life like the party dogs do. The other day a man had his field dog at the dog park doing training exercises. That dog was sitting, eyes riveted to the man, waiting for a command. He was totally oblivious to Duke who was leaping around him in circles saying whoo whoo whoo whoppee lets go play whee whee whee yipee lets play lets play. Duke finally ran off with another party animal leaving the poor field dog to his work.

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Thats what I love most about Smokey, He knows when its work time. He's stright forward and serious. But as soon as he's home, He's the biggest Goofball you've ever seen!!!!

WE had a lab growing up, dumbest dog we ever had. You couldn't teach him anything other than Time to eat!

13. Maisey

Maisey New Member

16 WEEKS! Oh lord, he is still just a baby. Labs mature very slowly, I suggest you by some Calgon, scented candles and ear plugs so you can destress daily. Patience and consistency are your best tools. Breaking things down into small steps and then adding them together will help your pup get the idea faster. Once he has the idea of the task...repeat repeat repeat. Practice, make it fun and make sure your sense of humor is turned on and up!
    Witt is I think 18 months old now and he still doesn't hold a stay all the time. We practice every day but he is still a puppy...even at almost 2.

14. Jacksmommy

Jacksmommy New Member

just wanted to say thanks!!

Thanks Everyone for all the advice, tips, and laughs!!! Jack is certainly a goofball!! I have been working with him for the leave it command. I put him in a downstay and put a peice of kibble in front of him and when he goes to sniff it I say leave it and he does. I use the ok command to release him and let him eat the dog food and tell him what a good boy he is and good leave it. After doing that for a bit I decided to try it but leave the room and come back. He actually left it!! I gave him a peice of cheese for that and praised him.

He still likes to steal my daughters toys but I have been watching him like a hawk and when he goes to grab a toy I say LEAVE IT! and he does. So I prase him. Of course he still takes things, like my placemats, but I do not chase him anymore. I call him to me in an excited tone and take the item out of his mouth and replace it with his nylabone. I am sure it will be a long process but I love working with him so hopefully in time he will get it!!!

Thanks again for your responses!!
    Jacksmommy :lol:

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wonderful! It sounds like you are right on track and Jack is a very good boy!

A good thing about Labs is that despite being large hyper goofballs, they generally LOVE to please their people. This makes training go a lot more smoothly.

Jamiya