1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Something is wrong with Eve...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Angie, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Angie

Angie New Member

She was fine and then yesterday morning it was like she couldnt get up.
    Then my brother let the other dogs out and she jumped up and went outside with them like nothing was wrong.
    Then she sat down by the steps and couldnt get up, my brother picked her up and took her inside.
    They took her to the vet and the vet found nothing wrong. Even though she wasn't acting herself.
    So went home and still acting funny and like she couldnt move her legs and her gums starting looking white.

Took her back to the vet and they kept her overnight to do blood work.

Have to call around 4

Anybody heard of these symptoms before?
    :(

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Poor Eve. I dont know, I hope th bloodwork shows something, could she have gotten into anything, like a poison maybe, or eaten something she shouldnt have. It sounds like some sort paaralysis occuring, please let us know what you find out

honeybear

3. Angie

Angie New Member

My brother talked to them this morning and said that she is acting normal.
    But how do they know normal? Eve is a very hyper dog, she is always on the go and always goes in circles really fast because she is blind. She always wants to play and wants attention and barks and jumps.
    So to them ...Eve acting normal (like any other dog)...WOULDN"T be normal. Because she doesn't act like that. Shes different.

They also said that she didnt want to eat but thats only because she is used to eating around 4:30 everyday. Thats when she normally eats everyday.

But my brother's girlfriend told me that yesterday, Eve didn't want a treat. Which is not normal.

I just hope they can fix whatever is wrong with her and that its nothing serious.

4. yogi

yogi New Member

white gums is an

issue. If you or your brother put your finger against them and they turn whiter may be ok but if the original color does not come back quickly from my experience it is a poison issue. I have gone thru this with my late shep/husky and 2 of my MinPins. That was the first thing that my vets have always done. With regards to the way she is acting, that is exactly the same as my 3 which were also very active. Blood work should show this.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Yogi I think some of your post got cut off there :? If your talking about the gum colour, the pale colour is also a sign of shock and can be pain related. Some poisons make the gums a brick red colour.

6. yogi

yogi New Member

first thing taught when

Niki had digested poison was to check her gums. Depress to and see how long it took for the natural color to come back. Vet instructed this over the phone. Her gums were pale at that time and when I pressed against and held for a second to release it took longer than normal for even the pale color to return. He stated that Poison in the system and the fact that she was lethargic when that was not her normal attitude led him to first believe she had ingested poison. We took her in, they gave her charcoal and she threw up several times. As it turned out she had some how got ahold of a box of d-con. Most poisons if ingested work into the blood stream and that is what the vet was looking for by having me check the gums. He only had me do this once I explained her attitude and how she was acting.

7. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I wasnt disputing what you said, just adding to it.

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

If Niki ate d-con, she was hemorrhaging and that's why her gums blanched. D-con is an anti-coagulant and the bleeding is what kills the rats.

Just a thought Angie, but have you checked Eve for ticks? I think they can cause a type of reversible paralysis....but just an idea. Zoey was acting real funny like this once and she had a huge fireant bite on one of her back legs that the vet never found. I found it $50 later, touched it--it popped and she was fine. But anytime one of my doxies show lameness, I panic.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. Do let us know what the bloodwork shows.

9. Angie

Angie New Member

Thanks for all your replys.

I went with my brother to pick Eve up yesterday and the vet said that the blood work is all normal. There are two things that were a little bit high but nothing really to worry about. He said that the two things that were high could mean an inflammatory (sp?) infection or he said something about cancer. But the way he was talking like it wasn't anything to worry about.

When we got there Eve was acting like herself but she wouldn't eat her treats. I said well maybe its because she is around all these people and dogs that she doesn't know. Sure enough, 2 mins after we got in the truck I gave her a treat and she ate it. ..... She ate several of them! lol

So as of right now she is ok and he said if she starts acting like that again then maybe he should get some kind of muscle test done where they take a piece of muscle and send it to LSU for testing.

Also..while Eve was there the first time, my brother asked him why she was blind ...
    When he checked her out and her eyes he said that she doesn't have a ....(I can't remember what its called :-/ ) He said it never developed. She has the veins there but they are not connected to the (whatever it was) that didn't develop.

10. Angie

Angie New Member

Oh, he also said that she doesn't have heart worms. They checked for that and checked her physically and blood work.

I will tell my brother to check her for a tick (as Coppersmom was saying) anyway even though shes an inside dog.
    I haven't seen any ticks around here before. None of his dogs ever had one. The vet looked her over but it doesn't hurt to check twice.

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Glad shes feeling better.

12. Angie

Angie New Member

thanks... BUT...

My brother's girlfriend came in to work today and said that Eve is acting funny again.
    Like she couldn't get up.. her legs were shaking.
    But she did eat her food yesterday.

I don't know what hes going to do.
    :(

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am sorry to hear about Eve.
    I was wondering because she is blind could it be a neurological problem that she has always had but just starting to show itself now.

She could be having some sort of mild seizure, Just my thoughts on the matter.

I do hope she makes a recovery and gets back to her normal hyper self, There is nothing worse than knowing your pet has something wrong but not being able to find out what it is.

Keep us posted of her progress.
    Mike

14. Angie

Angie New Member

That would be a good explination. I will tell my brother to ask the vet.
    Thanks.

15. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sorry to hear that :(
    Did the vet include a thyroid and electrolytes panel in the blood tests?

First I was thinking maybe an allergic reaction to a bug bite or something, they can cause symptoms that youve described, be short lived and re-occur if you dont know what the bite (or sting) was from and it happens again.

Im just curious, has your vet ruled out Addisons Disease? Im just asking as one of my dogs a few years ago showed similar symptoms to what you describe although she was also having minor seizures with it and Addisons was something the vet wanted to rule out, although it turned out (we think) to be some kind of poisoning that stopped after we moved from the house we were in.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Maybe it is just an allergic reaction to something. Keep us updated.

16. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I just got a pet newsletter in hte mail yesterday and ther was an article about ticks, and diseases, one is lyme disease that it said can cause sudden lameness and loss of appetite.

honeybear

17. Angie

Angie New Member

I wrote down everyones ideas of what it could be and I will get my brother to ask the vet about them...

ticks (lyme disease)
    Addison's disease
    Neurological problem?
    hip dysplsia
    and I will tell him to ask about the thyroid and electrolytes panel...(?)

if I missed any, please let me know!

Thanks...

18. Angie

Angie New Member

My brother's girlfriend told me that she was doing it again yesterday morning...
    I went over there during the day and she was fine...being her same old self...
    I called my brother last night to see how she was doing and he said that she was fine this morning and so I told him what his gf said and he said that she got up fine when he called her.
    So Im not really sure what happened.
    But I am going to ask her when I see her in about and hour.

19. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Just a thought Angie, from what Charmedagain said earlier about the seizures, ask your brother or his girlfriend if right when shes doing this what are her eyes like....do they seem 'spacey' 'unfocused' and if they speak to her does she respond? if they stand at the side of her does she turn around to look at them, if they snap their fingers does it get her attention?. Is she a bit uncoordinated once she gets up, seem aware/unaware of her surroundings?.

20. Angie

Angie New Member

Eve is blind. Her eyes are black. There is just a little white around them.
    And she did say the veins were more red.
    Yes she responded, wagged tail, moved head, and tried to get up but couldn't.
    It was like she was scared or just couldn't do it.
    It seems like the front legs.

The vet tested her muscle strength (pulled on her legs) and said that he put extra tension on her legs and saw no sign of muscle weakness.

Eve was fine this morning.
    They also checked her for a tick but didn't find anything.