1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a Kennel. What should I know...

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Rice and Gravy, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

I was nervous, really nervous and I've showed before, just not ADBA...quite different from some of the other shows... I was pretty stressed and didn't do a ton to get River ready for the show... I didn't speak much either...next show I WILL speak and hopefully gather courage to talk to a judge or two...maybe...

Sara

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

3. Rice and Gravy

Rice and Gravy New Member

Thanks True for the show information. Coldwater is a nice drive for me, but I really have a desire to put my boy in competition against other quality dogs.

I'll be there.

I noticed that the flyer read "AADR paperwork required". I'll have to call one of the contact numbers to get clarification.

Sara, why so nervous? Is showing for the first time (at a ADBA sanctioned show) that overwhelming? Any tips for preparation? Things to look for while there?

True and others, feel free to chime in...

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Cool, let us know how it goes and share plenty of pics!!! You need your registration certificate, you will need this at the ADBA show also. You need that and you will have to fill out a show registration form with his info on it (the same one that they use to preregister you will fill out there)

AADR allows you to register your dog with them at the show for only $5, regularly it is $15. You can call them up to be sure. You will want to bring your ADBA stuff with you to that show also fill out for the AADR stuff.

I don't think ADBA is that bad, its a lot more easy going and not so uptight as other shows. But its natural (to most people) to be nervous doing something for the first time. One thing Sara mentioned to me is she thought it'd be like the other shows she went to, where people were careless with their dogs but with Pit Bulls which would just spell disaster. But I'll let her answer for herself. I'm sure she can give you a some good insight.

For prep, conditioning is important but not most important, its good to have a dog in nice shape, so that takes some work/preparing. A bath to get his coat looking nice, clean and shiny. Nail trimming of course, if needed. "1 flat buckle collar, I prefer black as it doesn't distraction from the dog. Pay attention is always good. When they call you to holding you want to be there promptly. Don't be so worried about how your dog is behaving, its best to be relaxed so the dog doesn't stress out with you. Its his 1st show and you want him to like it. Also don't worry so much when the judge is looking at the other dogs, its ok to let him relax a bit, then when its your turn stack him up. You will have to show teeth and walk also, so be prepared for that. You may want to practice on showing his teeth now so that he will be used to it, a lot of dogs are not used to you pulling and moving around their gums if you don't do it all the time. They might try to paw you off or lick or whatever.

Not really sure about things to look for. There will probably be several venders there if you need any doggie stuff, might even be a weight pull harness vender if you are still interested in the pulling. There are will be certainly a lot of breeders there to speak to, most people are pretty friendly and willing to answer questions. You can check out their dogs and their dogs pedigree and such. You can also talk to the judge about your dog and ask any questions at the end of the show. Some of them I pretty well and really enjoy talking to as they have so much knowledge and information on the breed. So if they are at a show as a spectator and not judging its great to converse.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

True pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was most worried about that many pits in one area. I'd only ever shown IABCA which is the only international titling you can get so there are A LOT of dogs even out here in the middle of nowhere. At the IABCA shows they usually have three shows going on all at once and in one big building...IN that same building there's at least half of the competing dogs in crates and whatnot...you know on TV where they walk around in the back and they've got people everywhere with blow dryers and whatnot...that's exactly how the IABCA shows are...and for some odd reason those people, when handling their dogs from one ring to another or what have you...they just have them on the end of the lead oblivious to their surroundings. At that time I was showing my Boerboels, a guardian breed. The dogs were ultimately stressed (thousands of people and other dogs to potentially protect against) so it was often that I'd have to put my dog in a headlock because dogs and people were coming at him and he was on edge.

I took that above scenario and instead of Golden Retrievers or Great Danes all dogs were pits...I knew deep down inside that that wasn't going ot be the case at the ADBA show but since the only experience I'd ever really had was that kind...well...you can see how it could be nerve racking.

True, I plan to have a crate dolly (or similar) by the August IABCA show to put the dog crates on and just cart them from one show ring to the other. I could just carry Bella around I'm sure but not River.

The ADBA show turned out to be soooo much easier to deal with and much calmer. Also if you had a dog lunge and bark or something...everyone didn't stare at you or your dog as though you were both the anti-christ. IABCA people would stare in shock any time my dog erupted in his crate. Usually that's because people would walk up to it, waiting for a show in the nearby ring to start and lean against the crate...dog in tow. Inevitably my male Boerboel would bark and snarl and his crate would shake around...I found it amusing but boy most of those other show folks didn't. Idiots really. WAY too much stress on the dogs too.

Sara

6. Bully Source

Bully Source New Member

Check out this site bullysource.com

you can learn alot of useful information from others!