1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Stock a 20 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, May 19, 2005.

1. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

I certainly wouldn't put the crayfish with the bichir. They are both bottom dwellers. The bichir would be too slow to escape the crayfish.

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

So what can I put with these things so that they are not in conflict with anything? Maybe I should just give up with wanting one!

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Now, I am now going to change the setup cause I don't think all the fish will look good in it. Now the tank is decorated white a fine white gravel thing, with white, beige and blue decorations. So now the setup is: about 3 male guppies, 3 ghost shrimp, 3 pygmy cories, 5 neon tetras and 1 dwarf gourami.

Is this alright? Or should I add or take away some?
    Can I have 1 sparkling gourami.

Thank you!

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Gouramis act kind of like oscars, they dont do well in pairs cuz then the weaker one gets picked on, u need groups of 5 or high if u wana keep more then 1 gourami. I think ur tank sounds good, nice set up, maybe add a molly or something,

In my 20 gal i got:
    well just read my signature.
    (In mine i am at maximum stock)

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I just added the sparkling gourami because I want to add more fish, but I don't know which kingd, and secondly I don't know if I would like the dwarf gourami cause they don't seem to have as much individualism or any very distinct personality as people say, I could be wrong, I have not owned one yet, but they seem that way in the pet store.

6. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

I have two Dwarf Gouramis, both male, and they both must be next to each other at all times, they've also befriended my newt. I know this sounds crazy but I swear I've seen the newt riding on one of their backs. They're very active. I enjoy them alot and would recommend them.

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Alright, I am going to change my stocking again. This time I am going to do it with a combination of species and different colors. I thing for sure is that I am going to have neon tetras, next, I am going to have some pygmy cories, then I am going to have s mix of mollies, platies and guppies, then I am going to have about 3 or 4 ghost shrimp and then I am going to have either a sparkling, dwarf, gold or blue gourami or I am going to have an angel in there. So how does that sound, hopefully that will not cause the tank to seem washed out due to the choice of the white substrate. I choose to have some white mollies to blend with the substrate and then some black mollies to to even it all out then some blue guppies to go with the blue shells and some really bright sunset platies cause they are really brightly colored. However, I don't know how I am going to work this all out. I am thinking the following:

3 neon tetras
    3 ghost shrimp
    3 pygmy cories
    1 black molly
    1 white molly or platy
    1 ballon molly
    2 sunset platies
    2 neon blue or something with blue male guppies
    1 angel or gourami

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Your previous stocking list sounded better. I would stick with the dwarf gourami because it won't get as big. That will be easier on the bioload and they will be less likely/able to hurt the smaller fish like the pygmy cories. I think an angel would be too much with all the other fish. And 3 is okay for neons, but more would be better.

If it were me, I'd go with:

5 neons
    1 dwarf gourami
    3 or 4 ghost shrimp (I don't think they add much bioload)
    3 or 4 pygmy cories
    4 or 5 of some combo of mollies/platies/guppies

I have white sand in two of my tanks and I don't think it makes any of my fish look washed out. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can post some pics of my pygmy cories, dwarf gourami, and neons.

-Chelle

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

K, what if I chose to get only 3 neons, 3 cories, and 3 ghost shrimp, could I then add one more molly, platy or guppy? My first list was alright, but I wanted to add more fish and more color to make my tank look better. Also, could I still have to blue gourami, since I am not too fond of the dwarf gouramis.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You're going to have to cut out a few other fish and really watch for aggression if you go with the blue gourami. They get 6" vs the 2" of the dwarf gourami.

-Chelle

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Or what I can do I guess is buy both and try to see if the blue gourami gets along well with the other fish and if he does, I just have to worry about maintaining my bioload. If not then I will just put him in the tank with my senegal bichir and put the dwarf there.