1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

stopping the pup from showiing domiance over my daughter.

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by rowdiebrindlepit, Jan 27, 2006.

1. rowdiebrindlepit

rowdiebrindlepit New Member

I am just wondering how i can stop my puppy from showing dominance over the baby, he hasnt been mean to her but when she gets going and gets hyper she tends to jump on him and pull his ears and tail and so on and so on. she is 17months old and i cant seem to get her to stop. I just dont wanna haveto get rid of him because he is being mean to her or anything like that. i dont even know if he will but i dont want it to start. when i think he is gonna do something bad to her i always stop him and make him let her pet him or what ever it is she is wanting to do at that time.

2. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

You need to stop your daughter from doing that to the pup.

Control and watch them both of them together.

"When kids are taught dog manners - and grown-ups keep an eye on kids and dogs - the day can end just the way it should. With happy kids, happy dogs, and no dog bites"!

3. rowdiebrindlepit

rowdiebrindlepit New Member

Easier said than done, i dont know if you have children but i have 3 and if i had to watch all of them every minute of every day I would need 3 pairs of eyes. Shit even watching the baby i would need three pairs of eyes. I know that I should not let her do mean things to the dog and believe me when i say that every time i see her do something mean i correct her. But it dosent work all the time because she thinks she is playing with him and she dosent know any better because to her when he screams or growls and runs off it is like a game to her. He has learned that when he sees her coming he will get away as fast as possible but he isnt always succesfull. I just want to know how to teach him that defending himselfe against her isnt acceptable because i would hate to have to stick him in the yard on a chain or something like that.

4. MyPetTherapyDog

Yes, I actually have three children. They are older now ages 24, 21 and 18. Yes, myself and my husband always had dogs while our children were growing up and I realize it is a difficult task.
    Honestly, though, you can't teach your daughter it is acceptable to do what she is doing to the dog.
    It is not ok. If your daughter is acting up and you can't control her ~ try placing the dog in the crate. Let both calm down. Then take your daughter to sit on the couch calmly. At this point, once your daughter has calmed down then take the pup out of the crate for her to politely pet him and teach your daughter "DO NICE" with the pup. If she acts up correct her. End of her spending time with the puppy.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but as a parent it is your number one duty and priority to protect your daughter from potential danger of any kind. Until a child is old enough to have learned dog manners, and has actually learned them, you DO NOT allow that child unsupervised access to a dog. Any dog, regardless of breed or temperment.

Dogs are dogs. They are not little kids in dog suits. They don't think like humans, and they don't react like humans. A dog might react to a cheeky child by correcting him/her the same way he'd correct a cheeky puppy. The difference being the child could end up in the ER getting stitches and plastic surgery.

Dogs like Pit Bulls may not be any more aggressive than a Chihuahua. A lot of them are less aggressive than a Chihuahua. But the potential for damage is MUCH greater with a Pit Bull because of their size, strength, and the power of their bite. A Chihuahua bite might require a stitch. A Pit Bull bite could require multiple surgeries to correct the damage.

70% of dog bites to children are on the face. I've been bitten in the face, and it's no fun. The scars can last a lifetime, even with the best plastic surgery. You do not want this to happen to your daughter.

Yes, I have children. I also have dogs. When my girls were babies I had two Bull Terriers, and they were never allowed to play with the dogs unless someone was sitting there with them to supervise their play. If that wasn't possible, the children and the dogs were seperated.

Your daughter must learn that no means no, and that dogs must be respected as living, feeling beings. Until that happens, it's your responsibility to protect her from herself and any danger. You are the parent, and you are the dog owner. It's up to you and your wife to either supervise or seperate until your daughter is old enough to treat the dog with respect. Otherwise irrepairable damage could be done to your daughter, your dog could end up losing his life, and you could find yourself facing charges of child endangerment.

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but as a parent it is your number one duty and priority to protect your daughter from potential danger of any kind. Until a child is old enough to have learned dog manners, and has actually learned them, you DO NOT allow that child unsupervised access to a dog. Any dog, regardless of breed or temperment.

Dogs are dogs. They are not little kids in dog suits. They don't think like humans, and they don't react like humans. A dog might react to a cheeky child by correcting him/her the same way he'd correct a cheeky puppy. The difference being the child could end up in the ER getting stitches and plastic surgery.

Dogs like Pit Bulls may not be any more aggressive than a Chihuahua. A lot of them are less aggressive than a Chihuahua. But the potential for damage is MUCH greater with a Pit Bull because of their size, strength, and the power of their bite. A Chihuahua bite might require a stitch. A Pit Bull bite could require multiple surgeries to correct the damage.

70% of dog bites to children are on the face. I've been bitten in the face, and it's no fun. The scars can last a lifetime, even with the best plastic surgery. You do not want this to happen to your daughter.

Yes, I have children. I also have dogs. When my girls were babies I had two Bull Terriers, and they were never allowed to play with the dogs unless someone was sitting there with them to supervise their play. If that wasn't possible, the children and the dogs were seperated.

Your daughter must learn that no means no, and that dogs must be respected as living, feeling beings. Until that happens, it's your responsibility to protect her from herself and any danger. You are the parent, and you are the dog owner. It's up to you and your wife to either supervise or seperate until your daughter is old enough to treat the dog with respect. Otherwise irrepairable damage could be done to your daughter, your dog could end up losing his life, and you could find yourself facing charges of child endangerment.

7. someday

someday New Member

I don't know why you'd get blasted...that is excellent advice and very true.

8. MyPetTherapyDog

Yes Shine! VERY VERY GOOD POST!!!!!
    Well Said!

9. Suz

Suz New Member

Children and dogs relating

What is wrong with the younger generation :roll: . We had two children that were ten months apart and a third a couple of years later, plus raised various nieces and nephews. Dogs, cats and birds. Yes, my house was clean, you can have pets and children and keep a clean house too, it just takes work. About the dogs and babies..you do the same thing if a child or baby pulls a dogs tail or ears as you would do if they hurt another child or baby. Now hold on! You 'pop' the child on the hand and physically remove the child from is, saying NO NO firmly. I don't mean beat them. I mean a few good pops, and some very firm NO NO's. Then take the baby BACK to the dog and holding their hand show them how to 'rub' the top of the dogs head or back. Believe me, once or twice and you have much less to worry about. Chlidren do not know how to pet animals..they have to be SHOWN. My youngest daughter would crawl (yes she was crawling!) up to our dog and reach out to grab a tail or ear and even attempt to bite it..and after a few times of 'popping hands' all I would have to do was clap my hands and say NO NO and she would stop. Sometimes she would get frustraited and cry, but she got the message. I never had a child that any of our animals bit, but I NEVER allowed a child to abuse one of our pets either. If it ever happened it happened out of my sight and I never heard about it. Now our children are grown (13 grands) and all have large dogs (One has four children ages 14 down to 8, and an English Mastiff and pit) and we have never had any problems with any of them. My belief is that it is all in training the CHILD in a firm way. It may sound unbelievable but the dogs behavior will mirror the childs. If the child is aggressive the dog MAY become aggressive in return. Pits in my experience will actually try to get away from the child, rather than act aggressively. Our children would lie down on our first pit, and she would gently ease out from under them and move to another location..over and over. It got to be a game to the children, but no matter how many times it happened the dog never got impatient. As an older dog, when they were in their teens whe WOULD see them lying on the floor watching television and SHE would pile up on top of them! Listen to your grandma :)

10. MyPetTherapyDog

Great post Suz