1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on getting a lazy cat moving??

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by dolly, May 7, 2004.

1. dolly

dolly New Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my 2 lazy kitties (Bonnie and Oliver) moving and am looking for suggestions. Unfortunately they don't care much for toys of any kind--I have a boxful (balls, wands, mice, etc.) but they show little to no interest. They are indoor cats, although Ollie loves to go out on the harness. Oliver used to love to play when we first got him but in the last few months he has lost interest. :? The only thing they do like is catnip, but I don't want to give it to them all the time as I think it will lose its effectiveness on them. THanks!

2. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

have u tried a laser pointer??? my cats go crazy over it.....

3. nern

nern New Member

What about toys that have catnip in them? I bought Bean a little pillow that had catnip in it and he loved it. I used to use it to play fetch with him all the time. It was one of the best ways for me to get him moving.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Dolly. :D I know Oliver could get some exercise by taking him on regular walks with his harness, since he loves it so much. Also, I'm not sure if your cats are overweight or not. If they are they will get very lazy. Once cats shed the weight they will have more energy to play. I'm not saying either of your kitties are heavy. I have no idea if they are. It's hard to tell in pics. Anyway, my point is that if they are a bit plump for their size you may want to talk to your vet and see if they should go on a diet. If they are a bit plump and they lose some weight they will have a lot more energy and will want to play a lot more.

5. dolly

dolly New Member

Thanks for the input.

FMGurl43, I haven't tried a laser pointer, maybe I should give it a try.

Nern, they like catnip but I'm not sure how often to give it to them--I don't want it to lose its effectiveness on them...any thoughts? They don't really chase the toys but rather roll around if the toys are in front of them.

Chessmind, Oliver isn't overweight but Bonnie is a little heavy. She's also arthritic in her back end, so I'm mainly concerned about her, although I would like to get the boy moving as well. She doesn't eat much (she would like more!) so we really can't cut back on her food any more than it is, so she really needs to move. She's almost 13 and takes glucosamine. I don't think I've posted her picture before, here she is:
    [​IMG]

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Aaawwww...she's so pretty Dolly. That must be tough for her to move around then. I'm sure it's painful. Poor kitty. The lazer pointer is great, but if your kitty has arthritis it's going to be tough to motivate her to move around a lot. It's worth a try tough. Just make sure to never point the lazer in their eyes. You probably already knew this though.

7. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

she is soooo cute i love her markings....as far as the catnip goes my kitty garfield has this lil catnip mouse he has had 4ever he plays w/ it non stop and has not lost any intrest in it...its his fav toy... he dont care 4 the laser when i play w/ my other cats w/ it he will just look at me and get up in my lap like hes saying "ok mom i know where its comming from u cant fool me"but his mouse he even takes to sleep w/ him he likes to nurse on it i swear hes almost human...lolmy other cats r not intrested in catnip what so ever gar is the only one that likes it simba on the other hand has a ball i got from petsmart that says petsmart on it and when he rolls it it makes alot of noise i think i paid a whole 44 cents 4 it but i have to buy a new one every week cause he always loses it. but he will play w/ that ball 24/7 if i let him... but sassy and chyanne go crazy over the laser.....

8. Cat

Cat New Member

Hi Dolly

I have the same problem with my two cats. The laser pointer works for about 30 seconds before they get bored. Both my kitties are indoors as well so I find if I block the patio steps and let them out in a controlled environment, they actually get more exerise walking around outside. They are also much happier too. Although the little runts try to get out at every opportunity and at every door afterwards!

Let me know what you find works with your cats!

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I need to forward this to my mother....Fleabag, he's obese, and the laziest cat I've ever seen!!!!!

He will go out and "prowl'' in the evenings for bugs and stuff, but he's right back at the door within an hour or two, to come in and sleep some more!!!

He's a beautiful cat, but oh soooo lazy!!!