1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

The Truth About Pittbulls (tissue in handy recommended)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by dogangel, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dogangel

dogangel New Member

Oh, this is sooo true. I'm not owned by pittbulls. It's a bunch of German Shepherds that do. GSDs have the same bad undeserved reputation.
    This site almost made me be embarrassed that I'm a human. Or that I can't do more to help these beautiful babies!!!

http://members.petfinder.org/~NJ309/pitvideo.swf

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

This is an incredible video clip from Hyena Klown. I email this when ever breed specific legislation laws are proposed. Then I add my own picture. This is my Grandson and his best friend in the world. I would trust this dog with my Grandchildren's life.

[​IMG][/img]

3. rottweiler_inc

rottweiler_inc New Member

I relized that pitbulls had it real bad at times but I never thought........that someone could do that to such a beautiful animal, after watching that I think I have changed my outlook on everything, I dont think I want to breed rotties, I want to take my time to read up on pitbulls and what I can do to start a pitbull rescue when I get older and get these poor babies out of such bad condisions.........I really want to help them so bad, the video made me ball my eyes out and I really dont think I could watch it again........it is soo soo sad.

4. Trixiepoo

Trixiepoo New Member

thats so horrible to watch. I must agree all the pitbulls ive met have been really sweet. :|

5. horse_child

horse_child New Member

OMG! I never new that the extent of the abuse to Pitts was that bad! :cry: Some of those parts made me want to cry and other made me smile and laugh (the ones of the kid riding the pit and the pit laying behind a smiling baby) they're right a picture is worth a thousand words. WOW! that was horrible! gosh though, i mean even if you did save those dogs, would they ever be the same? i don't know, i wish i did.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Their eyes tell it all. Those horribly abused dogs should be angry and mean, but instead they are looking at the camera with such huge, sad eyes.

7. LucyLu

LucyLu New Member

Are PittBulls born with agression or is it taught? I know nothing about them, so I am just curious. They have such a bad reputation and it is so sad that they are mistreated and taught to fight. If a pittbull is raised in a loving and healthy environment, does it have the chance of being any more aggressive than, say, a Lab?
    The screens flash by very fast in the video (must be my computer), so I can't read what it is saying.

8. Angie

Angie New Member

I have one female Pitbull.
    My brother has 4 females, and 1 male Pitbull.
    NONE of them are aggressive.
    They are very sweet and loveable and they love the attention.
    One of his females and mine love to give kisses! They will slobber all over you if you let!
    Meadow (my brothers blue female) will sit in your lap and beg for attention!
    They need a lot of attention, exercise, and love.
    They are a great breed to have if you can give them the attention. I don't think its right that some people stick them on a rope or chain outside and never give the attention. IMO, not having that human contact can make them aggressive. Thats just what I think.
    I love that picture with the baby and Pitbull. Its so cute! Really shows how sweet they can be.

My aunt is terrified of my dog because she is a Pitbull. She won't come in the house unless the dog is in the kennel. She will pet Shianne through the kennel but won't let me open it. She told me "I wish I could pet her but Im just so scared that she will snap." :roll:
    But what gets me is that she has some kind of little furry dog (dont know the breed) that 'snapped' at two different people and bit one on the face. :shock:

I am hoping that one day I can change her feelings about Pitbulls.

9. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

IMO this is one of the most wonderful and smartest breed of dogs. I grew up with them in my home and as part of my family. An APBT's desire to please its human is its driving force in life. You will not find a more loyal pet. Piper is the 4th APBT I have shared my life with. She is 8 1/2 months old now and I swear she truly believes she is one of us!

This is a link to the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. Take a moment and review the statistics for yourself. In 2003 the APBT passed the test 83.9% of the time compared to the Cocker Spaniel with 81.3% and the Golden Retriever with 83.2%. Labs scored an awesome 91.0%. I think several of the scores will surprise you!

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

You can also browse the Pit Bull Forum and read what some of the owners have to say and the stories they have to tell if you are interested.

And YES, you can make a Pit Bull mean. However, you can make any breed of dog mean. The only dog I have ever been bitten by was a Chiuaha. The main difference here is the Pit Bull has the strength and determination to do a lot more damage than many other breeds. It is very unfortunate that these dogs are sometimes placed very bad situations. Shame on us Humans!!!!

Anyway - I'll get off my soapbox for now. Hope you find the ATTS scores interesting!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Please, someone with pit bulls speak up if this is incorrect - but I believe that pit bulls can naturally tend to have some dog-dog aggression. Not all of them do, but some do (just like any other breed). I don't know if it is more common in pit bulls than in another breed.

However, pit bulls are NOT aggressive to humans any more frequently than any other breed UNLESS THEY ARE TAUGHT. Many people confuse dog-dog aggression with dog-human aggression which is a much different thing.

The pit bull's loyalty and desire to please humans is one reason the breed was chosen to be used as a fighting dog - because people could make them do it. It's disgusting.

Someone posted a website once that had all sorts of historical photos of pit bulls and statistics and stuff, but I can't find it. It showed how pit bulls were the symbol of America during one of the world wars - war posters with the pit bull shown protecting a child, etc.

11. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Yes, Jamiya - that is basically correct. Some Pits do become dog agressive once they reach maturity - some do not. Once they have had a fight, you have to always assume another will happen if given the opportunity. This should in no way be confused with human aggression, which should NEVER happen. There are many, many discussions on the Pit Bull forum concerning this issue.

I used to have the website you mentioned bookmarked, but I cannot find it? I will keep looking and add a link if I come across it.

These dogs continue to be one of the most misunderstood and abused dog breeds. Unfortunately, they are also probably the most controversial.

Here is a picture of my baby girl, Piper:
    [​IMG]

12. horse_child

horse_child New Member

OHHHHH!!!! piper's so pretty!