1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of a Conure...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Sara, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

HELLO! I'm usually on the dog and horse boards but I've been thinking on getting myself a Green Cheeked Conure... I've had Budgies before...LOTS of them and when I went off to college they stayed with my mom and have ever since... I've always wanted a larger bird to play around with and stuff and I'm thinking of getting the Conure I mentioned... I REALLY want to get an African Grey one day ultimately but think that it's best to work up to one like that... Anyway... Any thoughts?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Sara i think Green cheeked conures are very cute looking birds i have added some links for you to help decide about which bird you would like they are links to different breeds of parrots hope these help.

Mike

http://centralpets.com/critterpages/bir ... 1342.shtml

http://www.feathert.com/mutations.html

http://www.concentric.net/~conure/conures.shtml

http://www.wingscc.com/aps/grey.htm

http://ks.essortment.com/africangraypar_rtze.htm

http://www.parrotlets.com/

http://www.hideawayfarms.com/aviary/parrotlet.html

The last 2 links are about Parrotlets they are said to be big parrots in little bodies and they are cute and can be taught to talk and do tricks just like there larger cousins.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Thanks for the links.

I've acutally been researching off and on for about 4 years now... LOL... And I have pretty much decided on the Green cheeked because for ONE my BF has reservations because his mother had a pair of hellatiously loud Lovebirds (common for pairs to make life miserable screeming and vocalizing I've since learned) and he knows VERY little about birds... Anyway...ALSO because I want something on the larger side to get ready for that African Grey... ALSO temperment is something I'm thinking about...as well as availability... I like the plainer birds rather than the brighter colored birds... Bright birds tend to give people the creeps (my people anyway)... I just like the dull birds myself... If the Grey had the temperment and size of a McCaw but color of the grey...and vice versa...I'd go with the dull grey bird likely...LOL

Thanks again for the links...some are very cool!

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

From what i have read about the green cheeked conure they sound like reallynice birds to own if it was me i would have one but i have way to many pets at the moment and my partner will not let me get anymore lol.

let me know if and when you get one and pictures are a must :)

5. Sara

Sara New Member

I'll definately keep you posted and stuff...

My BF is really not sure about it though...so I understand the too many pets deal...LOL... He has begun to take an interrest to learn more about them and seems to be softening is ideas... He likes Rats so I just can't see him not liking a bird... The birds he had as a kid were not that well taken care of he talks about them stinking and being so messy... and I'm fantasizing about...well about cleaning up after a bird and playing with them... HE was soooo sheltered he'd never known you could just hang out with a bird on your head or shoulder... Last night we were looking through a mag and he's like... People really just carry them around like that? I was shocked! I said YEAH...they're a lot like Rats with wings...LOL... We met one at the pet store awhile back...not sure what kind but he was PRICEY... ANdy liked him so... I think my chances are VERY good that I'll be adding one to my family soon!

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I have gerbils they were supposed to be both male well i think the neighbours heard me scream with fright when i saw these little pink things moving in the cage its been years since i had gerbils with babies but they are soo cute since they getting there fur.

One of my cockatiel pairs have started laying eggs so i could have babies from them soon.
    My finch's are now nesting again since there chick has started eating and drinking on its own so more babies to come from them lol.

My stepdaughters love bird is driving me mad as she has started to mimic the cockatiels and 6.30am every morning without fail they all start to sing lol

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I want a green cheeked conure, too! There was one at PetCo here that one of the workers used to carry around on her shoulder. That one was in the store for a very long time and was a little cranky. When she finally sold, they got a new one in and she was the BEST! I loved that bird on first sight, but I didn't think it would be a good idea to get her with my cat and dog situation. She sold FAST because she was such an awesome little bird.

If you get one, let us know how it goes! I am thinking of finches, since I don't think my husband (or my other animals) are up to an out-of-cage bird at this time. Someday, though! Maybe a bird and a bunny....

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Yes I've been toying with the idea for a LONG time but my situation with my own dogs has been tough and wouldn't really go with a bird...BUT I'm currently moving to a new house that is PERFECT for the lifestyle I would need to have so that I can spend time with the dogs and an out of the cage type bird... I'm VERY excited at the prospect. I've been inquiring here and there and am pleased that I will soon likely be the owner of a newly weaned Baby Green cheek... I hope... *crossing fingers*. My Boyfriend was somewhat tenative but we've discussed and learned more... A couple more trips to the Pet store to meet birds and I think he'll be in the bag...right?

We already have soo many animals it's somewhat daunting but I've re-done my schedule over and over and have AMPLE time to spend with a bird as well as the rest of the Menagerie...LOL...

9. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

i been reading all this and dreaming lol

the parrotlette birds sound adorable, however my favorite bird is the African Grey, second smartest bird after the Raven. they are adorable little things.

i have a budgie and a cockatiel now, the budgie is only about 2 years old, the other is at least 20 and he's still going strong. which is amazing considering he's disabled.

but- to my point, Sarah, have u thought about finding an organisation where u can adopt birds who were abandoned?.. i always thought that was a nice idea..

10. Sara

Sara New Member

I have and unfortunately there is no orgs. near me and none of them are willing to ship (rightly so as most birds in rescue are delicate little things)...

African grey's are also my favorite...but it will be awhile before I can get one...if I had a rescue opportunity to get one I would be all over it... HOWEVER since I am a first parrot owner I think that might also be a mistake as most Rescue Parrots have issues that need caring for... So till I learn more about teh parrots and caring for them and till I can find a rescue in my area (closest one is in Aspen and unwilling to do out of state adoptions)...I'll have to purchase from a good breeder.

Good thought though...