1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

This is hard....Please help!! =)

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Kassandra, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Kassandra

Kassandra New Member

I really want another bird, but if I would get one it wouldn't be a budgie or small birds like that. I mean a parrot, cockatoo? stuff like that...but do you know any other nice breeds of birds that you could just let them rest on your shoulder? If so please post!! We need your help!! :y_the_best:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi before buying a large breed bird you need to research everything about them.

Unlike the smaller birds parrots, cockatoo's need extra care and need alot of time spent with them.

Not all parrots or cockatoo's will sit with there owners unless you buy from a breeder that has spent the time to hand tame them.
    Parrots and cockatoo's when they are annoyed or scared of something will give a very nasty bite and have been known to break finger bones due to the strength of there beaks.

Consider all your options and do alot of research before getting one yes they are lovely bird and most do make great pets but most do not...

Mike

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

One parrot you might research is the Quaker. They're not as large as many of the other parrots, like Amazons, but they're not as tempermental, either. They're pretty hardy; there are colonies descended from escaped/released Quakers in cities as far north as Chicago. Some of them will learn to say a few words, but they aren't the best talkers. Mine enjoyed sitting on my shoulder, the back of my chair, and swinging from the curtain rods where I couldn't reach her when she had to go back in her cage, LOL.

But like all good parrots, she was loud! First thing in the morning, at around 3 in the afternoon, whenever we ran the vacumn or blender, and at sundown, the calling would start and last for a good half hour. It can get on your nerves, but more importantly, it can get on the neighbors nerves if you live in an apartment. Something to keep in mind should you decide to bring a parrot into the house.

4. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

deffinately research all u can prior to buying.

remember, not all birds come like u see in the movies, all happy and willing to be good and sit on your shoulder. It takes ALOT of paitence and training :)

Having a cockatoo for example is like having a permanent 2 year old for a long time... there is a bird out there thats right for u, just gotta find it :)

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Check out the small Conures as well and Parottlets...

6. seaecho

seaecho New Member

I have ten parrots, and really think this over thoroughly before you go ahead and buy one. I love my birds - they are my babies, but they can be LOUD. My husband and I don't mind, but when certain people come over, they can't stand to be in the bird room more than about five minutes! Some people have no tolerance for loud bird noises. And conures (most of them) can be almost as loud as a Cockatoo or a macaw, believe it or not. Some have very shrill voices. I have a Patagonian, Dusky and Gold Cap Conure, and both the Patty and the Gold Cap have extremely harsh, shrill voices that absolutely rattle your eardrums. So be sure you can withstand all that noise before even considering a conure of any type. Our Blue and Gold macaw can literally make the walls shake when he really gets going. Even our Eclectus has quite a loud "honk" that you wouldn't believe came from him! Birds, in my opinion, require even more attention than a dog does. They are extremely messy - more messy even than a guinea pig. They need a wide variety of fruits and veggies on a daily basis, their bowls cleaned every day with soap and water, and they need a regular variety of toys that are rotated. This can get expensive., along with all the perches of different sizes and textures because their feet need the exercise. They should have as big a cage as possible. The majority of people have birds in cages that are MUCH too small. Our conures and cockatiels have cages that are 4 ft wide and 2 and a half feet deep - and I'd like them to be even bigger. They also need out-of-cage time every day - for at least 2-3 hours. A bird is a HUGE committment, so be sure you can handle it. The large ones (like macaws, cockatoos, amazons, etc) live for a very long time, so that's yet another consideration. The Goffins cockatoo is often a good choice, since they (usually) don't scream quite as loud as a full size cockatoo, are very loving and cuddly, and are too cute too! What I hate to see the most, and it breaks my heart, is a bird sitting in a cage with little or no attention. Please make sure you'd have plenty of time and love to give to a parrot.

7. jelyb

jelyb New Member

Choosing a Larger Bird as pet

Hi, i recently purchased a sulpher crested cockatoo and he is beautiful and nearly talking. however, he can be very very loud and can also bite very hard. He is fully hand raised, almost toilet trained and nearly talking. But he is also very demanding of your attention. If you are willing to take the time to play, train and entertain your bird, than most parrots are for you. I recommend that you fully research your choice, as did I. I looked into a variety of parrots before choosing my baby - you should also research behaviour tendancies that occur when they reach puberty. Some parrots have a tendancy to turn paternal, while some will be a great companion. I also recommend purchasing from a quality breeder - shop around.