1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

to desex or not to desex?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jules, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules New Member

That is the question.

My pup will be coming up to five months in a few weeks and my vet has told me if I want to get her desexed this would be a prime time to have it done- as it eliminates any chance of breast cancer.

He also went on to say that she truly is a great looking dog- everything in order- beautiful temperament (he just went on and on and on- boy was I a proud Mum) and said it would be a perfect dog to breed. She's a brown dobe. I would love to do it and am a very dedicated person and would try to the best of my abilities that if I ever do breed dogs that they would go to good homes, I'd probably make a printout of guidelines for looking after them, and I also read something in a book once about a breeder who says to the people her pups go to that if they ever need to "get rid" of the dog they can bring it back to her, no matter what age. She doesn't condone this in any way, but truth is people do it (sometimes for legit reasons) and she would hate to think her pups would one day end up in a pound.

But then again, I think there are enough dogs already lacking homes, and I'm not sure if I'd want to add to that. The pressure to find good homes for them I imagine would be overwhelming.

Also, when we had our last dog desexed I felt a bit sad and guilty, like I had taken something away from him without his permission. But I guess it was for the best.

I probably will get her desexed, but I am interested to know people's thoughts on the topics I have raised here. :0015:

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have yet to get mine desexed but I fully plan on it when I can find a vet that will not suck me dry. I am too scared to breed with all the problems that can go along with it. So in my opinion its best to have them desexed. Now if you are serious about breeding and fully educate yourself and have a experianced breeder that is willing to help and are doing it to better the breed not just because you think she will have nice pups. Then by all means go for it!!! But you are right, there are alot of nice dogs out there that need good homes. All in All I would go with the desexing but its your decision and good luck in what ever you decide!

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I just went through this with my puppy (6 mos - got neutered Friday). He's a great dog. Great temperment, health, etc. I would have loved to have bred him. Well....not entirely true, I would have loved to have had a puppy from him. This was my problem and the reason I decided to get him neutered. I have neither the time nor the patience nor the money to deal with a pregnant dog, then puppies, etc. I just have too much going on. I thought he was plenty of work when he was a puppy, I couldn't imagine having to deal with 6 or more. I also didn't want any problems with him later in life with aggression or trying to get out b/c of a female in heat, etc. It is just easier on me to have him neutered. Rather than wait and deal with the "well, what if in x yrs I want a puppy?" If that happens I'll just buy one. From what I understand from breeders, those puppies are cheaper than the home-grown kind.

I also think neutered dogs are happier, at least that was my experience with another dog I had. We waited until he was 3 yrs to get him neutered; only reason we did it then was b/c we had problems with him being moody, etc.

Overall, it is the easiest thing for you and the dog.

Oh, and with females in heat, first off, they smell really bad, second, you have to follow them around the house with carpet cleaner in hand.

4. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Its a big question. Most breeders would tell you only to breed to better your breed. If your dog is good quality, and has a terrific temperment, then I would look for professional dobe breeders in your area to talk to about breeding her. If someone who "shows" dobe's thinks she is quality enough that they would breed her to one of their males, then I would seriously consider breeding her. Just make sure you breed to a quality male. One that has a great temperment, and has been tested for genetic disorders. That is why I suggest going to a show breeder because the males they would offer would be tested. Temperment is genetic, and should be a major concern of anyone thinking about breeding. You should also look into the costs that could be incurred if something when wrong, C-section, bottle feeding, etc. Good luck...and tell us what you decide!!! 8)

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Do you know your dog's pedigree? There is a LOT that goes into breeding. Search on this forum for some previous threads about this. Also, do some research on your own - particularly look into health risks for your dog so you know what could happen.

Jamiya

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

if your dog doesnt have a pedigree and it isnt up to breed standard there just isnt any point. its like breeding 2 moggy cats together, whats the point?

7. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

I have heard the term Moggie before....what exactly does that mean????
    Im having a ditzy moment here.... :D

8. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

cat of unkown breed. your average dsh etc. moggy sounds cute.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We bred two pet store mice together and the babies are dying young (6-9 months) and now two of them have huge, nasty tumors. Just an example of what can happen when you breed two seemingly healthy, fine-looking yet unknown animals together.

Now, imagine if they were dogs and this happened......so, if you don't know the history of your dog and the stud dog, please don't breed!

Jamiya

10. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

for the health of your dog and the future of puppies please go with the spay. You just never know what is going to happen during a dog's pregnancy or with the pups and if you aren't an experienced breeder things can happen you just aren't prepared for - and it can be very expensive. What if one of the "wonderful" homes changes its mind about taking a pup? What would you do? What if mom needs a c-section and has a complicated pregnancy? Too many ifs to breed just cause you have a nice dog regardless of breed.

Please spay - our local shelter has a GORGEOUS 10 month old dobbie awaiting a home right now...she is also brown. She's been there 10 months and I've met her - she's sweet. Just cause the are "purebred" doesn't mean anyone wants them - shelters are getting more and more purebred dogs and it's just so sad.

she's 8 months old (just looked)...not cropped - isn't she a beaut? And she continues to wait. Why add to the already overburdened shelters and rescues it sounds like you are unsure I hope this helps to make up your mind.

[​IMG]

11. Jules

Jules New Member

When I read this I could relate to this. I was pretty sure that I was going to get her desexed, and now I am 100% sure. I do not know the history of my pup, the reason I was thinking about it was because of what the vet said. Anyway, if I ever want to get another dog there are plenty of them out there. This is not the entire reason I was thinking about it, but you do think of these things aswell, don't you? I am always thinking about how many dogs out there who are negleted or abused, and I just couldn't trust being able to find homes that would be up to my standard- for so many dogs. I work with alot of people who have dogs, and they either keep them outside all the time, or they tell me old ways of training that they stick to which are really outdated, wrong & cruel. I once saw a young girl walking her dog and hitting it, it was only a pup and didn't even know what it was doing wrong- this girl was quite young too- I wouldn't expect she wouldn't have gotten this behaviour from herself, I'm sure the parents would have shown her that's what to do.
    That dobe is beautiful, it astounds me that people can give them up. I'm going away for the weekend and I'm going to miss my dogs so much- I'll only be gone for two days... I could never give my dogs away. I think I should put my efforts into helping/ rescuing. I was going to do some voluntering work near me, they have an info session every now and then, must go to the next one.
    Thanks for your reply's, good to hear everyone's views.

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

good for you Jules :eek: I think your gut was telling you to not breed your dog while your vet shouldn't have kept his/her nose out of the entire thing and not offered an opinion.

You'll be happier and you know your dog will not having to deal with a litter of puppies.

13. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I think you are making the right decision. :D

honeybear

15. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

I had wanted to breed my Pit Bull Foolish to get a pup out of him in case something was to ever happen to him. I came to terms that breeding any unproven dog is not the best decision. If a dog is not titled or proven in some sort of ring work etc then you cant truly know if your dog is breeding material. Reputable breeders are breeding to ensure the future of breeds and make sure quality, not quanity overcomes. All of my animals in exception to the new puppy is spayed/neutered. I too have a 1 yr old chocolate Dobi who is a very good speciman of the breed but I spayed her. There is no good reason to breed a dog if you are not a professional. When Foolish passes on I will be very sad but having a direct decendant from him will not be any different than rescuing/buying a pup that needs a home and is already out there. When you breed you contribute to the problem. Even if you make sure your pups go to good loving homes, they can breed them and mass produce even MORE pups. You cannot guarantee that you would be producing genetically sound pups so why take the risk. Spaying not only is healthier for your dog but can add years to their lives. A VET of all people should not be reccomending breeding. I suggest getting a new vet. I know you already made your decision but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

Kim

16. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Why should a vet not suggest breeding? I know several vets who do breed! That IS NOT a reason to get a new vet!!!!!!!!!!!!! [-X

17. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

if the dog has a good pedigree, is regularly shown and has good hip/eye tests, then to mention breeding to an owner is ok. but to suggest any old dog mates is ridiculous! a vet who does this obviously has their heart in the wrong place. saying 'get a new vet' sounds pretty reasonable to me.

18. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

How is their heart in the wrong place when some vets are as uneducated about breeding as the normal person? If a vet supports breeding, then he makes money when the pups come in to get their shots. Most vets that I know would suggest breeding a pretty dog, just for that reason! Im not saying it is a good attitude, but it is true! Around here it would be impossible to keep a vet if you wouldnt go to one with that viewpoint!

19. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

youve just stated why saying 'get a new vet' is acceptable. greedy vets arent good vets. i have never come across a vet who says 'go breed your dog/cat'. and the day i do come across one that says that, ill be thinking twice about seeing them.

20. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Different countries mean different standards.....lucky for me my uncle-in-law is a vet and I dont have to worry about the others! :)