1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Too much algea ....

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fish Addict, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hey all i have been trying to get rid of this algea problem i have had for to long now i have tried everything but chemicals and UV Sterilizer i need ideas if you have anyplease tell me

2. dude412

dude412 New Member

i use a scraper custom built a lil mini comp squeegie from package tape to the end of a wooden dowel and vawla u have a scraper thats what i use

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i have a scraper work ok to control it but its back in a week

4. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

Do you have live plants in the tank?
    Does it get sunlight?
    Do you have any fish that will eat the algea in the tank?

I had the same problem when I had my 10 gallon and then the same problem with my 55 gallon. It even bloomed!!! :shock: Then I got some live plants and moved the 55 gallon to a different spot. And also put in one algea eater and now the problem is gone. The 10 gallon is in storage now. I think the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep up. But that is just me.

Good luck!

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

mine tank are a 125 have two pleco's a 1 foot if not bigger they get no sunlight and i can't have live plants i have oscars and silver dollors in there the oscars tears them up and the silvers dollors eats them so it a no go on live plants thats is why i am kinda thinking U.V Sterilizer they are pricey tho
    thanks for the tips tho

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How often do you do water changes and what are your nitrAte readings before the water changes?

-Chelle

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

weekly 0

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

0? Your nitrAtes should not be 0 (not that 0 is bad, it's just virtually impossible to have a nitrAte reading of 0).

-Chelle

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

lol sorry thats nitrite its 20ppm i always get those two confused